Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Possible new redshirt rule for 2017 season

The AFCA is lobbying to let athletes play in as many as four games at any point in the season and still be able to consider it a redshirt year. Should be decided in April. Curious if this means Petersen would play recruits who would otherwise redshirt the entire season during the OOC portion of the schedule, while saving the better redshirts for later in the season. Or do you play em early and if they do well you burn the redshirt all together? This rule would also seem to eliminate a medical redshirt.

Comments

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I would definitely be in favor of this. I'm guessing there would still be special exceptions to get players a 6th year sometimes.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017
    It would be pretty interesting. Let's say Gaskin or Coleman goes down late in the season.

If Ahmed was redshirting, he could play in the Apple Cup and Bowl game/playoffs and save eligibility?

They should really just do what Peterman wants and give guys 5 years to play 5. Most the redshirting freshman can't crack the depth anyways.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,505
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The AFCA is lobbying to let athletes play in as many as four games at any point in the season and still be able to consider it a redshirt year. Should be decided in April. Curious if this means Petersen would play recruits who would otherwise redshirt the entire season during the OOC portion of the schedule, while saving the better redshirts for later in the season. Or do you play em early and if they do well you burn the redshirt all together? This rule would also seem to eliminate a medical redshirt.

I'm in favor for it. Pretty much every freshman would be able to able to play at the end of the season, probably during the last 4 home games of the year (due to travel restrictions).

The only person I could see not in favor of this - and that'd be if this does eliminate the medical redshirt - would be Coop.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    This is terrific for smart conferences that play their scrimmages in November instead of September.