Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Remembering the Whammy

Comments

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

That was Jammi German. He was a freak WR for Miami. If you remember that hit, Dick Vermiel called him "Ewaliki". That hit turned game. More impressive was the block
    Kaufman laid on that dude on Richard Thomas long run. The real husky fan knows what pup is talking about. Most of you ding dongs were playing with your beanie babies when Kaufman outran everyone to make that block.

Pretty sure that real Husky fans remember Richard Thomas' run was actually a screen pass.
    Uh it was a long run. I think he ran 75 yards. Watching the game via Youtube shorts is hardly watching the game Nacho. When your dumbass turns to semantics, Pup has already won
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    We went 7-4 that year. Who gives a fuck if we beat some stupid fucking team?

I never got why it was such a big deal. It was just one fucking dumb OOC game that meant nothing, both because we couldn't go to a bowl and we'd already lost to USC.

It's not like a fucking national championship or something. It's just some game where we beat a good team on the road.

Doogs love that win, though. They pointed to it for years with Lambo.

I never got why it was such a big deal. It was just one fucking dumb OOC game that meant nothing, both because we couldn't go to a bowl and we'd already lost to USC.

It's not like a fucking national championship or something. It's just some game where we beat a good team on the road.

not your best effort
    Seriously, what was the big deal? It was a good road win in a meaningless season against a good team. Then that same team crapped the bed and went 7-4.

I honestly have never understood why it was such a BFD. It always struck me as the kind of thing that Wake Forest fans would get pumped up about.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,244 Founders Club
    Yes Lambo shit the bed with the 7-4 record, but that's beside the point.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,491 Founders Club
    edited December 2016

Pretty sure we(?) were 17 point dogs in that game. I was 9. If my memory serves correctly, Miami was ranked number one in the country. They were still Miami back then.

I remember asking my Dad if it was possible our Huskies could win that Crisp Saturday morn so many years ago. He didn't hesitate: well, yeah, its possible....anything can happen in college football.

The Dawgs were down 14-6 at half. im not sure how many of us deep down thought we'd be on the winning end after all of this was said and done. Certainly even the most optimistic homer could not predict what happened in the 2nd half. Total fucking beat down. in the end it ranks up there with one of the most memorable wins in program history. Ending their home win streak, Laughing at that Tombstone with Washington's name on it.

This game vs Bama takes me back to 1994.... ~17 point dogs. Number one team in the country. No one giving us(?) a chance. Do we have a shot, you ask? ....

Anything can happen in college football.

listen Sonny, Dennis Erickson was the head coach. Understand? And no they were not #1. Did you, at 9 years old, remember who Miami's QB was? That was the year the heisman trophy became irrelevant for your records. The combo of Tortellini and Erickson lost that game. Miami was out of shape...we werent.

Saban is coaching Alabama and they are not out of shape . So no, "anything can happen in college football" doesnt really apply. If Saban was coaching Miami then, we would have lost by 3 touchdowns. They were so fast. They just cramped up every other down and we took advantage. Kaufman only gained I think 88 yds on the ground, but was one of his best games. He was awesome, so was Bruener (his best game).
    I'm pretty sure Frank Costa was the quarterback.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,491 Founders Club

not your best effort
    Seriously, what was the big deal? It was a good road win in a meaningless season against a good team. Then that same team crapped the bed and went 7-4.

I honestly have never understood why it was such a BFD. It always struck me as the kind of thing that Wake Forest fans would get pumped up about.
    Season was a dud. That individual game was a big deal. They were Miami back then. They sort of played for the NC against Nebraska. That was a top five team.

not your best effort

If you were 22 years old right now I could understand your attitude on it. But you have to remember back to that time. It was a couple years after tying Miami for the national championship and the first time we had ever squared off. And to not only beat them into submission but snap their record winning streak, was an amazing thing to witness.
    Maybe I just expected to win?

I always thought we were better than Miami in '91 and '92 (until the BJH thing hit, obviously), so I guess I thought they were overrated.

It was fun to beat them for sure. I watched the game at a bar in SEA. But in terms of being an 'all time win' it really rings hollow. It's just a W in the middle of a turd season.

To me, making such a big deal out of it always felt like a weird inferiority complex. I could understand if it were for a NC and we were playing them in the Orange Bowl or something.

Just never struck me as a big deal.
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,463
    It's okay to appreciate a single game performance, doesn't mean you have the same feelings for the overall season.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,087 Swaye's Wigwam

That was Jammi German. He was a freak WR for Miami. If you remember that hit, Dick Vermiel called him "Ewaliki". That hit turned game. More impressive was the block
    Kaufman laid on that dude on Richard Thomas long run. The real husky fan knows what pup is talking about. Most of you ding dongs were playing with your beanie babies when Kaufman outran everyone to make that block.

Pretty sure that real Husky fans remember Richard Thomas' run was actually a screen pass.
    Uh it was a long run. I think he ran 75 yards. Watching the game via Youtube shorts is hardly watching the game Nacho. When your dumbass turns to semantics, Pup has already won
    Right out of halftime. 2nd down, from the 25. Swing pass to the left side to Thomas. Kaufman has a peel back block on about the 34 yard line. Going the exact opposite direction of Thomas going full speed. Then turned around and run down and caught up with the play and threw a totally unnecessary block on about the 5 yards line.

And DJ, Russell Hairston got beat down the right side before half and the WR dropped the ball. Very next play did it to him on the left side, and caught it.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,698 Swaye's Wigwam
    AEB said:

That was move in day at McMahon 1994. The TVs in the common area were watched by 100s. Totally awesome day to move in.

What floor were you on? I was in the exact same place that day. Roommate and I talk about that memory to this day. Basically plugged the TV in just in time to watch that game before playing some FIFA and NHL on the Sega Genesis.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,244 Founders Club
    Alexis said:

Right out of halftime. 2nd down, from the 25. Swing pass to the left side to Thomas. Kaufman has a peel back block on about the 34 yard line. Going the exact opposite direction of Thomas going full speed. Then turned around and run down and caught up with the play and threw a totally unnecessary block on about the 5 yards line.

And DJ, Russell Hairston got beat down the right side before half and the WR dropped the ball. Very next play did it to him on the left side, and caught it.
    That's right, I forgot about that. It was them going deep back to back and getting burned that had us pissed off.
    edited December 2016
    Full game is on YouTube for those who are interested. Don't sue me gAyBC
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,314 Swaye's Wigwam

I remember asking my Dad

Only one?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,852 Standard Supporter
    I was tending bar at a wedding, sneaking updates from the Salvadorans' radio in the kitchen. Pony-tailed groom cried because the DJ fucked up and didn't play his favorite Elton John song at the right time. Bride was hotter than shit, drunk as fuck and didn't give two shits about the music. Marriage lasted 6 mos, at best.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    There was a sense of healing for dawg fans.

It was tumultuous losing Don James , the dominance had faded. The PAC brought out the firing squad. Limited scholarships.

The media was talking about the Miami Florida state that was still two weeks away. They immediately said the UW game would be a blow out. Didn't even talk about the game.

It was that taste the uw fans needed at the time.

There was mystique with the orrange bowl. It was an intimate ass kicking.

Dawgs trailed 14-3 at half. Things were bleak.

The way the second half unfolded was incredible.

Kaufman didnt have the yards maybe 80 yards but he was savage. I believe it may have been ed Reed but on a 6 yard run he knocked out the safety for moment. The dude crumpled.

Lots of emotion that day.