Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Caple article about Romar and Porter

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Reads basically like a threat to keep Romar as coach or else.

Also, he makes 300k a year as an assistant....if we lose Jimmy lake because we're outbid I swear to god burn it down.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article121905773.html

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fire Romar, keep Porter Sr if possible.

Really just fire Romar. Let a new coach burn it down. Give him 3-4 years and see where you are at.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If you come out of anything from the story other than pay for play I recommend investing in ocean front property in the Dakotas
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The best part of the story is Porter SR being asked in junior would still come to UW if Romar isn't the coach. That's a huge step for the pussy Seattle media.
  • Options
    I'm surprised an answer was given
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I'm surprised you're surprised
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    here's the answer on what UW needs to do:

"Would Michael Jr. still want come to UW if that happened?

“I can honestly say I don’t know,” Michael Sr. said. “But I will say this – Michael’s relationship with Coach Romar was a humungous factor in choosing Washington. So if Coach Romar isn’t here … I don’t know what he would decide to do.

“But I do know this – if Romar had not been here when he was making his decision, (I’m) not sure Washington would have gotten a look.

in other words, UW's basketball team is such a dumpster fire, that unless the kid's godfather is the coach, UW doesn't get a look. Not a sustainable model....unless Porter's other 7 kids are recruits I guess.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I would have probably answered with a "no comment" (if it was 100% pay for play) or saying that "the decision my son made was one that he came to after careful consideration and we support his decision."

I get it ... Romar's had a huge influence on the life of the Porter family and that's great. Romar's a great guy ... everybody says so.

But this article IMO really starts to question how great of a guy Romar is. There's no logical reason for me to believe that Porter as a coach should be the highest paid assistant based on his resume or accomplishments. There are people that say that "Coach Chill" is a potential head coach at some point in the future and he's long been lauded for his deep connections at the grass roots level for recruiting. His track record and resume for recruiting is night and day compared to what Porter has accomplished so far in his career.

So to me, there's only a few logical arguments when it comes to why Porter is getting paid as the highest assistant ...

1) Porter's getting the credit for recruiting the highest rated recruit UW has ever signed in Porter Jr. as well as locking up the commitment of another highly rated prospect in the 2018 class ... also a Porter. But the problem with that is that it's a conflict of interest as a starting point even IF Porter was already on the UW staff prior to either of the kids being high end recruits ...

2) But the bigger issue here is that Porter Sr wasn't on staff until just recently and then his son almost immediately decided to go to Washington ... same with his other son. Neither of them have ties to the area other than Romar. Porter Sr.'s coaching experience in no way, shape or form suggest that he is qualified to be an assistant for a Pac12 program ... much less that of its highest paid assistant. I'm not trying to say that Porter perhaps doesn't have a future as an assistant ... that's not the problem. If Porter was making at a comparable level to Will Conroy, I don't think that there'd be a massive problem. But making the highest on staff ... makes no sense. The support is that others were trying to bid for his services and that there was a potential bidding war ... that seems strange to me. You could almost get me to buy the story that Romar/Porter are long-time friends, Porter wanted to get into the coaching business, Romar thought he had potential, and then told him he had to get some experience first before he brought him on his staff. I get that given their close relationship and the idea that Romar is going to help mentor him. BUT why would another school with no long-term ties to Porter have in offering him a significant contract as an assistant? Could it be because it may secure them favorable status with a certain high-end recruit?

It used to be that arguing against Romar the coach was countered by how much of a man of character Romar was and that he ran his program the right way. But at this point, it's just blatant corruption and the dealings with the Porter's is a blatant pay for play scheme. I'm not trying to be the moral police because honestly basketball has been dirty for so long that I don't care whether you cheat or not ... what I do have a problem with is that when you do cheat you better have results to counter the risk associated with it ... and you certainly lose ability to also stand on the moral authority ground. The "he does it the right way" shit for Romar is gone ... you can't use that as a supporting argument anymore. So it really just comes back down to can you win basketball games ... and he can't.

I'm not 100% sure what Jen Cohen is doing in this article either ... she's clearly supporting him right now (which I don't 100% blame her on doing publicly until she makes a decision to move on). But there's not a shred of evidence that suggests that he's doing anything worthy of keeping his job. Even what he is doing in recruiting is sufficiently shady enough at this point that any kind of NCAA investigation into the program wouldn't shock me. And getting probation, losing scholarships, etc. is a fucking disaster if you're not winning and crippling if they happen on your way out the door as you hand the dumpster fire to the next coach who is underqualified because no qualified candidate would take a job like this with one hand tied behind their back.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I would have probably answered with a "no comment" (if it was 100% pay for play) or saying that "the decision my son made was one that he came to after careful consideration and we support his decision."

I get it ... Romar's had a huge influence on the life of the Porter family and that's great. Romar's a great guy ... everybody says so.

But this article IMO really starts to question how great of a guy Romar is. There's no logical reason for me to believe that Porter as a coach should be the highest paid assistant based on his resume or accomplishments. There are people that say that "Coach Chill" is a potential head coach at some point in the future and he's long been lauded for his deep connections at the grass roots level for recruiting. His track record and resume for recruiting is night and day compared to what Porter has accomplished so far in his career.

