Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

HuskyFanPodcast: Oregon review & ASU Preview

Comments

• Have to disagree with ya Chest. The Oregon game was not close at all. We didn't get "unlucky".

That 4th down call was the correct call, that was a touchdown. Sankey has been known to fumble in the past and those things do happen as well.

They could have put up two more TD's as well which didn't happen. I'd say UW was fortunate it was 45-24 final score.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Unlucky was too strong of a word if I said that. I just meant that generally things went Oregon's way early in the game. The touchback, the fumble, the initial call on 4th down. Huff getting injured, then miraculously coming back to make some huge plays. The outcome was never in doubt but it was a 7 point game to start the 4th quarter.
  • Yea but that game totally felt like the 2007 game where UW was 31-31 but you never felt good about it due to UW's offense was on weird plays while Oregon was doing whatever they wanted.

As for ASU if they are a big blitz team that means UW should get some BIG plays on them. Look for Sankey to bust a long run, be nice if you can hit Kevin Smith/2 wins on a bomb.

Pound Sankey early on them and hopefully that opens up play action to ASJ. Also like to see them get Kasen going as well.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    edited October 2013
    One thing we left out of the podcast is Nansen needs to be fired. He is likely spending his evenings googling how to play special teams.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Sorry, but I don't possess a rocker to fall off of........ not yet.

Why is it that you young whippersnapper football experts correctly understand that Sark's huge weakness in recruiting is the lack of line talent and depth on both sides of the ball, and yet continue to question Sark's play calling with regard to run versus pass. Whether Sark gets it or not with regard to what it means to compete against the better programs such as Oregon without holding our own on the line-of-scrimmage doesn't matter at this point. He hasn't done the job in recruiting and developing talent and depth where it counts most and no amount of intelligent play calling or superior QB performance is going to cover for that deficiency when it's the ducks lining up to kick Husky butt.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tailgater said:

Sorry, but I don't possess a rocker to fall off of........ not yet.

Why is it that you young whippersnapper football experts correctly understand that Sark's huge weakness in recruiting is the lack of line talent and depth on both sides of the ball, and yet continue to question Sark's play calling with regard to run versus pass. Whether Sark gets it or not with regard to what it means to compete against the better programs such as Oregon without holding our own on the line-of-scrimmage doesn't matter at this point. He hasn't done the job in recruiting and developing talent and depth where it counts most and no amount of intelligent play calling or superior QB performance is going to cover for that deficiency when it's the ducks lining up to kick Husky butt.

I made the point in another thread that if Sark's only problem was the occasional play calling gaffe, we would be sitting pretty. I do think some of us (myself included) make a bigger deal out of the play calling at times when the issue is having soft lines and playing inconsistent, undisciplined football.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    The silence about Wilcox's shitty performance as DC against Oregon spoke volumes.

The defensive coaching was worse than the offensive coaching and it wasn't even close.

The silence about Wilcox's shitty performance as DC against Oregon spoke volumes.

The defensive coaching was worse than the offensive coaching and it wasn't even close.

Perhaps you didn't listen because RoadDawg did mention that.

Really? I just listened to the first 20 minutes again and didn't hear it. I heard that UW got its ass kicked on the lines a lot (which is true), but the crickets about Wilcox were deafening.

Really? I just listened to the first 20 minutes again and didn't hear it. I heard that UW got its ass kicked on the lines a lot (which is true), but the crickets about Wilcox were deafening.
    I did mention it, and the game plan sucked. With hindsight, it's obvious Wilcox was trying to keep everything in front and make Oregon work for their yards. What ended up happening is our guys played timid and were not as aggressive as they normally are.

It was a bad game plan and the defense played like shit. Everyone so far has played like shit against Oregon. Not to make excuses, but it's going to take more than the Oregon game to make me jump off the Wilcox train.

The offense and defense were both bad. The offense only scored 7 in the first half and missed opportunities, and in the 2nd half once the offense loosened up a little, the defense could not get a stop.

edited October 2013

I did mention it, and the game plan sucked. With hindsight, it's obvious Wilcox was trying to keep everything in front and make Oregon work for their yards. What ended up happening is our guys played timid and were not as aggressive as they normally are.

It was a bad game plan and the defense played like shit. Everyone so far has played like shit against Oregon. Not to make excuses, but it's going to take more than the Oregon game to make me jump off the Wilcox train.

The offense and defense were both bad. The offense only scored 7 in the first half and missed opportunities, and in the 2nd half once the offense loosened up a little, the defense could not get a stop.

Was that at the front end of the podcast or toward the end...or did Race's Yugoslavian cell phone eat it?
    I guess I didn't touch on the coaching. It might have gotten cut out because of our technical difficulties. Regardless, I think it was evident that the defensive game plan was not up to par.
    I did enjoy the awkward sexual tension between Chest and Sark at the end though.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    It may have Been mentioned in pre podcast prepping...its intense leading up to recording. Have to pick music finish up plate night ribs and stiff drinks
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    Appropriate music selection this go around

I actually think Sark pulls this one off, we squeak out a win in the desert. But by the time haus $ rolls around, he gets lazy and drops UCLA/OSU

Appropriate music selection this go around

I actually think Sark pulls this one off, we squeak out a win in the desert. But by the time haus $ rolls around, he gets lazy and drops UCLA/OSU

Losing to UCLA and OSU on the road won't be lazy.

That's standard operating procedure for Sark.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    Ok, well he reverts to the mean and drops UCLA/OSU
    I posted this on Devils Digest and they canned it. Fuck those guys.