Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Remembering the Whammy

Pretty sure we(?) were 17 point dogs in that game. I was 9. If my memory serves correctly, Miami was ranked number one in the country. They were still Miami back then.

I remember asking my Dad if it was possible our Huskies could win that Crisp Saturday morn so many years ago. He didn't hesitate: well, yeah, its possible....anything can happen in college football.

The Dawgs were down 14-6 at half. im not sure how many of us deep down thought we'd be on the winning end after all of this was said and done. Certainly even the most optimistic homer could not predict what happened in the 2nd half. Total fucking beat down. in the end it ranks up there with one of the most memorable wins in program history. Ending their home win streak, Laughing at that Tombstone with Washington's name on it.

This game vs Bama takes me back to 1994.... ~17 point dogs. Number one team in the country. No one giving us(?) a chance. Do we have a shot, you ask? ....

Anything can happen in college football.

Comments

• Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I still remember all of the Miami players taken off the field after being hit by all of those Don James recruits.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Baphomet said:

I still remember all of the Miami players taken off the field after being hit by all of those Don James recruits.

Mike Ewaliko, the pride of Burien, laid out a small Miami receiver with a vicious looking hit.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Was that the game where we got the ball in the second half (had the opening kickoff too) cause the dude for Miami chose the direction they wanted to play with their option?
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    AEB said:

That was move in day at McMahon 1994. The TVs in the common area were watched by 100s. Totally awesome day to move in.

McMahon hall is/was a shitty fucking dorm hall...
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

My Grandma had become widowed a couple years prior and sold the house and moved into an apartment in Longview. Dad and I went down there to visit.

As I remember, the Huskies were down 7-6 with about 40 seconds left in the first half, when Russell Hairston got beat for a Hail Mary TD. So we're down 14-6. I'm feeling discouraged, and I look over at my dad and he's slumped over and just devastated.

Huskies then score 3 TDs in the first few minutes of the third quarter, and every time something great happens, Dad and I leaped up from the couch hollering, and my Grandma keeps pleading with us to be quiet and not disrupt the neighbors.

I remember interviewing Jim Lambright about that day and he said at one point there was a timeout.... He gathered his players and pointed out to the field. Three different Hurricane players were on the ground being tended to by medical staff.

Why did you not invite your other dad?
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

AEB said:

That was move in day at McMahon 1994. The TVs in the common area were watched by 100s. Totally awesome day to move in.

WGAF? The dorm doesn't make the man.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    AEB said:

AEB said:

WGAF? The dorm doesn't make the man.

I commend you for being able to stay in that shit hole for an entire year.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Miami wasn't ranked #1, I think they were about #5.

Yeah but still
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Pretty sure we(?) were 17 point dogs in that game. I was 9. If my memory serves correctly, Miami was ranked number one in the country. They were still Miami back then.

I remember asking my Dad if it was possible our Huskies could win that Crisp Saturday morn so many years ago. He didn't hesitate: well, yeah, its possible....anything can happen in college football.

The Dawgs were down 14-6 at half. im not sure how many of us deep down thought we'd be on the winning end after all of this was said and done. Certainly even the most optimistic homer could not predict what happened in the 2nd half. Total fucking beat down. in the end it ranks up there with one of the most memorable wins in program history. Ending their home win streak, Laughing at that Tombstone with Washington's name on it.

This game vs Bama takes me back to 1994.... ~17 point dogs. Number one team in the country. No one giving us(?) a chance. Do we have a shot, you ask? ....

Anything can happen in college football.

listen Sonny, Dennis Erickson was the head coach. Understand? And no they were not #1. Did you, at 9 years old, remember who Miami's QB was? That was the year the heisman trophy became irrelevant for your records. The combo of Tortellini and Erickson lost that game. Miami was out of shape...we werent.

Saban is coaching Alabama and they are not out of shape . So no, "anything can happen in college football" doesnt really apply. If Saban was coaching Miami then, we would have lost by 3 touchdowns. They were so fast. They just cramped up every other down and we took advantage. Kaufman only gained I think 88 yds on the ground, but was one of his best games. He was awesome, so was Bruener (his best game).
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Baphomet said:

Mike Ewaliko, the pride of Burien, laid out a small Miami receiver with a vicious looking hit.
    To his credit the small reciever wasn't even looking.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Baphomet said:

To his credit the small reciever wasn't even looking.
    Agreed. That's why I called it a vicious looking hit.