Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Woodward and Cohen: Still crooked as fuck

2»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I support the idea of Title IX ... I hate the execution of it

The problem is that football completely skews the numbers and forces some really difficult decisions for ADs ...

I would 100% endorse equality under Title IX for total men's and women's scholarships when you exclude football ... otherwise everything is rediculously apples and oranges

Agree. Football should be excluded as it's the Golden Goose. How'd that work out for the swim team when the football program sucked and revenues were down?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,765
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Title IX is great in theory, stupid in practice. All about "equal" outcomes instead of "equal" opportunity. It won't be actually equal and fair until women's field hockey packs 70k into Husky Stadium. Until then, it's all about subsidies for women's sports with zero revenue prospects that NOGAF about. Artificial equality>Equality.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

The problem is that football completely skews the numbers and forces some really difficult decisions for ADs ...

I would 100% endorse equality under Title IX for total men's and women's scholarships when you exclude football ... otherwise everything is rediculously apples and oranges

Why can't UW just start a women's field hockey team or something like that. Why do they need to pad the crew numbers? Were they just being cheap and trying to avoid the cost of a coach and facilities for another women's sport?

Hell, I'll gladly coach a UW women's ultimate frisbee team for free. I don't even mind hairy legs.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

I've said that for years. Football, being the unique revenue generating entity that it is, should stand on its own. Then give out an equal number of men's and women's scholarships for the other sports.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,765
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

I've said that for years. Football, being the unique revenue generating entity that it is, should stand on its own. Then give out an equal number of men's and women's scholarships for the other sports.
    To be clear, I don't see the sense in spending money on enterprises of any type that have zero prospects of ever generating revenue on their own, or providing a similar value or benefit to the school besides equaling out the numbers of men & women in sports. It's just tokenism, 101. And just lazy, really.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,636
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Cohen appears to be dialed in.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    jecornel said:

Cohen appears to be dialed in.

Just trying to shortcut the budget deficit
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,338
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    doogie said:

UW Athletic Director Jennifer Cohen, who stepped into the role last year, said she was unaware that there might be issues with roster reporting and was concerned by what The Times had found.

Wait, didn't the President squeal in the announcing press conference that Cohen's tenure within UW and compliance work were the reasons she got promoted in spite of having zero experience running an athletic department?

There's a difference between NCAA cumpliance and Title IX cumpliance.

Some of you need to learn the fucking difference.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    hardy har har

the HAMMER! is coming for sure, any day now
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

I have a solution for you rubes.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The point of Title 9 is precisely because women's sports can't support themselves and a football exception would further widen the gap between male and female athletes at colleges where females are more represented on campus than males as they are today.

Clear?