Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The O and D Lines

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
Kim can pop off all day about how "the lines are fine", and they can come up with all kinds of spin about recruiting the lines are fine, but they are getting manhandled on both sides of the ball more often than not. Saturday was glaring how far UW has to go to have even above average lines. Yes, they are improved, But Sankey makes the O-line look better than it is. Price was at least hurried on every passing play. 3 sack I believe. On most plays Mariota felt ZERO pressure and was able to simple stand there and survey the field.

Until this changes, UW will be average at best. And that's what they are. Last year, this year, next year. It starts with the lines, and then the skill players can shine and win games. That's how it has always worked and that's how it works now.

So doogman can keep sugar coating it and making up false statements of progress, but the truth plays out in front of us every week.

Neuheisal without a rose bowl win.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Kim can pop off all day about how "the lines are fine", and they can come up with all kinds of spin about recruiting the lines are fine, but they are getting manhandled on both sides of the ball more often than not. Saturday was glaring how far UW has to go to have even above average lines. Yes, they are improved, But Sankey makes the O-line look better than it is. Price was at least hurried on every passing play. 3 sack I believe. On most plays Mariota felt ZERO pressure and was able to simple stand there and survey the field.

Until this changes, UW will be average at best. And that's what they are. Last year, this year, next year. It starts with the lines, and then the skill players can shine and win games. That's how it has always worked and that's how it works now.

So doogman can keep sugar coating it and making up false statements of progress, but the truth plays out in front of us every week.

Crisped that up for you
    I think they are average.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Our defensive line was much more alarming yesterday than the O-Line (which is really saying something because O-Line was pretty bad).

Until Sark puts much more urgency in landing better linemen on both sides of the ball you can pretty much just chalk up this brand of football for awhile. We have arguably the best QB/RB duo Washington has had in a long time with a decent core of recievers and a very good linebacking crew and secondary.

I am sure Keith missed some open recievers yesterday but when you snap the ball and aren't confident in your line and expecting to scramble this is going to happen. You can tell watching Mariota that he is 100% confident in his blocking making him find the open recievers much better as well as making more accurate throws.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,379 Founders Club
    IS this the football discussion people are longing for?
    Swaye said:

This doesn't apply to you but I do notice that when there is a topic related to the team some of the people who are constantly crying for actual football discussion jump in and sarcastically go "WOW an actual topic about football!" then of course that sarcasm is hit with more sarcasm from other people and then it goes to shit.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Not good enough.

Crisped that up for you
    I think they are average.

Swaye said:

This doesn't apply to you but I do notice that when there is a topic related to the team some of the people who are constantly crying for actual football discussion jump in and sarcastically go "WOW an actual topic about football!" then of course that sarcasm is hit with more sarcasm from other people and then it goes to shit.
    Exactly. Which is why I posted that, to take pot shots at those people. I am the worst kind of message bored lunatic.
    I will say that Sark did get a couple good gets on the D-Line last recruiting class and if he lands another solid one this year then defensively the trenches could be pretty decent in a year or two.

Offensive line is going to be decent next year but a DISASTER for years to come after that if Sark doesn't get his shit together.

I will say that Sark did get a couple good gets on the D-Line last recruiting class and if he lands another solid one this year then defensively the trenches could be pretty decent in a year or two.

Offensive line is going to be decent next year but a DISASTER for years to come after that if Sark doesn't get his shit together.

I agree we got soem highly rated kids for the DL last year, and that made me happy I guess, I will know more when they play. But, I see no solution whatsoever for replacing Shelton?

I don't stalk boys, but unless there is some instant impact 300 pound NT that we are getting next year, we are going to have issues at the point of attack for quite soemtime I fear.
  • On UW TV last night they were replaying the 2000 team vs UCLA and I wanted to watch what a good team looked like.

Then a thought occurred to me during the game. The 2013 Huskies had better WR's, RB's, Secondary and LB's than the 2000 group. QB was a slight disadvantage for 2013 as I'd give the nod to Tui despite the numbers.

However the 2000 team had a HUGE edge on the DL and OL than this group. The WR's and RB's were so average on that team yet looked so good because the OL was creating massive holes. It's why when they mostly graduated guys like Rich Alexis career went to shit and everyone was confused.

• Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Sark has built a house of cards on the sand. That was especially evident Saturday opposite Oregon. The lines are a team's foundations. Without strong foundations, the structure fails.