Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For those interested in the history of Alabama Football

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I cannot recommend Allen Barra's bio of Bear Bryant, The Last Coach enough. Easily one of the best biographies and sports related books I've ever read...

I hope that recommending a non Marshall Stalin authored title does not result in the NKVD arresting me and shipping me off to the Siberian gulag.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

Bear Bryant kicked everyone's ass.
    Bama has been kicking everyone's ass for the better part of 70 years.

Fin.

Pretty accurate, but there were a few bad years in the late 60's culminating in the 1970 USC plungering of 'Bama in Birmingham, and they ended up desegregating the team finally in 1971.
    Every blue blood has down periods, but I don't think any other programs has had as few or had them as short a duration as Bama.

National Titles:

(1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015)

So yeah they sucked (and that is relative because there were probably MANY top 5 finishes in their "off" years) from the mid 40's to the late 50's, the 80's, and the late 90's to the mid 2000's. 16 NC's covering 8 of the last 10 decades. Best sustained success there is, and it isn't close (USC, ND, Oklahomo, and everyone else included).
  • Options
    CcTiderCcTider Member Posts: 24
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm still pissed about the 41 claim. One of my uncles tries to say out makes up for times we were screwed, like 66. But I don't agree. 41 gives the other questionable ones a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    Crimsonite1Crimsonite1 Member Posts: 98
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

Fin.

Pretty accurate, but there were a few bad years in the late 60's culminating in the 1970 USC plungering of 'Bama in Birmingham, and they ended up desegregating the team finally in 1971.
    Actually Bama had a black player on the team in that game. He just didn't get to play. But then that wouldn't make for a charismatic BS story about Sam Bam Cunningham desegregating Bryants team, would it?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    CcTider said:

Gladstone said:

My favorite is 1973 when they lost to an undefeated Notre Dame team in the Sugar Bowl and still claim the national championship.

We don't claim anything. They gave it to us before the bowls. That's how they did it back then. We were also fucked out of several outer titles.

If you want to talk shit about bogus titles, then the answer is 1941. That was complete bullshit. The rest are legit by the rules at the time. They've since been changed, which most agree is a good thing. But if you want to take a few away from us, fuck it, go for it. We've got plenty to spare.
    UW has its share of shady MNC claims as well.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TTJ said:

CcTider said:

Gladstone said:

My favorite is 1973 when they lost to an undefeated Notre Dame team in the Sugar Bowl and still claim the national championship.

We don't claim anything. They gave it to us before the bowls. That's how they did it back then. We were also fucked out of several outer titles.

If you want to talk shit about bogus titles, then the answer is 1941. That was complete bullshit. The rest are legit by the rules at the time. They've since been changed, which most agree is a good thing. But if you want to take a few away from us, fuck it, go for it. We've got plenty to spare.
    Nothing shady about '84. Hope that helps.

/boobstriggerwarning
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

TTJ said:

CcTider said:

Gladstone said:

Nothing shady about '84. Hope that helps.

/boobstriggerwarning
    Win your conference.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Swaye said:

Fin.

Actually Bama had a black player on the team in that game. He just didn't get to play. But then that wouldn't make for a charismatic BS story about Sam Bam Cunningham desegregating Bryants team, would it?
    @Crimsonite1,

Is that the proverbial, "but I've got a black friend!1!!1" southern defense?

Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    Crimsonite1Crimsonite1 Member Posts: 98
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Maybe. Actually he turned out to be a pretty good player. But he was a freshman and freshmen didn't play then.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Bear Bryant was a fag

And your mother swallows and takes it up the ass, which is why I'm keeping her around a little longer.
    Wow....that is really mean spirited.