Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW is committed to offering candidates an annual salary between $2 million and $3 million annually

Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited March 2017 in Payton's Place
So this pretty much rules out Gregg Marshall. FWIW, Kevin O neill also ranks us fourth, behind Indiana, NCSU and Illinois, in front of Louisiana state and Cal.

What do you guys think? The salary makes sense considering we are not a big basketball school, but it's hard to believe that we can get a good coach with that amount of money.

What we should hope for is that Indiana and Illinois both pry away power 5 coaches that currently have a job, so that we have more mid major coaches to choose from.

Comments

• Options
    dnc said:

So this pretty much rules out Gregg Marshall. FWIW, Kevin O neill also ranks us fourth, behind Indiana, NCSU and Illinois, in front of Louisiana state and Cal.

What do you guys think? The salary makes sense considering we are not a big basketball school, but it's hard to believe that we can get a good coach with that amount of money.

What we should hope for is that Indiana and Illinois both pry away power 5 coaches that currently have a job, so that we have more mid major coaches to choose from.

$2-3M should get a quality coach
    Yes it might be. However, we are competing against NCSU and Illinois for these coaches. We don't really need to worry about Indiana as they are not going for the coaches that we are going for.
  • Options

Hire young and hungry at 2 million and they will think its awesome. If they are good they get a raise. If not gone, no warning, just gone.

Who would be a young and hungry guy? Richard Pitino?
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hire young and hungry at 2 million and they will think its awesome. If they are good they get a raise. If not gone, no warning, just gone.

This would be my route. Up and comer thrilled with $2 mill and UW, huge buyout if he leaves early, no buyout if he's terminated
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Cal ranked too high.

But still a better job than UW.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

Cal ranked too high.

But still a better job than UW.
    Location wise yes. They do have to compete with LA and USC for recruits though, so we have the advantage in terms of recruiting at UW.
  • Options
    doogville said:

This would be my route. Up and comer thrilled with $2 mill and UW, huge buyout if he leaves early, no buyout if he's terminated
    What is 'young'? under 50 years old?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck no.

Jen - you have people monitoring this. Just no. Please. Just fucking no.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I'm really sold strong on Eric Musselman of the likely candidates, unless there is an out of the blue big time hire (Hoiberg or something like that).
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I'm really sold strong on Eric Musselman of the likely candidates, unless there is an out of the blue big time hire (Hoiberg or something like that).

Engineer a trade with Iowa St to let them take Hoiberg back in exchange for getting Steve Prohm
  • Options

People have said that Hoiberg does not like recruiting, so it is unlikely that he'll come.
  • Options

I don't follow closely enough to know but it is the best business decision. Hungry is better than a Crean guy that will be bitter and already failed
    True, we can either get a proven mediocre coach like Crean, or we can take a chance with a hungry not proven coach.
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

If they land him make sure not to get too attached. Dude makes Larry Brown look like the model of stability. Following his first coaching gig he's coached at 14 different places and never stayed longer than 2 years.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Indiana will target Alford

NC State has been on Archie Miller

Illinois is as much of a dumpster fire as the UW job at this point ...

LSU is terrible ... they'll make a bad hire

Cal will go after Randy Bennett

Assuming Alford takes the Indiana job, who UCLA goes after will be interesting on a couple of levels. First, how big of a contract do they throw out there and if a huge one what does that do to their ability to move on from. Similar to how Pete wasn't a good fit at USC, I'm not sure Marshall is a great fit for UCLA. He's an energy, defensive minded coach with a focus on team accomplishment over the individual and UCLA likes offense and loves promoting its stars.

IF Marshall was listening, I think it's more likely that he'd be interested in Washington ahead of Illinois. UCLA is UCLA ... so that would obviously be a huge issue to dodge ... probably best to then hope that Marshall is out first weekend before UCLA is eliminated and anything with Alford is decided.
  • Options
    I don't think Marshall will take a pay cut to come to Washington.
  • Options

he won't, that's why he's ruled out
  • Options

he won't, that's why he's ruled out
    I know!