Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sarkisian is Charlie Weis without the BCS bowl blowout losses

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
edited October 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
For a boring Monday night.

Let's see:

-- Both coaches had zero head coaching experience prior to taking the job
-- Both coaches came from being the OC at a powerful football dynasty (Parcels' Patriots/Carroll's Trojans), where the defense arguably was just as big of a reason as the offense for their success. Also both coaches enjoyed having more talent than literally 100% of the opponents they faced. ALSO the Patriots and Trojans cheated.
-- Both coaches inherited a tier 1 once-proud program in shambles from one Tyrone Lionel Willingham. UW was reeling off a nightmarish 0-12 season. ND OL recruiting was at death sentence levels and they had been blown out more times in three years than the past forty years combined.
-- Both coaches talked a big game upon being hired. Sark said "this won't take long", Weis said 6-5 is never good enough.
-- Both coaches were considered prodigies of offense. Weis and his 'decided schematic advantage', Sark and his 'best play caller in America.'
-- Both coaches luckily inherited a local stud upperclassmen talent at QB (Brady Quinn/Jake Locker), whose NFL stock rose considerably under the new coach's tutorship. While fan favorites, Locker and Quinn ultimately underwhelmed in college and their NFL careers are proving the doubters true.
-- Both coaches suffered from piss poor special teams play.
-- Both coaches went 0-5 against their arch rivals.
-- Both coaches are ultimately ~.500 W%-level coaches
-- Both coaches got way too much credit for a season 1 game they f*****g LOST! Sark's loss to LSU in 2009/Weis' "bush push" game in 2005
-- Both coaches were unwilling or unable to emphasize the OL, to the point where rival schools would negatively recruit against them; saying none of their OL ever make it to the league, and that the position coach is a screamer, not a teacher.
-- Both coaches grab-bagged with their defense, replacing coaches and schemes in a 'throw it on the wall and see what sticks' sort of way.
-- Both coaches ignited a massive schism in their respective fanbases, with the more pollyanna groups clinging to the 'it's still all Willingham's fault in year 5' with the more realistic groups in the 'we are what we are' camp.

Sark: 13 blowout (17 or more point) losses*
Weis: 7 blowout (17 or more point ) losses

* Sark's 5th year isn't even over yet, more plungers could be on the way

My girlfriend is a ND graduate so I know way more than I should about that program. I just found the parallel very interesting and disturbingly similar.

tl;dr

[/bored rant over]

Comments

• -- Both are fat fucks
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Knock it off with the inside jokes. Can we have some real football talk please?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    He's better than Weis. Weis went 3-9 and imploded his last year with a roster stocked with NFL players. He's also continue to bury Kansas deeper in the ground after Turner Gill. The blowouts are a glaring mark on Sark, but I have to think he would do better at both ND and Kansas than Weis has. Sark is an average coach, Weis is one of the worst coaches in college football.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Gladstone said:

He's better than Weis. Weis went 3-9 and imploded his last year with a roster stocked with NFL players. He's also continue to bury Kansas deeper in the ground after Turner Gill. The blowouts are a glaring mark on Sark, but I have to think he would do better at both ND and Kansas than Weis has. Sark is an average coach, Weis is one of the worst coaches in college football.

Pick your poison. Sark never had a 3-9 disaster, but he also never had a 10 win season with BCS bowl appearances. If we lost a bush push type game to Oregon the doogs would be drooling all over themselves for an extension.
    I don't disagree with you, but ND was not even good when they made the BCS bowl games. They got blown out both times. I could see Sark taking ND to a BCS Bowl, it's a lot easier there, but Weis is very, very bad. He would suck at UW worse than Sark.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    The 2005 ND team was decent, but your overall point is definitely spot-on. What Weis is doing at Kansas only confirms this. I just found the two situations very similar. Two buffoons who were completely over their heads, but both hilariously have huge egos.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,664 Founders Club
    edited October 2013
    I disagree slightly on Weiss having great talent in with NE. They've always seem to do really well with average skill guys. I think Corey Dillon was with them back then but I'm not sure and I'm sure as hell not going to look it up. :p He Was a very good back but I wouldn't call him elite.

Also some of their defenses were ranked in the 20's ( I know he's an o. coordinator but just throwing it out).

Other than that there are a lot of parallels. Sark seems to be more of a people person.

Both programs are has-beens living off of past glories. I know ND made it to the title game last year but that was a fluke.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    edited October 2013
    Sark > Charlie Weiss. Sark is a mediocre coach, weiss is awful
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652

I disagree slightly on Weiss having great talent in with NE. They've always seem to do really well with average skill guys. I think Corey Dillon was with them back then but I'm not sure and I'm sure as hell not going to look it up. :p He Was a very good back but I wouldn't call him elite.

Also some of their defenses were ranked in the 20's ( I know he's an o. coordinator but just throwing it out).

Other than that there are a lot of parallels. Sark seems to be more of a people person.

Both programs are has-beens living off of past glories. I know ND made it to the title game last year but that was a fluke.

Hell, I'd love to have a fluke season like that.

I really do miss WASHINGTON, dammit.

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    To be fair, brilliant genius type offensive coordinators never get good jobs in college football.
  • Notre Dames fluke 2012 season reminded me of UW's fluke 2000 season.

I'd kill for that season again.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Amazing what a good OL and mean assholes on D will do for a team.

Notre Dames fluke 2012 season reminded me of UW's fluke 2000 season.

I'd kill for that season again.