Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake taking some couch measurements

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Cal: ESPN reports interim head coach / offensive coordinator Jake Spavital will interview for the Cal head coaching job on Tuesday. 247Sports adds that some more of the expected interviews include Wisconsin defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox and Washington co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake.

Comments

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Spavital is 31. I just don't see him as having the experience to take over a program. Too big of a gamble. If Wilcox comes and keeps Spavital, I could get behind that. I liked Wilcox until he was tainted by his association with Sark. Lake seems like a solid position coach, but other than that I have no opinion of him. Still prefer Kawasaki
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kim says " Jimmy Lake is not a candidate for the Cal job"
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    ROONEY SAYS HI!
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think it's going to be hard to hold onto Lake forever. He will probably want a a head coaching gig at some point. Until then though let's add some 0s to that paycheck. Socha as well.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lake would be a good, but risky hire for Cal. He has the right demeanor to be a head coach. And he can recruit.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lake would be a good, but risky hire for Cal. He has the right demeanor to be a head coach. And he can recruit.

Cheap, too. This is a move in surprised more programs don't pursue -- take a flier on an obvious stud of a coach who is on his way to a being a "legitimate" head coach candidate in a few years.

Save a ton of money and, if you get the right guy, huge competitive advantage to get him first.

Instead programs pay huge salaries for retreads and has beens.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,108
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Kim says " Jimmy Lake is not a candidate for the Cal job"

He gone.
    I want him to leave for Cal just so Kim can be wrong
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

doogville said:

Cheap, too. This is a move in surprised more programs don't pursue -- take a flier on an obvious stud of a coach who is on his way to a being a "legitimate" head coach candidate in a few years.

Save a ton of money and, if you get the right guy, huge competitive advantage to get him first.

Instead programs pay huge salaries for retreads and has beens.
    You mean like the Sark hire? :wink:
    Lake has actually developed guys that weren't 4 and 5 stars. He's also probably not an alcoholic.
    Some big assumptions going on here
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This is a bottom tier PAC job ... if I was Lake I'd take the interview for the experience but I'd wait and target either the UCLA or ASU jobs when they come available
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

This is a bottom tier PAC job ... if I was Lake I'd take the interview for the experience but I'd wait and target either the UCLA or ASU jobs when they come available

Jesus, if Lake ran UCLA. That will be a legit program
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I'd say he would be better off finding a good lower tier program like Colorado State/Boise St etc when their coach moves on. Look at the UH job...they hate it, but it's been the perfect springboard job. Get a few years learning to run a program without the craziness of having to rebuild it, get some success, and then you can move into a major program.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I wish Slick Willie had hired Lake for our DBs. But I'm happy with his staff so whatevs.