Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lorenzo Romar on 2-16 league record: ‘No way I thought that would happen’

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

His philosophy wasn't dying. He was reliant on Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone for X's and O's. As soon as they left, we lost all discipline and competency.

Stop it with this doogism. Romar went to four out of six of his NCAAs without Bone, including 2 of the three Sweet 16s. And massive lol at the idea Dollar was an X's and O's guy. If he was worth a damn at X's and O's he wouldn't be a complete failure at Seattle U.

It was Roy and IT (plus Nate/Will/Bobby and Brockman/Pondexter/MBA) that elevated those first teams. Not two coaches who have sucked total ass since leaving.
    Tre - Fuckin-Money - Simmons, Baby!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    doogville said:

The failure is still remarkable. Romar has had two teams with two 1st round picks that he couldn't sniff the tourney with (Ross/wroten, Murray/Chriss).

Other teams miss with a single superstar surrounded by dreck (similar to fultz), but two superstars? And twice?

That's stunning.

Wroten was a bust, and another one-and-done distraction. Agree on the others.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

doogville said:

The failure is still remarkable. Romar has had two teams with two 1st round picks that he couldn't sniff the tourney with (Ross/wroten, Murray/Chriss).

Other teams miss with a single superstar surrounded by dreck (similar to fultz), but two superstars? And twice?

That's stunning.

Wroten had flaws but he was still pretty good. I know many disagree but he was an All Conference player that had stretches where he was the best player on the team.

Gaddy was the true bust and that team had nobody in the front court. The conference was horrible. And Romar was the coach.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

doogville said:

That's stunning.

Wroten had flaws but he was still pretty good. I know many disagree but he was an All Conference player that had stretches where he was the best player on the team.

Gaddy was the true bust and that team had nobody in the front court. The conference was horrible. And Romar was the coach.
    Yea, wroten was an insane talent. Imagine if he would have been coached up...
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Wroten sucked in large part because he always believed his press clippings and never understood what it took to be successful
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Wroten sucked in large part because he always believed his press clippings and never understood what it took to be successful

Word.
  • Options

Romar also had no idea how to adapt to the new rules on hand checking. When his pressure defense started getting called every time they touched someone the fouls racked up and the starters went to the bench. I saw something where after the rule change in preseason Coach Cal had his players hands tied behind their back when working on defense. No touching, only use your feet. He did that pre year fucking one of the rule change. Romar kept things status quo and eventually gave up on pressure and switched to a zone. Blamed the athleticism of his players. Zero adjustments or teaching, just a clueless mess.

There's a drill that I always think back on with regards to defense ... you take a towel, roll it up like you are about to slap someone in the ass/balls with it ... place the towel behind your back and hold with both hands ... now stay in front of the offensive player

Good defense starts with making sure you're in position with your feet first and then using your hands to take advantage of sloppy ball handling or bad shot selection ... all reaching does is pick up fouls and get you out of position.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    TIL @Tequilla singlehandedly caused the downfall of UW basketball by outcoaching Romar while balling out at the IMA with Elston Turner.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Romar also had no idea how to adapt to the new rules on hand checking. When his pressure defense started getting called every time they touched someone the fouls racked up and the starters went to the bench. I saw something where after the rule change in preseason Coach Cal had his players hands tied behind their back when working on defense. No touching, only use your feet. He did that pre year fucking one of the rule change. Romar kept things status quo and eventually gave up on pressure and switched to a zone. Blamed the athleticism of his players. Zero adjustments or teaching, just a clueless mess.

There's a drill that I always think back on with regards to defense ... you take a towel, roll it up like you are about to slap someone in the ass/balls with it ... place the towel behind your back and hold with both hands ... now stay in front of the offensive player

Good defense starts with making sure you're in position with your feet first and then using your hands to take advantage of sloppy ball handling or bad shot selection ... all reaching does is pick up fouls and get you out of position.
    Reminds me of this other drill where you take a towel and hold it over someone's face and have them try to do a sit up. Then you have your buddy stand over the guy and position his bare ass right over the guy's face while he's trying to do the sit up.

