Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Auburndawg's film room: Pass defense

I finally got a chance last night to sit down with my DVR remote control and watch the game again. I particularly focused on the eight big pass plays that led to Oregon scores. Yes, there were big runs too, but on every scoring drive other than the first one, Oregon completed one or more big passes that kept the drive alive, or put them in the red zone .
Watching those 8 pass plays in slow motion three things were clear:

1. Mariotta made a perfect throw every time. He is a much, much better passer than I thought he was.

2. We blitzed once in those eight plays. Four times we rushed 4. Three times we rushed 3. Wilcox was clearly playing conservative and it didn’t work. Mariotta was completely comfortable and had plenty of time. Rushing 3 or 4 guys against 5 blockers is not going to generate pressure very often. Oregon, on the other hand, rarely rushed less than 5 guys. They blitzed. We didn’t. Big difference in coaching.

3. On every one of their big pass plays our guys made mistakes in coverage. Oregon, more than any team I have seen, likes to bunch up their receivers. Two or three receivers would leave the line together, and then break in different directions, and our DBs would hesitate, not sure who to take, the receiver would gain a step or two, and Mariotta would make a perfect throw. In addition, like us, there is run fake on every pass play. On the 65 yard TD pass you could see Shamburger first pause on the play fake, then hesitate when the two receivers came into his area. The WR went right by him.

Coaching , coaching, coaching

Our coaches chose not bring pressure. Our kids should have been better prepared to deal with their pass routes.
Yes, Oregon is great. They seemed to block and tackle a little better than we did. Mariotta is more accurate than Price. They are super fast. But we were also out schemed and out prepared.

Comments

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    yes, our team chose not to bring pressure however, almost all top level teams can get more pressure than we did from our front 4, DLINE is still lacking
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333
    You had to replay "film" to come to the conclusion that UW was out schemed and out coached?
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    This was very insightful. I didn't realize our secondary would have trouble covering receivers for 7 seconds ...

Can't wait for the breakdown next week.
  • AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362

This was very insightful. I didn't realize our secondary would have trouble covering receivers for 7 seconds ...

Their pass plays were thrown on time, as designed. Why are people so reluctant to blame the DBs? They screwed up repeatedly.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    I'm just glad that in Obama's America people can proudly admit that they watch snuff films.
  • JECARJECAR Member Posts: 585
    Can you go back and do some further analysis on the ratio of on time passes to off time passes?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Seems to fly in the face of the Wilcox for President crowd.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,379 Founders Club
    I actually agree with Aubie for once. We were outschemed, and they were more prepared for us, than we were for them. Which is actually a huge indictment of our coaching, as Oregon has been running the same thing for 5 years, and we have for 5 games. Who had more film to study?

Our back 4 are perfectly capable DB's, but they WERE confused numerous times, and that is preparedness, or COACHING. Yeah, I know, water is wet.

Also, what 500 said, makes it easier to confuse/seperate from DB's when you get 10 seconds to get open. How many years has it been since we had a capable pass rush? Bakers dozen? Fuck.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,664 Founders Club
    what would have happened if we rushed/blitzed more peeps and let the corners fend for themselves more?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Good post Auburn. I think the plan was to keep everything in front of us and limit big plays, but we couldn't get to Mariota with 3 and 4 man rushes, which ended up giving Mariota all day to find an open guy downfield. When he didn't have a guy he tucked it and picked up demoralizing first downs. It was not a good game plan.
  • AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    You can get coverage sacks if you can cover. We couldn't and didn't.
  • JECARJECAR Member Posts: 585
    edited October 2013
    If I remember correctly, Marriott is supposed to be a slow starter. Wilcox probably thought they might be able to get a cheap take away early and build off of it. Unfortunately, our DL played like a bunch of pussies and couldn't get any pressure. However, as fast as Marriott is I'm not sure he wouldn't have been able to just out run anybody who got remotely close anyways.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333
    edited October 2013

"Coverage Sack" Is a nice way of saying the offensive receivers suck, and the defensive line equally sucks.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

"Coverage Sack" Is a nice way of saying the offensive receivers suck, and the defensive line equally sucks.
    Also, it implies that the quarterback can't run.
    edited October 2013

If you give QB's and good WR's like Oregon has 5+ seconds to throw with no pressure, someone is coming open. You show how little you know about football with stupid comments like that. You just lost your goodwill after that idiotic comment.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

Their pass plays were thrown on time, as designed. Why are people so reluctant to blame the DBs? They screwed up repeatedly.
    One post earlier you said

Our coaches chose not bring pressure. Our kids should have been better prepared to deal with their pass routes.
    Yes, Oregon is great. They seemed to block and tackle a little better than we did. Mariotta is more accurate than Price. They are super fast. But we were also out schemed and out prepared.
    Now it's "blame the DBs"

Nice flip flopping, as always.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Also, lol at "block a little better than we did".

Oregon's blocking was massively better than ours.
    dnc said:

One post earlier you said

Now it's "blame the DBs"

Nice flip flopping, as always.

It's so FS that Auburn keeps trying to pinpoint why we lost. He's been harping about how our coverage and now coaching sucked. Our OL sucked, our DL sucked, WR's and ASJ sucked, Price sucked, DB's sucked, coaching sucked. We needed a lot more than better DB play, Aubs.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Coaching, coaching, coaching?...

How about speed, speed, speed?