Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The vaunted Cal coaching staff

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited January 2017 in College Football Forum
I applaud the way Cal has gone about this. If you can't afford a proven coach, you roll the dice and go the high risk/high reward. The possibility exists they could roll three sixes and have the best staff in the conference.

They could roll trips ones though just as easily.

No one's ever seen Wilcox coach a game. Nor Baldwin coach at this level. Nor Lake call defensive plays/actually coordinate a defense.

I can't ever remember a school rolling the dice at all top three highest positions at once like this. Could be great, could be terrible.

EWIWBI

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They could be better than Oregon, Wazzu, and Stanford, win 9 games and still get plungered by UW. Prayingdoog.gif
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2017
    haie said:

They could be better than Oregon, Wazzu, and Stanford, win 9 games and still get plungered by UW. Prayingdoog.gif

9 games!!!1!!!

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baldwin knows what he's doing. Wilcox is unproven but Cal actually took a smart risk.

The defense has to improve. The offense shouldn't slip. They get a couple recruiters and they have a shot to be pretty good.

That all flies out the window if Wilcox sucks at instilling discipline, game management, etc but if I was a Cal fan I could get behind this.

This. Cal and UO have made pretty good attempts. I don't want to witness another PAC 12 north where WSU is the second best team and we sleep walk through all but a few games before the playoffs.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

I applaud the way Cal has gone about this. If you can't afford a proven coach, you roll the dice and go the high risk/high reward. The possibility exists they could roll three sixes and have the best staff in the conference.

They could roll trips ones though just as easily.

No one's ever seen Wilcox coach a game. Nor Baldwin coach at this level. Nor Lake call defensive plays/actually coordinate a defense.

I can't ever remember a school rolling the dice at all top three highest positions at once like this. Could be great, could be terrible.

EWIWBI

Or they will just be mediocre as always.

Fun narrative though.