Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Noteworthy comparison to 85 Orange Bowl?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,165
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
The 84 Huskies went into the Orange Bowl with much the same national banter that we're seeing with the Peach Bowl. Oklahoma had the nation's #1 rushing defense and was considered an easy favorite. But Don James and Gary Pinkel put wrinkles into the game plan that confused the Sooners. In fact, now that I think about it, DJ emphasized during one of our interviews that Dan Dorazio (the only coach he ever fired) was the one who came up with trap scheme that enabled the Huskies to rush for over 200 yards and win 28-17

The media then began to say "if you give Don James four weeks to prepare.. "

Maybe the same will be said of Petersen

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

The 84 Huskies went into the Orange Bowl with much the same national banter that we're seeing with the Peach Bowl. Oklahoma had the nation's #1 rushing defense and was considered an easy favorite. But Don James and Gary Pinkel put wrinkles into the game plan that confused the Sooners. In fact, now that I think about it, DJ emphasized during one of our interviews that Dan Dorazio (the only coach he ever fired) was the one who came up with trap scheme that enabled the Huskies to rush for over 200 yards and win 28-17

Before the game, Switzer had lobbied publicaly for the Natty while James kept his mouth shut.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,165
    Founders Club
    For the record, I felt like AAAAAAANDY while I typed the original post.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

For the record, I felt like AAAAAAANDY while I typed the original post.

Just on that post?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Don't forget the other eerie similarity to the 1984 season- i.e., both teams lost only 1 game in conference, with said defeats coming at the hands of USC. By 9 pts in 1984 and 13 this year. So we're staying on script, right?

UW won the conference this time though.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Following that Orange Bowl, the next five years were very mediocre until the 1990 team. Will Husky fans have patience with Petersen if he had a stretch like this?

1985: 7-5
    1986: 8-3-1
    1987: 7-4-1
    1988: 6-5
    1989: 8-4
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

The media said 8 years ago
    "If you give Petersen time to prepare"... he's already done it at the highest level. But I do like your comparison. Good HDB material
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,003
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One of the greatest part of that game was Tony Casillas being lauded before the game as unstoppable, and after the game for all the havoc he wreaked. Guy was upfield 5 yards every play. They neglected to notice that Dan Ernesseesesseieieeone let him fly past him ever play and just lightly pushed him out of the way while Nate's dad ran through the vacant hole.

Good times. Good times.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam

What's this year's equivalent of the Sooner Schooner getting stuck on the field?

Is Pumpy going to the game?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Aandy's posts have shit like "...in 1968, Jim Owens suspended Dirk Diggler for pouring a beer on a young lady at a dive bar in Ballard, which was witnessed by several dozen patrons...he learned a lesson, the next week, he had five tackles against Oregon St....what a game that was...speaking of Oregon State, they didn't have any 200 yard passing games from 1985-1987, it took Jerry Pettibone's ill-fated offensive coordinator to finally break through against ASU in October of 1987 in a rain soaked Parker Stadium...which was named after a confereate soldier who moved to Oregon in 1876..."

YVBE ... I laffed
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,557
    Swaye's Wigwam

Following that Orange Bowl, the next five years were very mediocre until the 1990 team. Will Husky fans have patience with Petersen if he had a stretch like this?

1985: 7-5
    1986: 8-3-1
    1987: 7-4-1
    1988: 6-5
    1989: 8-4

No