Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Has god damned this dam?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/gallery/oroville-dam-spillways-emergency/index.html
Growing up in So Cal I've always been fascinated with the history of how California managed to move so much water from where it is to where it ain't. Hadn't been reading the news over the weekend (hung down and brung down from drinking all the bourbon) and just saw this. Pete's homeland is kinda fucked right now.

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    What's crazy too me is how quickly California can go from drought and empty reservoirs to a dam failing from too much water.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,940 Founders Club

2001400ex said:

What's crazy too me is how quickly California can go from drought and empty reservoirs to a dam failing from too much water.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING
    Yeah, because in addition to your salty and shitty tasting Colorado river water you also get some from Oroville too.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    This is why the state of Liberty is going to kick ass.

Water is the new gold.

Fuck you, Portland. Have fun being a dryland port. Gonna sell all that sweet Columbia water to Cali. Until the Canadians say 'fuck off' to Liberty and divert.

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I used to fish Oroville all the time. It's slightly worse than Shasta and infinitely worse than Bullard's Bar for spots.

That whole Chico/Yuba City area can be washed away for all I care.

It was hilarious how the experts told us it would take ten years minimum to fill Shasta again, then later that year it was full in three months. We were fishing a tourney on it that February and you could watch it rise in real time against the trees in the Pitt arm.
    California seems to struggle with finding a sweet spot. It's either abundance of drought or floods. Pick your poison.
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    Part of me wants to see it burst just for the sheer spectacle of it but I also know how much irrigation that reservoir provides and how much AG California exports. I dont want to deal with a sparse produce section at the grocery store.
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527

2001400ex said:

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING
    Dont worry. They are dropping large boulders on the dam to plug the leaks.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Water is the new gold.

Fuck you, Portland. Have fun being a dryland port. Gonna sell all that sweet Columbia water to Cali. Until the Canadians say 'fuck off' to Liberty and divert.

So you're going to screw Portland by detouring the water through a state that is run by Portland?

Even Jonathan Smith and Steve Sarkisian are laughing at this plan.

Water is the new gold.

So you're going to screw Portland by detouring the water through a state that is run by Portland?

Idaho via Nevada. Done.

Fuck Portland.

So you'll divert the Snake River instead.

Got it.

Lake Mead needs a new water source anyway, so I approve this plan.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Maybe they should divert the money from the choo choo train to drinking and irrigation water?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,455 Founders Club

Water is the new gold.

Idaho via Nevada. Done.

Fuck Portland.

The I - 15 pathway
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    I-15 Pathway means State of Oregon won't have any "excess" water to sell and all their financial projections are shit.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Water is the new gold.

Cool rant dipshit, but this has already been done in Nevada last year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36478614
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    dnc said:

Water is the new gold.

Cool rant dipshit, but this has already been done in Nevada last year.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36478614
    The autonomous drone - dubbed 184 - can carry one passenger and was developed by Chinese company EHang.

I'm hearing its design was developed in part by the relatives of Wey Tu Low and Ho Lee Fuk.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Water is the new gold.

Idaho via Nevada. Done.

Fuck Portland.

Got it.

Taggert going to cutoff those headwaters

Water is the new gold.

Idaho via Nevada. Done.

Fuck Portland.

Got it.

Taggert going to cutoff those headwaters
    It's awfully hard to divert the McKenzie River away from Eugene.

*gurgle*
    All water projects are gay in comparison this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

North American Water and Power Alliance would have brought water from the Yukon down through BC and into the northern US.