Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Clemson Offense

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
We are getting the big WR's and a playmaking TE, but we are missing the Wes Welker move the chains type like Renfrow is.

McClatcher plays that position but he's not really known for his hands. He's a weapon, but he looked bad when he had to adjust or catch in traffic.

For all the talk about Browning's strengths pre snap, Watson was better. If Alabama played man, they went to a pick route or slant/drag for Renfrow or let Williams man up and make a play downfield. And water is wet but a running QB that is able to get a few yards by running under duress really fucking helps.

Alabama played cover two and Watson hit the big TE in between the zone.

Alabama could play us straight up, get us in third and long and send pressure that the OL wouldn't pick up or Browning would simply crack. Clemson had Alabama winded but they also had them playing different defense that Watson was able to read and exploit.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We are also missing the great QB and most of the OL.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

For all the talk about Browning's strengths pre snap, Watson was better. If Alabama played man, they went to a pick route or slant/drag for Renfrow or let Williams man up and make a play downfield. And water is wet but a running QB that is able to get a few yards by running under duress really fucking helps.

I know there are a bunch of spread haters on this board, but that is what a well-designed and executed hurry-up, no-huddle spread offense with a quality dual-threat QB does.

The combination of pace, personnel and formations forces the defense to play fairly vanilla. The spacing also allows reads and RPOs to be keyed off a single guy in space, which makes it that much easier for a QB to make pre-snap and post-snap decisions.

A shitty spread offense is no better than a shitty pro-style, wishbone or whatever. But a really good spread offense is very tough to beat, especially now that there have been enough tactical innovations in spread football to achieve a real downhill, power running game out of those personnel packages and formations.

Clearly Petersen's offense incorporates some of these things, but doesn't really commit to them either.

• Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I've never seen a team with so many white guys and so many small people perform so well.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2017
    AIRWOLF said:

I know there are a bunch of spread haters on this board, but that is what a well-designed and executed hurry-up, no-huddle spread offense with a quality dual-threat QB does.

The combination of pace, personnel and formations forces the defense to play fairly vanilla. The spacing also allows reads and RPOs to be keyed off a single guy in space, which makes it that much easier for a QB to make pre-snap and post-snap decisions.

A shitty spread offense is no better than a shitty pro-style, wishbone or whatever. But a really good spread offense is very tough to beat, especially now that there have been enough tactical innovations in spread football to achieve a real downhill, power running game out of those personnel packages and formations.

Clearly Petersen's offense incorporates some of these things, but doesn't really commit to them either.

I like how Petersen doesn't play hurry up. I don't like what it does to defenses.

A shitty offense is a shitty offense. Plenty of spreads are horrible dink and dunk bullshit.

Clemson and Auburn with Newton really had the only spread offenses I like. Oklahoma has a pretty good one too. Oregon's was good but didn't bring enough of the power element.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

AIRWOLF said:

I like how Petersen doesn't play hurry up. I don't like what it does to defenses.

A shitty offense is a shitty offense. Plenty of spreads are horrible dink and dunk bullshit.

Clemson and Auburn with Newton really had the only spread offenses I like. Oklahoma has a pretty good one too. Oregon's was good but didn't bring enough of the power element.
    The versions of Oregon's spread with LaMike and Darron Thomas brought the power. Those were good teams that went in and humiliated Stanford at home and ran the ball down everyone's throat. With the running stats those teams had, it's a huge stretch to dream that it was all finesse and smoke and mirrors. Early Chip was pretty solid.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

AIRWOLF said:

The versions of Oregon's spread with LaMike and Darron Thomas brought the power. Those were good teams that went in and humiliated Stanford at home and ran the ball down everyone's throat. With the running stats those teams had, it's a huge stretch to dream that it was all finesse and smoke and mirrors. Early Chip was pretty solid.
    Their team speed beat Stanford more than power. Zone read and outside zone isn't really power football.

They were really good. They weren't powerful.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

AIRWOLF said:

Their team speed beat Stanford more than power. Zone read and outside zone isn't really power football.

They were really good. They weren't powerful.
    You can't gain yards off tackle with a pussy blocking for you, I don't care when or how the hand off happens.

Oregon's O line was nails in the run game in those days. No they didn't run over you like Alabama does but it was purposeful inside running.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

AIRWOLF said:

You don't say ...
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

HuskyJW said:

Clemson is better than UW.

Enough said about that.

Yeah, they played down to their competition too often, but DDY was right about them.
    Mods, can we sticky this poast?!?1 @DerekJohnson @CheersWestDawg @Mods
    The best way to not have something done is to request the mods to do it.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People forget that I was the best mod in the history of the mod game. @Fenderbender123 a close 2nd.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

We are getting the big WR's and a playmaking TE, but we are missing the Wes Welker move the chains type like Renfrow is.

McClatcher plays that position but he's not really known for his hands. He's a weapon, but he looked bad when he had to adjust or catch in traffic.

Alabama could play us straight up, get us in third and long and send pressure that the OL wouldn't pick up or Browning would simply crack. Clemson had Alabama winded but they also had them playing different defense that Watson was able to read and exploit.

I agree with most of this poast. But as to the bolded part:
    Hunter Renfrow (2016): 44 rec, 495 yds, 11.3 avg, long 35, 6 TDs
    Dante Pettis (2016): 53 rec, 822 yds, 15.5 avg, long 61, 15 TDs

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2017
    TTJ said:

Pettis is probably better. That said, Renfrow has destroyed Alabama twice. Renforw also missed 5 games. Renfrow is a slot. Pettis plays outside. Pettis disappeared a little bit in the big games although it's tough to blame him for it too much.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

HuskyJW said:

Enough said about that.

Yeah, they played down to their competition too often, but DDY was right about them.
    Mods, can we sticky this poast?!?1 @DerekJohnson @CheersWestDawg @Mods
    The best way to not have something done is to request the mods to do it.
    Ok.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

HuskyJW said:

Enough said about that.

Okay can someone who is not the mods sticky this?!?!? Thank you magicians of the internet!!

• Options
    halfbrainmanmolderhalfbrainmanmolder Member Posts: 212
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

TTJ said:

Pettis is probably better. That said, Renfrow has destroyed Alabama twice. Renforw also missed 5 games. Renfrow is a slot. Pettis plays outside. Pettis disappeared a little bit in the big games although it's tough to blame him for it too much.
    Pettis disappeared in the big games?
    1. Made the game winning TD in OT against Arizona -- a pretty big game at the time as pointed by DDY: winning a road game when it mattered for UW in a long long time plus ending the long losing streak to Zona.
    2. Punt returned the game winning TD against Utah. A big on the road game against a highly ranked Utah team at the time.
    3. Grabbed the only UW TD against Bama in the biggest game of them all.

The two "big" games that he didn't do much -- USC and Colorado, Brownsocks couldn't deliver and in the case of Colorado, his service was not needed anyway as we! ran over the Buffs. On the other hand, he was clutch in the only two close wins of the season, but still ...
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,500
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Maybe Sean McGrew???