So to me, there's only a few logical arguments when it comes to why Porter is getting paid as the highest assistant ...

1) Porter's getting the credit for recruiting the highest rated recruit UW has ever signed in Porter Jr. as well as locking up the commitment of another highly rated prospect in the 2018 class ... also a Porter. But the problem with that is that it's a conflict of interest as a starting point even IF Porter was already on the UW staff prior to either of the kids being high end recruits ...

2) But the bigger issue here is that Porter Sr wasn't on staff until just recently and then his son almost immediately decided to go to Washington ... same with his other son. Neither of them have ties to the area other than Romar. Porter Sr.'s coaching experience in no way, shape or form suggest that he is qualified to be an assistant for a Pac12 program ... much less that of its highest paid assistant. I'm not trying to say that Porter perhaps doesn't have a future as an assistant ... that's not the problem. If Porter was making at a comparable level to Will Conroy, I don't think that there'd be a massive problem. But making the highest on staff ... makes no sense. The support is that others were trying to bid for his services and that there was a potential bidding war ... that seems strange to me. You could almost get me to buy the story that Romar/Porter are long-time friends, Porter wanted to get into the coaching business, Romar thought he had potential, and then told him he had to get some experience first before he brought him on his staff. I get that given their close relationship and the idea that Romar is going to help mentor him. BUT why would another school with no long-term ties to Porter have in offering him a significant contract as an assistant? Could it be because it may secure them favorable status with a certain high-end recruit?

It used to be that arguing against Romar the coach was countered by how much of a man of character Romar was and that he ran his program the right way. But at this point, it's just blatant corruption and the dealings with the Porter's is a blatant pay for play scheme. I'm not trying to be the moral police because honestly basketball has been dirty for so long that I don't care whether you cheat or not ... what I do have a problem with is that when you do cheat you better have results to counter the risk associated with it ... and you certainly lose ability to also stand on the moral authority ground. The "he does it the right way" shit for Romar is gone ... you can't use that as a supporting argument anymore. So it really just comes back down to can you win basketball games ... and he can't.

I'm not 100% sure what Jen Cohen is doing in this article either ... she's clearly supporting him right now (which I don't 100% blame her on doing publicly until she makes a decision to move on). But there's not a shred of evidence that suggests that he's doing anything worthy of keeping his job. Even what he is doing in recruiting is sufficiently shady enough at this point that any kind of NCAA investigation into the program wouldn't shock me. And getting probation, losing scholarships, etc. is a fucking disaster if you're not winning and crippling if they happen on your way out the door as you hand the dumpster fire to the next coach who is underqualified because no qualified candidate would take a job like this with one hand tied behind their back.
    Disagree
  • Options
    Sadly no matter how right you are tequila you're still in the minority.

I agree romar has made horrid decisions on not only players and roster construction, but bigger issues in assistants.

I love will, but not sure what he brings. I know this team is one of the worst defensively ever. Add chill who may be a good recruiter but I'm not sure of his career contribution on the court. Jackson has a clue, but I fear romar stamps out anything he would offer.

It's just not a well constructed staff, and that's before you bring in the whole porter situation. It's beyond stink at this point.

It's pay2play at the highest level. And here is a heads up. When you think romar can't fail at doing something else this decade , he shows us he can fail at cheating. That's how bad we suck
  • Options
    In a competent program, Will as the junior assistant on the roster is a great hire. Will has the care in him to be a great coach.

The problem is that I can't see how much Romar develops him ... what's Romar's track record of assistants getting promotions to head coaching jobs? It's not very good.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Romar is a good guy. He once confused me for a basketball recruit's friend at a football practice. He asked me where the recruit (Aaron Bright) went. I think it was 2010.

I just looked at him confused and shrugged. He thought it was pretty funny once he realized I wasn't who he thought he was. I told him I should have rolled with it and said Aaron went home.

He took 5 minutes to shoot the shit about the football and basketball teams, etc. People were coming to talk to him, shake his hand, etc but he continued to talk. He saw me walking out to leave later and gave me a wave.

Good guy. Shit basketball coach.
  • Options

Romar is a good guy. He once confused me for a basketball recruit's friend at a football practice. He asked me where the recruit (Aaron Bright) went. I think it was 2010.

I just looked at him confused and shrugged. He thought it was pretty funny once he realized I wasn't who he thought he was. I told him I should have rolled with it and said Aaron went home.

He took 5 minutes to shoot the shit about the football and basketball teams, etc. People were coming to talk to him, shake his hand, etc but he continued to talk. He saw me walking out to leave later and gave me a wave.

Cool story bruh
  • Options

So that was a long way of saying romar should be running for mayor, not coaching uw basketball.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

So that was a long way of saying romar should be running for mayor, not coaching uw basketball.
    To be fair, UW was pretty good back then.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I don't want porter. I don't even want to risk the small chance of porter carrying this team to a 10 seed in the tournament and justifying an extension for romar