Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Things you should keep in mind about recruiting

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Nobody loves our DAWGS more than I do. Or did. I would visit UCLA or USC while going to games down here as a DAWG fan back in the day.

I remember thinking - how does UW even beat these guys for anyone - hell I'd rather go here and I love the DAWGS.

It takes a lot to pry that kid out of So Cal. Winning first, second, and third. And then you have to get lucky.

USC will always get first choice. We will always think we are a better choice than UCLA and end up holding our dicks on signing day while UCLA gets second call.

But we do know that we can recruit enough to beat those bastards and win some league and national titles with a break here or there.

Gotta go, Clay Helton is at the door

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nobody loves our DAWGS more than I do. Or did. I would visit UCLA or USC while going to games down here as a DAWG fan back in the day.

I remember thinking - how does UW even beat these guys for anyone - hell I'd rather go here and I love the DAWGS.

It takes a lot to pry that kid out of So Cal. Winning first, second, and third. And then you have to get lucky.

USC will always get first choice. We will always think we are a better choice than UCLA and end up holding our dicks on signing day while UCLA gets second call.

But we do know that we can recruit enough to beat those bastards and win some league and national titles with a break here or there.

In 2015 after we beat SC down there, some random doogs were making comments,"Yeah and look at that. The UW coaches will be wearing purple and recruiting around LA while they're down here, fresh off the win."

Yeah, no one gave a fuck.

Some luck in LA is great, but UW got Husky Legend and true daWg Marcus Peters from NorCal. That's where we need to capitalize for our out-of-state talent.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

So we shouldn't demand that coaches be fired when a recruit picks USC over UW? I'm confused
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

The key is finding five-star LA kids who have to leave the area because the Crips have a hit out on them like De'Anthony Thomas. While hoping it outnumbers your own five-star kids who quickly need Canadian citizenship.

Couldn't have said it better.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The key is finding five-star LA kids who have to leave the area because the Crips have a hit out on them like De'Anthony Thomas. While hoping it outnumbers your own five-star kids who quickly need Canadian citizenship.

potd
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

That explains why he ended up at Oregon
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I can't chincredible @Dennis_DeYoung's post enough ...

More to the point I think it's important to look at the composition of the classes under Pete since 2014 to understand how we're recruiting. I think the key takeaway from Dennis is that our ability to recruit LA is pretty much an effort in futility ... we need to put the work in down there "just in case" we get lucky and are able to pull somebody out ... particularly when USC/UCLA recruit outside of LA.

In both the 2016 and 2017 classes, UW took 18 players. The expectation in the 2018 class is that we'll take around 18 as well. Pete stated during the Signing Day press conference that classes between 15-20 are the desired levels going forward. And given that we don't have significant attrition, it's realistic that more often than not we will be in this range going forward.

What follows is a look of our recruits by location during Pete's tenure:

2014 Class (23 total)

California: 16
    Washington: 5
    Idaho: 1
    Wyoming: 1

2015 Class (25 total)

California: 13
    Washington: 8
    Oregon: 1
    Texas: 1

2016 Class (18 total)

California: 8
    Texas: 2
    Arizona: 2

2017 Class (18 total)

California: 7
    Washington: 6
    Oregon: 2
    Utah: 2
    Australia: 1

So if you think about it going forward from the standpoint of "how do we get to 18 scholarships each year," you're looking at 5 to 8 recruits per year coming from the State of Washington. I think the 7-8 recruits that we have gotten out of California in the 2016 and 2017 classes is probably more representative going forward of what it is that we're looking for. As Dennis noted in going through what we've pulled out of California, the 2014 and 2015 classes we needed numbers and a lot of the guys that we got out of California we're guys that were lower tier guys that we were recruiting against the bottom half of the conference ... THESE ARE GUYS WE DON'T WANT GOING FORWARD. So thinking of the half dozen or so guys we need to get from California going forward, you're probably looking at 2/3 of the guys we're getting coming out of the Bay Area and the other half coming out of SoCal and largely Orange County (which when you think about it, Orange County on the whole probably fits best the type of kid/family where our messaging is going to resonate the best with).

Outside of California and Washington, we haven't taken any more than 2 recruits in a year from any other location. As long as Oregon is a dumpster fire, we should have an expectation of being able to pull a recruit from there. If there are any strong recruits in Idaho or Montana we should be in a good position to get them. It's important for us to have at least some kind of presence in Arizona and Texas to at least make sure that we are gauging interest and capitalizing if we can find someone that is receptive to our message. The area where we have been really poor on recently is in Hawaii ... we need to figure out how to make inroads there. There's emerging numbers of talent in Utah and that's becoming a very competitive location for recruits. And of course, there's always random locations where we'll get interest from someone that plays itself out.

But the reality is that as long as we're really going after 18 on a consistent basis, the balance of our recruiting is centered on keeping the elite in-state kids home (should happen relatively easily with our success continuing) and maintaining our foot print in the areas of California where we've been successful. We need to focus on making sure we get a strong recruiting option to replace Hamden and eventually Lake. Whenever the 10th assistant coach gets approved by the NCAA we need to make sure that we're hiring a heavy recruiter in that position to help us in continuing to build networks and relationships to be able to get that random elite player from here or there that wants to go to UW. Our biggest risk is forgetting what makes us successful from a recruiting standpoint. What we have right now is largely sustainable IMO.

