Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

7 Huskies to combine

Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,120
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Baker
Jones
King
Qualls
Daniels
Mathis
Ross

To think we were light on upper classmen...

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,820
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

But 5 were recruited by Sark ... or so I heard

What's insane is that Pete already had two true juniors leave from the #35 rated transition class.
  • Options
    skinnedskinned Member Posts: 103
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Softy is a buttmunch.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Shame on you Grundle
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

What's insane is that Pete already had two true juniors leave from the #35 rated transition class.
    I don't know what year it started, but everyone is a 3 star now so they star ratings compared to years ago might not be as relevant. There were actually 2 star players back in 2010.

Don't twist that to me saying this class ain't better than in years past. It is, but the ratings are higher all around.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I don't know what year it started, but everyone is a 3 star now so they star ratings compared to years ago might not be as relevant. There were actually 2 star players back in 2010.

Don't twist that to me saying this class ain't better than in years past. It is, but the ratings are higher all around.
    I won't slap you upside the head for saying this class isn't better than in years past, but I'll slap you for not thinking critically and making an excuse for a comment to play both sides without having to take a stand.

What I don't dispute from what you said is that there's clearly a better evaluation process for players today than 10 years ago whether it be from the camps, more "scouts" in the field, Hudl film, etc. 10 years ago a guy like Mason Foster was an unknown because he was outside of a traditional area and because of that he was viewed as a 2 star not because that was his ceiling but because a 2 star basically was indicative that nobody evaluated him.

Where I find your comment lacking is that it would have taken you no more than 5-10 minutes of research to go through historical rankings from Scout by an average star rating to figure out how much inflation there is in today's star rankings versus in years prior. I took the top 25 classes by star average to find what the average star ranking was for those classes (using average star to make sure that I'm picking up quality versus quantity):

2009: 3.43
    2013: 3.53
    2017: 3.61

So, from 2009 to 2017, there's about a 5% "inflation" if you will in the average star rating for the average player in a Top 25 quality class. From 2013 to 2017, it's a little more than a 2% gap in inflation.

The conclusion to me is that going back in Sark's tenure, you could make an argument that the "inflation" was systematic because not all recruits were getting evaluated. By 2013 though, 2% inflation to me can't be viewed as systematic and instead can be tied to the growing gap in college football between the have's and the have not's.

• Options
    This is how I see the recruiting classes over this time period for Sark and Pete:

2009: Sark's class sucked because he stayed to coach in the Rose Bowl and didn't put much effort into putting too much of a class together until early January ... the class flamed out as a result not only in quality at the time but in quantity down the road as attrition was massive.

2010-2011: Sark built off the 2009 +5 in win total to show that the program was on the upswing and then a fairly strong finish in 2010 ending in the Holiday Bowl win over Nebraska to show that the program was moving in the right direction. The classes picked up as a result.

2012: After a strong start, the season basically fell apart and then exposed with a defensive no show in the Alamo Bowl ending with the balance of the Defensive Staff being fired. Class saved at the end by pulling in Shaq Thompson after hiring Tosh away from Cal.

2013: This is the class that Softy was calling a monster ... and clearly the impact of Tosh was felt throughout the process. Looking at the names on the list that were major factors in the 2016 season are obvious: Victor, Bierria, King, Coleman, Shelton, Mathis, Ross, Qualls, and Daniels. But the misses are also staggering as the players that either never made it in, flamed out, or transferred include: Troy Williams, Patrick Enewally, Jermaine Kelly, Marcus Farria, Stringfellow, Dane Crane, and Jamie Bryant.

2014: Pete's transition class was 16% better than Sark's transition class ... and when you go back and look at the talent in the class, it's clear that the talent in Pete's class was undervalued (Budda, McGary, Jaylen Johnson, Gaines, Sidney Jones - 84th ranked CB, Pettis - 87th ranked WR)

2015: A small uptick in Pete's 1st full class but you can definitely see a bit of a delay in getting things going as the on-field results and recruiting connections (challenges w/ existing coaches) were magnified

2016: Another small uptick mixed with a couple of big wins late in the process (Murphy and Levi) ...

2017: Monster class punctuated with change in WR coaching --> massive haul there ... still a few areas to take a look at for improvement but very clear that our recruiting philosophy has shifted with guys we targeted in the 2017 class and how the 2018 class is starting ... this is an ELITE level for UW recruiting historically
  • Options
    DeepSeaZ said:

I just stabbed myself in vital areas. It's part of a new game I invented. Can I finish reading Teq's posts before bleeding out? It's fun.

If I don't hear from you in the next 15 minutes I'll give you my T's and P's
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I won't slap you upside the head for saying this class isn't better than in years past, but I'll slap you for not thinking critically and making an excuse for a comment to play both sides without having to take a stand.

What I don't dispute from what you said is that there's clearly a better evaluation process for players today than 10 years ago whether it be from the camps, more "scouts" in the field, Hudl film, etc. 10 years ago a guy like Mason Foster was an unknown because he was outside of a traditional area and because of that he was viewed as a 2 star not because that was his ceiling but because a 2 star basically was indicative that nobody evaluated him.

Where I find your comment lacking is that it would have taken you no more than 5-10 minutes of research to go through historical rankings from Scout by an average star rating to figure out how much inflation there is in today's star rankings versus in years prior. I took the top 25 classes by star average to find what the average star ranking was for those classes (using average star to make sure that I'm picking up quality versus quantity):

2009: 3.43
    2013: 3.53
    2017: 3.61

So, from 2009 to 2017, there's about a 5% "inflation" if you will in the average star rating for the average player in a Top 25 quality class. From 2013 to 2017, it's a little more than a 2% gap in inflation.

The conclusion to me is that going back in Sark's tenure, you could make an argument that the "inflation" was systematic because not all recruits were getting evaluated. By 2013 though, 2% inflation to me can't be viewed as systematic and instead can be tied to the growing gap in college football between the have's and the have not's.

I said this class is better. I didn't want to take 5-10 minutes to go research on scout. Star rankings compared to other schools is very important and I never said otherwise. Fuck off.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This thread gave me FBA. Thanks Teq.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Looking forward to having "Washington" being dropped all over the damned place.

Anyone have a link to a listing by school how many players being invited to this year's combine?

I'm assuming Alabama has 253 ....
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    animate said:

Anyone have a link to a listing by school how many players being invited to this year's combine?

Just ten
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    animate said:

1. Michigan: 14 participants

2. Alabama, LSU: 10 each

3. Clemson, Miami, Texas A&M: 9 each

4. Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, USC, Utah: 8 each

5. Louisville, North Carolina, Washington: 7 each

6. Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin: 6 each

Link
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

animate said:

1. Michigan: 14 participants

2. Alabama, LSU: 10 each

4. Clemson, Miami, Texas A&M: 9 each

7. Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, USC, Utah: 8 each

12. Louisville, North Carolina, Washington: 7 each

15. Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin: 6 each

Link
    fixed