Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2017 Husky Combine Nonofficial Thread

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

Here's the thing about injuries ... they can happen at any time and often come as the result of non-contact situations ... it's part of the risk of playing sports.

You hate seeing them at any time to anybody ... but barring anything uniquely significant he'll end up being fine in the long run ...

Even if it is year ending for his first professional year and hurts his draft stock, the likelihood is that he'll get picked by a good/great organization that has the depth to be able to stash him for a year.

Things happen for a reason ... you never know why at the time but they tend to work out in the long run.

That's an optimistic way of looking at things. It's not reality. Shitty teams pick in the later rounds too, teams trade around, teams are good one year and shitty the next, etc.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Here's the thing about injuries ... they can happen at any time and often come as the result of non-contact situations ... it's part of the risk of playing sports.

You hate seeing them at any time to anybody ... but barring anything uniquely significant he'll end up being fine in the long run ...

Even if it is year ending for his first professional year and hurts his draft stock, the likelihood is that he'll get picked by a good/great organization that has the depth to be able to stash him for a year.

Things happen for a reason ... you never know why at the time but they tend to work out in the long run.

First paragraph is spot on.

After that, I have a hard time with this. He's going to lose a ton of money on his first contract, plus probably endorsement money. And I don't think the odds that he ends up with a great opportunity and organization are any better or worse than he was before the injury.

Sometimes the reason things happen is we live in a shitty broken world.
    I wonder if the players projected in the first round get insured after the season? I would assume so.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

After that, I have a hard time with this. He's going to lose a ton of money on his first contract, plus probably endorsement money. And I don't think the odds that he ends up with a great opportunity and organization are any better or worse than he was before the injury.

Also a fair stance ...

There's always a chance a team with a lot of picks like Cleveland would be willing to draft and stash ... but more often than not it is the smarter teams that are willing to draft and stash.

No question that he'll potentially lose money on his first contract but with the way the draft salaries have been curbed you tend to get paid now with your second contract. If one falls out of the first round I'm pretty sure you get through your first contract faster so who knows how it plays out in the long run.

As for endorsement dollars, I can't imagine it's THAT significant ... I don't think Marcus Peters has significant dollars ... endorsements tend to go primarily to offensive players.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    My Hawks will get a steal late in the first round!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Also a fair stance ...

There's always a chance a team with a lot of picks like Cleveland would be willing to draft and stash ... but more often than not it is the smarter teams that are willing to draft and stash.

No question that he'll potentially lose money on his first contract but with the way the draft salaries have been curbed you tend to get paid now with your second contract. If one falls out of the first round I'm pretty sure you get through your first contract faster so who knows how it plays out in the long run.

As for endorsement dollars, I can't imagine it's THAT significant ... I don't think Marcus Peters has significant dollars ... endorsements tend to go primarily to offensive players.
    I had the same thought about Cleveland, if the injury is significant I'd say there's a good (20-25%) chance he ends up there.

You're probably right about endorsements. I believe the CBA says that first round picks get four year deals with a team option for the fifth year but the nature of the option depends on how high in the first round taken and what position you play. Non first rounders just get four years of team control.

I'm pretty sure for a kid coming out they're more concerned about the guaranteed up front money than the shot at bigger money down the line, but I could be wrong. There's certainly a chance this all works out fine for him (especially if the injury isn't significant). There's also a chance this alters his trajectory significantly.

I blame @DeontaeCooper being in the house.
  • Options

My Hawks will get a steal late in the first round!

Arms too short
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If it's the Achilles that's probably worst case scenario ... but at the same time, that's as much of a wear and tear injury as anything ... very rarely does it just go randomly.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2017
    How the hell do you guys not know the difference between the UW Combine and Pro Day?
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

How the hell do you guys not know the difference between the UW Combine and Pro Day?

It's the same day, one's in the morning and one's in the afternoon
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,979
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'm holding out hope that it was just diarrhea and he shat himself laughing at baby beavers baby vert.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Also a fair stance ...

They don't get big money but earlier picks get better initial deals. There are local ads too and water is wet, but a first rounder gets those before a later pick.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Delete your account, fucking moron.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Chico! Dropping that 40 time down!