I get the feeling this is the type of drill that Romar emphasized at his practices
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Reminds me of this other drill where you take a towel and hold it over someone's face and have them try to do a sit up. Then you have your buddy stand over the guy and position his bare ass right over the guy's face while he's trying to do the sit up.

I get the feeling this is the type of drill that Romar emphasized at his practices
    Only when they've been bad.
    Like this year, last year, the year before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, and that other year before the last one I mentioned.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,797
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

His philosophy wasn't dying. He was reliant on Cameron Dollar and Ken Bone for X's and O's. As soon as they left, we lost all discipline and competency.

Stop it with this doogism. Romar went to four out of six of his NCAAs without Bone, including 2 of the three Sweet 16s. And massive lol at the idea Dollar was an X's and O's guy. If he was worth a damn at X's and O's he wouldn't be a complete failure at Seattle U.

It was Roy and IT (plus Nate/Will/Bobby and Brockman/Pondexter/MBA) that elevated those first teams. Not two coaches who have sucked total ass since leaving.
    Then explain all the superstar players we've had since then and the corresponding horrible records and no NCAA tourney appearances.

I used to watch the Huskies back in the day, and those were fairly disciplined teams who played tenacious defense. The games I've seen in the last five years have been atrocities. Every year a very poorly coached team with no concept of defense. Your explanation doesn't hold water.
    None of the players we've had after BRoy and IT are in the BRoy and IT range ... if BRoy's knees weren't an issue he was a HOF caliber player ... he was THAT good. IT's done way more than I ever thought he was but he always had that defiant I hate losing way more than I like winning gene in him that you need to be a great player.

But even going back to those early teams, they weren't particularly well coached. The above 2 players really made the offense look a lot better than it was from a system standpoint ... which you can get away with when you have those caliber of players pulling the strings. The defensive system was never a strong one against GOOD teams because the over extended defense eventually gets exposed and compromised. It's one of the reasons why I'm bearish on West Virginia in the NCAAs this year because by the time they get to the 2nd weekend and start playing teams that can handle the pressure. But if you go back and watch the 3 that UConn made to put the game into OT ... our defense on the play was SOOOOOOO bad on so many levels ...

Perhaps the biggest issue that the program has had is basically in mindset. The players in the first half of the Romar era played in a way that was consistent with winning basketball. Nate's got plenty of dumbass in him (and I mean that in a good way) ... but he also grew up with a ton of fundamentals and I'll never forget talking to him one day where the discussion of why he shot the ball so high in the air came up and he responded by saying that his daddy told him that he was short so he would need to shoot the ball high in the air to get things done. The time to me where you could start to see the program going backwards in hindsight was when you had a guy like Elston Turner transfer ... Turner was a good but not great player ... but he was a kid that knew a bit about what he was doing and had a father that not only was a former NBA player but NBA assistant. I remember playing with him one day and setting a back pick for him that confused the hell out of him ... we talked about it and I explained what I was doing and it was like a light bulb went off for him because so much of Romar's offense basically just had him stand in a spot and then either catch and shoot or drive from there ... there's a place for that in an offensive system but it's not the basis or foundation for a good to great offense.

If you really want to sum everything up, everything about Romar and his program can best be described as lazy without accountability.
    Flagged because IT will be an HOF when it's all said and done. Also, flagged for your gay humble look at me fairy brag
  • Options
    The jury is still out on IT being a HOFer ... it's not an easy bar to cross
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Then explain all the superstar players we've had since then and the corresponding horrible records and no NCAA tourney appearances.

I used to watch the Huskies back in the day, and those were fairly disciplined teams who played tenacious defense. The games I've seen in the last five years have been atrocities. Every year a very poorly coached team with no concept of defense. Your explanation doesn't hold water.
    None of the players we've had after BRoy and IT are in the BRoy and IT range ... if BRoy's knees weren't an issue he was a HOF caliber player ... he was THAT good. IT's done way more than I ever thought he was but he always had that defiant I hate losing way more than I like winning gene in him that you need to be a great player.

