Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

CEO of New York Times calls for social media to subsidize the mainstream media

Options

Comments

• Mosster47
    Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Options
  • 2001400ex
    2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    What's your take on fake news?
  • Fenderbender123
    Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,902 Standard Supporter
    Options
    "Real" news needs to do a better job, and stop writing articles about stupid shit like how Trump said something that could be considered racist. Seriously, it's stupid shit like that that's costing them. Knock it off, and start reporting shit that is actually important and informative.
  • 2001400ex
    Options

"Real" news needs to do a better job, and stop writing articles about stupid shit like how Trump said something that could be considered racist. Seriously, it's stupid shit like that that's costing them. Knock it off, and start reporting shit that is actually important and informative.

So what you are saying, is that when Trump says racist shit, the media shouldn't report it? What about when Trump says stupid shit like 3 million illegals voted? Should the media ignore that too?
  • Fenderbender123
    Options
    2001400ex said:

So what you are saying, is that when Trump says racist shit, the media shouldn't report it? What about when Trump says stupid shit like 3 million illegals voted? Should the media ignore that too?
    Yes
  • 2001400ex
    Options

2001400ex said:

Yes
    What about when Obama talks about black lives matter, should the media call him out as being a racist?
  • greenblood
    greenblood Member Posts: 14,304
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The point being, like cable, the media has segmented itself into specific demographics based on their agendas. Conservative outlets like Fox News do better because there are fewer of them fighting for half the national viewership, while CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, etc, have to fight for the other half. The same goes for print media as well, as there is more competition with liberal leaning than conservative leaning print media. Pretty simple.

The game isn't rigged, media businesses need to align themselves where there's less competition, or provide value that the others don't.

For the record, this dumb fuck isn't going to convince people to buy the news. Surviving on subscription revenue has been a dying trend for a couple decades. It's all about advertisement revenue. Don't get me wrong, circulation is important, but the circulation revenue shouldn't be.
  • Fenderbender123
    Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Yes
    What about when Obama talks about black lives matter, should the media call him out as being a racist?
    Again, I'd prefer they didn't.
  • 2001400ex
    Options

The point being, like cable, the media has segmented itself into specific demographics based on their agendas. Conservative outlets like Fox News do better because there are fewer of them fighting for half the national viewership, while CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, etc, have to fight for the other half. The same goes for print media as well, as there is more competition with liberal leaning than conservative leaning print media. Pretty simple.

The game isn't rigged, media businesses need to align themselves where there's less competition, or provide value that the others don't.

For the record, this dumb fuck isn't going to convince people to buy the news. Surviving on subscription revenue has been a dying trend for a couple decades. It's all about advertisement revenue. Don't get me wrong, circulation is important, but the circulation revenue shouldn't be.

It's not "Fox is conservative and the rest of the media outlets are liberal." And there's print media, etc. The media is like the public, about 35% conservative, 35% liberal and 30% in the middle. I do chuckle at simple minded people that listen to Fox, rush, etc. And believe they are fair and balanced and all other media is liberal.

The reality is, media on both sides chase the shiny object. They go after whatever they think sells and gets people's attention. Not what reality is.
  • greenblood
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2001400ex said:

It's not "Fox is conservative and the rest of the media outlets are liberal." And there's print media, etc. The media is like the public, about 35% conservative, 35% liberal and 30% in the middle. I do chuckle at simple minded people that listen to Fox, rush, etc. And believe they are fair and balanced and all other media is liberal.

The reality is, media on both sides chase the shiny object. They go after whatever they think sells and gets people's attention. Not what reality is.
    Don't know if this was intended for me, but if so, did I say Fox was was fair and balanced?

ABC and CBS slant left.

CNN and MSNBC have fallen off the liberal cliff

Fox News fell off the conservative cliff the moment it was created.

Fox News has less competition for their viewing audience. Which is why they get 2-3 times the viewership. It isn't that hard.

• dhdawg
    dhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Options

2001400ex said:

Don't know if this was intended for me, but if so, did I say Fox was was fair and balanced?

ABC and CBS slant left.

Fox News has less competition for their viewing audience. Which is why they get 2-3 times the viewership. It isn't that hard.

CNN has fallen off the liberal cliff? That's funny.
    Also this myth of msnbc being a liberal network. It's a democratic partisan network. Is morning Joe liberal? Mark Halperin? Michael Steele? Fuck even Chris Matthews was bashing bernie sanders during the primary.
  • dhdawg
    dhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Options
    The problem with the media isn't that they are liberal. It's they are establishment. A lot of the conspiring and the leaking of questions was done during the PRIMARY to hurt the liberal candidate bernie sanders and help the establishment candidate hillary clinton.
  • 2001400ex
    Options

2001400ex said:

ABC and CBS slant left.

No, Fox news doesn't have 2-3 times the viewership cause they have less competition. If that were true, and it were true that CNN and the rest are liberal, then Fox would have like 10 times the viewership. (MSNBC is liberal and they promote that).

As I said, there's was more media sources than just TV. (Tho I do chuckle when Fox rails on the liberal media as if they aren't the media). Liberals on average get their news from reading. Conservatives on average get their news from TV. Just like conservatives typically get more riled up over news than liberals. There are many studies that show people's behaviors and how they translate to politics. And politicians know this and tailor their message that way.
  • RaceBannon
    RaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,657 Swaye's Wigwam
    Options
    Hondo calling anyone simple is hilarious
  • 2001400ex
    Options
    dhdawg said:

The problem with the media isn't that they are liberal. It's they are establishment. A lot of the conspiring and the leaking of questions was done during the PRIMARY to hurt the liberal candidate bernie sanders and help the establishment candidate hillary clinton.

There's a lot of truth in that. Fox railed against Trump until they realized he won the nomination. Then they supported him through everything.
  • greenblood
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2001400ex said:

dhdawg said:

There's a lot of truth in that. Fox railed against Trump until they realized he won the nomination. Then they supported him through everything.
    Some did some didn't. Some of the pundits were definitely against him, even till the end. O'Reilly who I like, was pretty easy on him, Hannity who I despise was gurgling Trump from the beginning.

But yes, I'd say the media is more establishment than anything. A lot of it has to do with access.

And when I said Liberal I was grouping establishment in there, when there is definitely a difference in extremes.
  • greenblood
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

ABC and CBS slant left.

No, Fox news doesn't have 2-3 times the viewership cause they have less competition. If that were true, and it were true that CNN and the rest are liberal, then Fox would have like 10 times the viewership. (MSNBC is liberal and they promote that).

As I said, there's was more media sources than just TV. (Tho I do chuckle when Fox rails on the liberal media as if they aren't the media). Liberals on average get their news from reading. Conservatives on average get their news from TV. Just like conservatives typically get more riled up over news than liberals. There are many studies that show people's behaviors and how they translate to politics. And politicians know this and tailor their message that way.
    I don't think people really read the news anymore. People are so busy now, if you can't get your info in a couple minutes, you move on. Which basically has led us into a headline reading society. Most people only read the headlines, they don't have time for anything else.
  • dnc
    dnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

ABC and CBS slant left.

Conservative fake news sites and liberal fake news shows say differently.
  • 2001400ex
    Options

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

ABC and CBS slant left.

I don't think people really read the news anymore. People are so busy now, if you can't get your info in a couple minutes, you move on. Which basically has led us into a headline reading society. Most people only read the headlines, they don't have time for anything else.
    There's a lot of truth in that too. Headline and the first paragraph. Maybe. Hence the mantra on here "did you just read the headline."

A great example of that is the bill Gates/Trump meeting. The headlines from conservative sites are vastly different than the headlines from liberal sites.