Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Marinerization of Husky Football spells Doom for the Future

2»

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Tailgater said:

When I told my son in Mill creek that I'd decided not to come over for the Oregon game, he seemed disappointed since I'd indicated to him after the BSU game that I planned on attending. He'd forgotten that I'd conditioned my attending the Oregon game on the Huskies beating Stanford the previous week. I don't know and didn't ask if he was disappointed that we would not be going to a game in Husky Stadium together or that my attending and taking three grandsons with me would allow him to stay home. I hope it was the former, since the grandsons have never seen UW beat Oregon, at least not that they can remember and thus as dedicated Huskyfans, they will always want to attend just in case the upset should ever happen....... and their dad should be there to experience such an event with his sons.

My oldest son just turned 50 and he and I have a history of attending HS football games as well as Husky games together. It really got going when I was working at Hanford in 1970,-71, and -72, living in Richland, and the boy and I would drive over early Saturday morning, eat a lunch out of the tailgate of my Datsun 510 wagon, and drive home in the evening after the game,...... which more often than not thanks to Sonny Sixkiller and crew was a win. That was great father-son bonding while enjoying pure fun even better than our salmon fishing trips to La push and Westport later after we moved back to Seattle. Those memories always keep me reminded of how much we have lost with the destruction of Husky Football at the hands of incompetent management under indifferent UW administration over the past ten years. Unless drastic change somehow falls on us like a surprise tsunami, Huskies may never feast on Crispy or Peking duck again.

Sounds like your son went to husky games with his dad on crisp fall afternoons.

I think the first year I really started going to UW games, UW went 1-10.
    Your dad is worse than Hitler.
  • Tailgater said:

When I told my son in Mill creek that I'd decided not to come over for the Oregon game, he seemed disappointed since I'd indicated to him after the BSU game that I planned on attending. He'd forgotten that I'd conditioned my attending the Oregon game on the Huskies beating Stanford the previous week. I don't know and didn't ask if he was disappointed that we would not be going to a game in Husky Stadium together or that my attending and taking three grandsons with me would allow him to stay home. I hope it was the former, since the grandsons have never seen UW beat Oregon, at least not that they can remember and thus as dedicated Huskyfans, they will always want to attend just in case the upset should ever happen....... and their dad should be there to experience such an event with his sons.

My oldest son just turned 50 and he and I have a history of attending HS football games as well as Husky games together. It really got going when I was working at Hanford in 1970,-71, and -72, living in Richland, and the boy and I would drive over early Saturday morning, eat a lunch out of the tailgate of my Datsun 510 wagon, and drive home in the evening after the game,...... which more often than not thanks to Sonny Sixkiller and crew was a win. That was great father-son bonding while enjoying pure fun even better than our salmon fishing trips to La push and Westport later after we moved back to Seattle. Those memories always keep me reminded of how much we have lost with the destruction of Husky Football at the hands of incompetent management under indifferent UW administration over the past ten years. Unless drastic change somehow falls on us like a surprise tsunami, Huskies may never feast on Crispy or Peking duck again.

Great story and that's the problem you have lost an entire generation of fans. These seniors were born in 1996 so they were 4 last time UW was good.

The legal drinking age is 21 so they were born in 1992 meaning they were 8 last time UW was good.

That story you just described is replaced with Seahawks games with their dad or worse yet Duck games. Kids growing up like winners and want to like the "cool" team. Seeing Oregon flags in Seattle was a thought that never even came up in the early 90's.

Instead it was Portland who had a lot of Husky fans. Now the roles have reversed you won't find much purple in Portland and you'll find a lot of green, yellow, black, silver, white ducks gear in Seattle.

Husky Football started the process of dying in August of 1993 and it finished the deal in June of 2003. It's been so sad to witness and endure.

This past decade which was unthinkable in our lifetimes is reality. Now the only unthinkable part is the Huskies returning to the James era. That feels like a far fetched pipe dream at this point.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Tailgater said:

I rarely went with my Dad.

Hth
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,251 Founders Club

Tailgater said:

I rarely went with my Dad.

Hth
    yeah, but still.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Agree except for one point. It only takes one 10 win/Rose Bowl year to hook someone, even if they were nine when it happened. It helps when that rose bowl comes after the good/bad schizophrenia of Lambo, memories of that Air Force beat-down in the Aloha Bowl.

Tailgater said:

Great story and that's the problem you have lost an entire generation of fans. These seniors were born in 1996 so they were 4 last time UW was good.

The legal drinking age is 21 so they were born in 1992 meaning they were 8 last time UW was good.

That story you just described is replaced with Seahawks games with their dad or worse yet Duck games. Kids growing up like winners and want to like the "cool" team. Seeing Oregon flags in Seattle was a thought that never even came up in the early 90's.

Instead it was Portland who had a lot of Husky fans. Now the roles have reversed you won't find much purple in Portland and you'll find a lot of green, yellow, black, silver, white ducks gear in Seattle.

Husky Football started the process of dying in August of 1993 and it finished the deal in June of 2003. It's been so sad to witness and endure.

This past decade which was unthinkable in our lifetimes is reality. Now the only unthinkable part is the Huskies returning to the James era. That feels like a far fetched pipe dream at this point.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,251 Founders Club
    @DeLarry is a prime example of this.
  • Agree except for one point. It only takes one 10 win/Rose Bowl year to hook someone, even if they were nine when it happened. It helps when that rose bowl comes after the good/bad schizophrenia of Lambo, memories of that Air Force beat-down in the Aloha Bowl.

Tailgater said:

Look it could all change in a hurry but with our fan base, AD and head coach I don't see it happening.

UW doesn't fire coaches until they fire themselves. Sark isn't going to fire himself as he'll always take this program to shit tier bowl games which is what upper campus cares about.

Doogs and even people in here will still light their money on fire and go to the games to support this product.