Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

trump buying into the big pharma bs?

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
edited February 2017 in Tug Tavern
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/1/31/1628064/--Negotiator-Trump-caves-to-big-pharma

Yikes. Negotiating down drug prices was one of the few good things that he said he'd support.

Of course he talks about tax breaks. Cause that's otally What They need. More profit

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Obama and the Demorats sure did
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    doogie said:

Obama and the Demorats sure did

selling out to pharma is one of the few things in Washington with bipartisan support
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    Selling out period. This particular story probably needs a little more time to get some actual facts in there though
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,974
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to see how much the drug companies are profiting per pill. If a company makes a billion dollars profit, but sells 20 billion pills, I can't see how they can afford to significantly lower prices. In that case, tax cuts and deregulation make sense if it gives them the breathing room necessary to make those cuts.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

I'd like to see how much the drug companies are profiting per pill. If a company makes a billion dollars profit, but sells 20 billion pills, I can't see how they can afford to significantly lower prices. In that case, tax cuts and deregulation make sense if it gives them the breathing room necessary to make those cuts.

The issue with drugs. They invest in hundreds of drugs but only a few hit. So they have to pay for the losers from the winners, which makes it difficult to assess profitablity like that.

That being said, charging $35 in the ER for one aspirin is dumb. But if you buy OXY, it costs $8 after insurance for a bottle but the pills go for $50 a pill in the black market.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,037
    Big pharma is destroying America.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    priapism said:

Big pharma is destroying America.

@priapism would know.
  • tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161

This particular story probably needs a little more time to get some actual facts in there though

Why ? Not for our purposes

We just wany to engage in juvenile name calling about that fake orange haired narcissistic sociopath...
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,024
    2001400ex said:

The issue with drugs. They invest in hundreds of drugs but only a few hit. So they have to pay for the losers from the winners, which makes it difficult to assess profitablity like that.

That being said, charging $35 in the ER for one aspirin is dumb. But if you buy OXY, it costs $8 after insurance for a bottle but the pills go for $50 a pill in the black market.
    I recall seeing some numbers several months back that indicate pharma companies spend significantly more on advertising than they do on R&D; the "we need to rape you on the drugs that work to pay for the drugs that don't" argument doesn't hold water.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited February 2017
    BearsWiin said:

2001400ex said:

I recall seeing some numbers several months back that indicate pharma companies spend significantly more on advertising than they do on R&D; the "we need to rape you on the drugs that work to pay for the drugs that don't" argument doesn't hold water.
    yes. they spend gobs on overhead and use it to justify their price gouging. We should either be allowed to negotiate with medicare or import from countries that do. We're allowed neither. Why? Cause the gov't is completely bought out
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    2001400ex said:

The bigger issue is that our country gets charged more for the same drugs as other countries.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

People need to stop using legal drugs. Way over prescribed

Unfortunately my dentist is trying to stop the oxy addiction plague and tells me to use advil. Fucker

Agreed.

I support this and all others efforts to kill off the Boomers.

2001400ex said:

The bigger issue is that our country gets charged more for the same drugs as other countries.
    There's truth in that. As I noted indirectly in my OXY and aspirin example. When an insurance company is involved, they charge way more.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

There's truth in that. As I noted indirectly in my OXY and aspirin example. When an insurance company is involved, they charge way more.
    So let's make everyone have to buy insurance

Great fucking plan

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

So let's make everyone have to buy insurance

Great fucking plan
    They charge so much because people without insurance don't pay causing everyone with insurance to pay too much. Are you really that dumb? Have you ever wondered why the cash price is half the insurance price?

2001400ex said:

And Bannon/Trump have decided to continue this arrangement.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,940 Founders Club
    The patent system for drugs is fucked. More generics please.

And legalize cocaine, shrooms and weed while we're at it.
  • AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    BearsWiin said:

2001400ex said:

Years ago, I worked in sales and sales management for two different pharmaceutical companies. The pay and benefits were fantastic and the amount of actual work I did was negligible. The sales forces for big pharma are gigantic and add nothing to the quality or availability of health care. But I did make a shitload of money.
    PurpleJ said:

The patent system for drugs is fucked. More generics please.

And legalize cocaine, shrooms and weed while we're at it.

Your President supports this system.

Get in line with TRUMP or LEAVE.