Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What do you Romar haters have to say now?

HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    9-9 2-4 in conf.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Probably that the arguable #1 pick in the NBA draft will win you a couple of games against Drek competition, at home, during the course of the season.
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365
    Romar coached a decent second half, he needs do that every game to make the haters shut up.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Find the remaining wins:

Utah (13-5, 4-2)
    @ Arizona St (9-9, 2-3)
    @ Arizona (16-2, 5-0)
    USC (16-3, 3-3)
    UCLA (18-1, 5-1)
    @ Colorado (10-9, 0-6)
    @ Utah (13-5, 4-2)
    Arizona St (9-9, 2-3)
    Arizona (16-2, 5-0)
    @ Washington St (9-9, 2-4)
    @ UCLA (18-1, 5-1)
    @ USC (16-3, 3-3)

Best case I see is split with ASU, beat the Cougs, and maybe pull one of the remaining 3 against the Mountain schools. 5 conference wins is the ceiling. 4-14 probably the most likely.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Romar coached a decent second half, he needs do that every game to make the haters shut up.

PM Irishdoog
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Tequilla said:

Find the remaining wins:

Utah (13-5, 4-2) W
    @ Arizona St (9-9, 2-3) W
    @ Arizona (16-2, 5-0) L
    USC (16-3, 3-3) W
    UCLA (18-1, 5-1) L
    @ Colorado (10-9, 0-6) W
    @ Utah (13-5, 4-2) L
    Arizona St (9-9, 2-3) W
    Arizona (16-2, 5-0) L
    @ Washington St (9-9, 2-4) W
    @ UCLA (18-1, 5-1) L
    @ USC (16-3, 3-3) L

Best case I see is split with ASU, beat the Cougs, and maybe pull one of the remaining 3 against the Mountain schools. 5 conference wins is the ceiling. 4-14 probably the most likely.

The Utah and ASU back to back wins should make for some entertaining bubble resume talk from Softy.

I'm going to say 13-15 (6-10) should keep him around. Might have CBI potential
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    HuskyJW said:

BOOM!!!

What to say: A shitty coach with next year's #1 draft pick at point guard just beat a shitty Colorado team at home for it's 2nd conference win of the season in a conference worse at basketball than football.
    How's that?
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Fuck. Somebody just spare me. Sloppy Tits needs to fire his ass next Saturday at SeaTac after losing by 40 to 'Zona. Make Porter the interim coach and when hiring Romar's replacement, get them to agree to keep Porter around for at least one more year. Problem solved. Doogs can't complain about losing MPJ and we get rid of a dead man coaching.

With that said, holy fuck is Porter Jr good. Fultz is a bonafide NBA talent. A PG who can score but his specialty isn't really taking over games. He's at his best when he can score when the defense slacks but he's making everyone around him better. Problem is, UW has no semblance of an offense or system for Fultz to run. So as talented as he is, his M.O. isn't taking over games. Porter, on the other hand, is a goddamn beast. Put him on the Coogs next year and they're a 5 seed.

Just to show how important coaching is...last year Trent Johnson was coaching TCU. UW runs them out of the gym. TCU hires Jamie Dixon who has practically no time for a full class (Dixon's not an elite coach but fuck...at this point, anyone who runs an actual system looks like John Wooden to me) and his team waxes UW twice in 5 days. Last year they went 2-16 in the Big XII and so far they're 3-3 with 2 of the losses being by single digits to Kansas and WV. With basically the same players (except for some black albino freshman who's pretty decent). Just goes to show that coaching is everything in college
  • Options
    Dixon isn't an elite coach ... but he's definitely above average.

He'll have TCU in the NCAAs more years than not for sure until he retires.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fuck. Somebody just spare me. Sloppy Tits needs to fire his ass next Saturday at SeaTac after losing by 40 to 'Zona. Make Porter the interim coach and when hiring Romar's replacement, get them to agree to keep Porter around for at least one more year. Problem solved. Doogs can't complain about losing MPJ and we get rid of a dead man coaching.

With that said, holy fuck is Porter Jr good. Fultz is a bonafide NBA talent. A PG who can score but his specialty isn't really taking over games. He's at his best when he can score when the defense slacks but he's making everyone around him better. Problem is, UW has no semblance of an offense or system for Fultz to run. So as talented as he is, his M.O. isn't taking over games. Porter, on the other hand, is a goddamn beast. Put him on the Coogs next year and they're a 5 seed.

Just to show how important coaching is...last year Trent Johnson was coaching TCU. UW runs them out of the gym. TCU hires Jamie Dixon who has practically no time for a full class (Dixon's not an elite coach but fuck...at this point, anyone who runs an actual system looks like John Wooden to me) and his team waxes UW twice in 5 days. Last year they went 2-16 in the Big XII and so far they're 3-3 with 2 of the losses being by single digits to Kansas and WV. With basically the same players (except for some black albino freshman who's pretty decent). Just goes to show that coaching is everything in college

This.

When I was a kid and watching the Russo, Nance years with my dad he would always tell me that if this shitty team with shitty players was coached by the guy at Princeton they would back door cut the pac 10 until everyones heads popped off and make some NCAA tourneys. Unlike football, where you need the top flight Jimmies and Joes paired with an upper crust coach to be a consistent top 15 program, in basketball you need a coach with a system and decent players to execute the system to be a perennial top 45 program. With a good class you might make the occasional run to a sixteen or eight. Missing five, six straight...Blah, blah, blah....... Fire him.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    I watched about 5 minutes. Intolerable.
    MickyMouseGougingEyesOut.gif
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

Find the remaining wins

Utah (13-5, 4-2)
    @ Arizona St (9-9, 2-3)
    @ Arizona (16-2, 5-0)
    USC (16-3, 3-3)
    UCLA (18-1, 5-1)
    @ Colorado (10-9, 0-6)
    @ Utah (13-5, 4-2)
    Arizona St (9-9, 2-3)
    Arizona (16-2, 5-0)
    @ Washington St (9-9, 2-4)
    @ UCLA (18-1, 5-1)
    @ USC (16-3, 3-3)

The day Jen bites the bullet and pays the buyout.
  • Options
    It's very difficult to see how Cohen can allow this to continue into next year ... since being handed the full time gig she's shown herself to actually give a shit about winning.

My concern still comes down to the $$$ on this ... I'm hopeful that there's room to make this make sense to move on and get a suitable replacement.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    HuskyJW said:

BOOM!!!

*Hatters
  • Options
    Can Romar at least make the decision tuff? Giving up 92 to Utah is like giving up 110 to everybody else.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

It's very difficult to see how Cohen can allow this to continue into next year ... since being handed the full time gig she's shown herself to actually give a shit about winning.

My concern still comes down to the $$$ on this ... I'm hopeful that there's room to make this make sense to move on and get a suitable replacement.

Fans are still showing up this year and they'll show up next year.

She doesn't have much financial incentive to make a change.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Dixon isn't an elite coach ... but he's definitely above average.

He'll have TCU in the NCAAs more years than not for sure until he retires.

He was really really good at Pitt. Pitt this year is 12-7 and currently 14th in the ACC.

Replacing an elite or really really good coach rarely works out short term. An Ernie Kent or LoRo sure, but not a guy that wins 20 games in a down year.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I am surprised at the announced ticket sales for UW games this year, but that's only a portion of the revenue stream for the men's team and all the other metrics (concessions/parking/merchandise/tv&radio revenue/etc have to be in the toilet.

The program is obviously on the wrong path, and the "next year/next year" mantra doesn't hold water.

The only way he is back next year is in fact it turns out to be a $ decision, or they win the Pac-12 tourney.