Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Charging...

to maximum defensive doog...

With Vea coming back, thinking about the next mutation of death row has me fully torqued.

Vea/Gaines/Johnson (wrecked BAMA and looks like he's taken a leap)/Benning/Levi
Azeem/Keshawn/Tevis/Eifler
Rapp/Murphy/Love

It still looks like we have serious talent on that side and some people ready to make Psalm a distant fucking memory. The secondary won't be lights out from the get go, but if Rapp's development is any indication, could be really fucking good by the end of the season. They have the athletes without a doubt. My early pick is that Love takes King's spot as swagmaster and is dick slapping receivers by the BYE.

None of this will matter if Smith doesn't set himself on fire, but we could still pop off and win 11, even in that nightmare scenario. Calling my doctor in 4 hours...

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    this team should be able to make the rose bowl at the very least.

assuming vea is back, with most of the offense returning and the pass rush being better it's hard to see more than 1 loss before the PacCG with the schedule.

even if we? lose that game to USC, it would still be enough for a rose bowl bid assuming USC would be a playoff team with the pac-12 title.

I'm not sure if anyone outside of perhaps Stanford provides a real threat in the north
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Did we get something more definitive on Virta than Roofs?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I disagree with the categorization of him as a mid 1st rounder. wouldn't go there yet
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dhdawg said:
    Hmm. I'd like to have something from Virta or the school but that will have to do for now.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dhdawg said:
    Hmm. I'd like to have something from Virta or the school but that will have to do for now.
    Yeah we still all need to say our virta prayers.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Vita is a 1st rounder next year if everything goes right for him ... likely a high one.

It's a good business decision for him to stay ... just like it was a good one for the rest to go
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Defense will be fine. We have lost that kind of talent and improved before. We don't need NFL players like Baker, Jones and King to compete with the Dreck-12. Biggest area to improve is pass rush on defense. Maybe some extra beef to stop the Bama/Scarborough combo. But even there, the defense wasn't really the issue. Pete has proven that player development is no longer an issue.

Much more concerned with how Browning improves, especially after losing Ross. And if the line can give him some more time against elite competition. As fun as this year was, the deep ducks that looked awesome against Rutgers level competition didn't consistently cut it against USC and Bama.

Browning probably isn't improving much. From my armchair you commit really fucking hard to running the ball with the 2 RB's and being physical up front. Even more than this year. Drill it again and again. Create competition and create depth.

Pete and Smith probably think there is no way we will ever get an OL good enough to compete against Alabama so they are designing new pass concepts and figuring out ways to exploit explosive plays.

I'm kidding... sort of.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If I were God (truth be told, After the Bama game I realized I was close—if only I had the OL recruiting right, I'd be there!!) this is what I would do:

QB: Brownsocks
    RB: Myles (Lavon 1b)
    WR: Pettis
    WR: Chico
    TE: Sample
    TE: DisslyDawg
    LT: Grizzly Adams
    LG: Roberts (Fuck it)
    C: Shelton (puke in own mouth)
    RG: Wattenberg (RS Harris: move to C)
    RT: Frankenstein

DT: Gaines
    DT: Vea
    BUCK: Zeem the Dream
    SAM: Potatoes/Amandre/whomever
    MIK: Tevis
    WIL: Keishawn
    CB: JMills
    CB: whomever is best
    S: RappCulture
    S: JoJoMac
    Slot: Joyner

You could, in theory, put Zeem at SAM and Benning at BUCK; if Benning makes strides that would be a devastating front.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,801
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I love my white running backs! Dennis is going to love having whitey in our backfield!
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,956
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2017
    Fuck putting Azeem at Buck...going up against Alabama people bitched that they have LBs that are 230 and can run, and we had one (with a broke leg). Why do we want to move him again? Add to that he is much more likely to be playing MLB in the NFL...do you really want coaches recruiting against future LBs saying they will play you out of position?

Talent-wise I like Potoa'e, Amadre, Levi, etc. over DJ Beavers and BBK...the ceiling is much higher with those guys. Why do we want to push them off the field again?

Man I wish we hadn't blown Wellington's Freshman year as well...
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,643
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2017

Yeah, Vea was huge to keep (hope it stays for the next two weeks before the window closes).

We will have a very good front (Gaines, Virta, Jaylen, Levi, McCoy, Pulu, Bowman, Clark, Scrempos)

Our edge will be better (Amandre, Benning, Tevis, Rice, Sterk, O'Brien, Warren)

LB's improved too simply because of depth (Zeem, Bierria, Beavers, Eifler, BBK, Wellington)

I saw someone else mention this, but I am very intrigued by the idea of Azeem at BUCK in some spots or maybe for the year. I really like our depth in the middle and I know he is a GREAT blitzer, and he has that mentality for it too. Obviously, I am perfectly happy if they keep him at MIK, but I do have wet dreams of him coming off the edge.

Benning could also slide to DL in situations, although I really like him at BUCK. Levi and Jaylen will both move all over the DL. Myles Rice is a real wild card, I saw (Stalked) him at the Peach Bowl DAWG WALK and he is a big kid. He was raw as hell coming out of HS but had so many rare human characteristics.

Our DBs have just so much talent, it will be young, but man. With Lake coaching these guys... Byron Murphy, Kent Love, JoJo, Isaiah Gilchrist, #MYRAPP, Jordan Miller, Zeke Turner, Keith Taylor, Austin Joyner, Molden.

I see no reason not to expect another 10 win season.

Rice looked fucking massive, he has to be pushing at least 260 pounds.

I know you guys love Salvon on offense, but I think he would make a better corner. He turns his hips so smoothly and effortlessly
    Careful mentioning Salvon on defense round here. Might get you shot.

I took 3 or 4 bullets for it.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Fuck I totally forgot about Amandre. The future of the pass rush is bright.