This is a very good post Tequila and I agree with
    most of it. My small disagreement is with the ideal
    class number. 17-19 every year indicates stability
    but not necessarily quality. I would rather see 22-23
    with 4 or 5 going early NFL entry or 4 star players
    transferring due to lack of playing time. That's when
    you know you've arrived at USC, Alabama talent level.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whuggy said:

Tequilla said:

I can't chincredible @Dennis_DeYoung's post enough ...

More to the point I think it's important to look at the composition of the classes under Pete since 2014 to understand how we're recruiting. I think the key takeaway from Dennis is that our ability to recruit LA is pretty much an effort in futility ... we need to put the work in down there "just in case" we get lucky and are able to pull somebody out ... particularly when USC/UCLA recruit outside of LA.

In both the 2016 and 2017 classes, UW took 18 players. The expectation in the 2018 class is that we'll take around 18 as well. Pete stated during the Signing Day press conference that classes between 15-20 are the desired levels going forward. And given that we don't have significant attrition, it's realistic that more often than not we will be in this range going forward.

What follows is a look of our recruits by location during Pete's tenure:

2014 Class (23 total)

California: 16

2015 Class (25 total)

California: 13
    Washington: 8
    Texas: 1

2016 Class (18 total)

California: 8
    Texas: 2
    Arizona: 2

2017 Class (18 total)

California: 7
    Washington: 6
    Oregon: 2
    Utah: 2
    Australia: 1

So if you think about it going forward from the standpoint of "how do we get to 18 scholarships each year," you're looking at 5 to 8 recruits per year coming from the State of Washington. I think the 7-8 recruits that we have gotten out of California in the 2016 and 2017 classes is probably more representative going forward of what it is that we're looking for. As Dennis noted in going through what we've pulled out of California, the 2014 and 2015 classes we needed numbers and a lot of the guys that we got out of California we're guys that were lower tier guys that we were recruiting against the bottom half of the conference ... THESE ARE GUYS WE DON'T WANT GOING FORWARD. So thinking of the half dozen or so guys we need to get from California going forward, you're probably looking at 2/3 of the guys we're getting coming out of the Bay Area and the other half coming out of SoCal and largely Orange County (which when you think about it, Orange County on the whole probably fits best the type of kid/family where our messaging is going to resonate the best with).

Outside of California and Washington, we haven't taken any more than 2 recruits in a year from any other location. As long as Oregon is a dumpster fire, we should have an expectation of being able to pull a recruit from there. If there are any strong recruits in Idaho or Montana we should be in a good position to get them. It's important for us to have at least some kind of presence in Arizona and Texas to at least make sure that we are gauging interest and capitalizing if we can find someone that is receptive to our message. The area where we have been really poor on recently is in Hawaii ... we need to figure out how to make inroads there. There's emerging numbers of talent in Utah and that's becoming a very competitive location for recruits. And of course, there's always random locations where we'll get interest from someone that plays itself out.

But the reality is that as long as we're really going after 18 on a consistent basis, the balance of our recruiting is centered on keeping the elite in-state kids home (should happen relatively easily with our success continuing) and maintaining our foot print in the areas of California where we've been successful. We need to focus on making sure we get a strong recruiting option to replace Hamden and eventually Lake. Whenever the 10th assistant coach gets approved by the NCAA we need to make sure that we're hiring a heavy recruiter in that position to help us in continuing to build networks and relationships to be able to get that random elite player from here or there that wants to go to UW. Our biggest risk is forgetting what makes us successful from a recruiting standpoint. What we have right now is largely sustainable IMO.

This is a very good post Tequila and I agree with
    most of it. My small disagreement is with the ideal
    class number. 17-19 every year indicates stability
    but not necessarily quality. I would rather see 22-23
    with 4 or 5 going early NFL entry or 4 star players
    transferring due to lack of playing time. That's when
    you know you've arrived at USC, Alabama talent level.
    I think that's ultimately where you will see it, somewhere in that 18-22 range. It's a tricky calculation but, ultimately, I think we all know that there is a relatively profound difference between 18-22 and 24-27 every year.
  • Options
    Bama usually is in the 25 a year range. Tell you what though.
    USC is typically around 20. I would be thrilled with
    classes of 20 anywhere near SC quality.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

Bama has huge attrition because of playing time and players being told to leave.
    I doubt we can recruit on SC level on consistent basis, we might have year once in a while that is on that level.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    whuggy said:

Just fuck USC. Fuck them. That is all.
  • Options

whuggy said:

Just fuck USC. Fuck them. That is all.
    You better be able to fuck them in
    the conference championship game
    cuz that's where they're gonna be.
  • Options

whuggy said:

Bama has huge attrition because of playing time and players being told to leave.
    I doubt we can recruit on SC level on consistent basis, we might have year once in a while that is on that level.
    That's why I used the words "anywhere near".
    Coaching will have to make up that gap.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So if I am looking through the O-line prospects on Scout or similar site, and see a guy like Steven Jones, a black OT in Temecula, it is safe to assume we have no chance, correct?