But even going back to those early teams, they weren't particularly well coached. The above 2 players really made the offense look a lot better than it was from a system standpoint ... which you can get away with when you have those caliber of players pulling the strings. The defensive system was never a strong one against GOOD teams because the over extended defense eventually gets exposed and compromised. It's one of the reasons why I'm bearish on West Virginia in the NCAAs this year because by the time they get to the 2nd weekend and start playing teams that can handle the pressure. But if you go back and watch the 3 that UConn made to put the game into OT ... our defense on the play was SOOOOOOO bad on so many levels ...

Perhaps the biggest issue that the program has had is basically in mindset. The players in the first half of the Romar era played in a way that was consistent with winning basketball. Nate's got plenty of dumbass in him (and I mean that in a good way) ... but he also grew up with a ton of fundamentals and I'll never forget talking to him one day where the discussion of why he shot the ball so high in the air came up and he responded by saying that his daddy told him that he was short so he would need to shoot the ball high in the air to get things done. The time to me where you could start to see the program going backwards in hindsight was when you had a guy like Elston Turner transfer ... Turner was a good but not great player ... but he was a kid that knew a bit about what he was doing and had a father that not only was a former NBA player but NBA assistant. I remember playing with him one day and setting a back pick for him that confused the hell out of him ... we talked about it and I explained what I was doing and it was like a light bulb went off for him because so much of Romar's offense basically just had him stand in a spot and then either catch and shoot or drive from there ... there's a place for that in an offensive system but it's not the basis or foundation for a good to great offense.

If you really want to sum everything up, everything about Romar and his program can best be described as lazy without accountability.
    Flagged because IT will be an HOF when it's all said and done. Also, flagged for your gay humble look at me fairy brag
    Highly unlikely. He's 28 years old never started an All-Star game, and only ever been to two of them. He's just not going to have the resume unless he wins multiple rings as the lead guy, which doesn't look promising.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Highly unlikely. He's 28 years old never started an All-Star game, and only ever been to two of them. He's just not going to have the resume unless he wins multiple rings as the lead guy, which doesn't look promising.
    5"9 guy who likely average 30+ for the next 4-5 years? Hmm... lol the Basketball HOF is a lot less exclusive than the other HOFs
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

5"9 guy who likely average 30+ for the next 4-5 years? Hmm... lol the Basketball HOF is a lot less exclusive than the other HOFs
    Actually it's a lot more exclusive when it comes to actual professional players. The basketball HOF is full of college coaches. It's harder for an NBA player to reach the HOF than MLB or NFL.

And IT will not average 30+ for the next 5 years, holy shit get your doog under control man.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Actually it's a lot more exclusive when it comes to actual professional players. The basketball HOF is full of college coaches. It's harder for an NBA player to reach the HOF than MLB or NFL.

And IT will not average 30+ for the next 5 years, holy shit get your doog under control man.
    It's hard to supress a raging doog boner
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

He's not averaging 30+ for the next 4-5 years ... get the fuck out of here on that
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

He's not averaging 30+ for the next 4-5 years ... get the fuck out of here on that
    I have a doog boner fuck off.
    Let me doog in peace.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    Romar was never a good coach. The change was not Bone/Dollar to these shit assistants.

The change was
    Kent for Altman
    Braun for Monty
    Lute Olsen in stroke mode & Kevin oniel for Miller
    Bibby & aftermath for Dunk City
    Jay John for < Obama < Tinkle
    Add Boyle and Kristoyiak out of thin air...

The Pac10 was literal shit for The first half od Romar's tenure. The worst, it's ever been by far with shitty coaching situations almost everywhere.

Howland had a few good years, but was awful for UCLA in the long run. The bennet's were good for WSU, but they still were WSU, with WSU talent.

Every other program was in shambles with shit coaching, leading to the Pac-10 being a mid-major.

With NBA all-stat talent, and among the most NBA players of any school in the country Romar was able to scrape out a few decent runs against that pile of shit by just rolling the ball out.