Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A few football thoughts.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited December 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Just took a look at pac-12 statistics: pac-12.com/content/football-statistics (I know, statistics lie).

Washington and colorado are basically 1st and 2nd in nearly every defensive category, except 1: Rushing defense. Washington is ranked 1st and colorado is ranked 5th. Will Washington have the discipline to stick with the run? colorado will surely do what most teams have done - load the box to stop Gaskin and Coleman, and force Jake to beat them. Most of the time (sans usc) Jake has been able to do so.

Speaking of that, another interesting number: colorado's defense brings extra pressure on the QB over 40% of the time.
In contrast, Washington does so only 16% of the time.

colorado has a lot of faith in their CBs (which are good), so they run a high-risk high-reward defense. Pressure the QB and put your CBs 1-on-1 on opposing WRs.

So, Jake will have to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball - FAST. It also could create mismatch opportunities for Washington's 3rd and 4th receivers. If Ross and Pettis are drawing the attention of colorado's star CBs, McClatcher, Fuller and the TEs could have one-on-one mismatch opportunities against safeties and LBs.

Bottom line (at least my read) is that Jonathan Smith must stay committed to the run to keep colorado honest (please God), Washington must have designed plays for its 3rd and 4th WRs (simply relying on Ross and Pettis is not enough), and our OL must do a better job of blocking than they did against usc because colorado will bring heat.

I yield the floor.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I strongly agree with Tequila on this.

That's pretty much my takeaway as well ...

The only game I saw from Colorado where they didn't really put pressure on the short to intermediate routes was USC because they were afraid of the speed killing them over the top. How much they worry about our speed will be one thing I'm watching early because while they may worry about our speed, I'm not sure they will worry about Jake's arm.

You can run the ball on them as their front 7 is fundamentally sound but lacks overall athletic talent ... it's the reason why they are constantly bringing pressure because they want to be in a position to dictate the action to shorten the play. Unlike us, they don't have the ability to sit back, contain, and then attack mistakes.

This is a game where Chico could be huge for us in a number of different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if he lines up in the backfield a few times trying to get him in coverage versus LBs. The Cougs ran a go route with Morrow coming out of the backfield right down the middle of the field against a LB and it was an easy TD. A play like that COULD be there for us as well.

It's important for us to get up in this game early because Colorado's going to have a hard time moving the ball consistently against us from what I've seen. IF we can get Sefo into positions where he feels like he has to press, the game could be blown open rather easily.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,105
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

The only game I saw from Colorado where they didn't really put pressure on the short to intermediate routes was USC because they were afraid of the speed killing them over the top. How much they worry about our speed will be one thing I'm watching early because while they may worry about our speed, I'm not sure they will worry about Jake's arm.

You can run the ball on them as their front 7 is fundamentally sound but lacks overall athletic talent ... it's the reason why they are constantly bringing pressure because they want to be in a position to dictate the action to shorten the play. Unlike us, they don't have the ability to sit back, contain, and then attack mistakes.

This is a game where Chico could be huge for us in a number of different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if he lines up in the backfield a few times trying to get him in coverage versus LBs. The Cougs ran a go route with Morrow coming out of the backfield right down the middle of the field against a LB and it was an easy TD. A play like that COULD be there for us as well.

It's important for us to get up in this game early because Colorado's going to have a hard time moving the ball consistently against us from what I've seen. IF we can get Sefo into positions where he feels like he has to press, the game could be blown open rather easily.
    but if we consistently drop 7 and rush 4, it could play right into Colorado's hands
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

but if we consistently drop 7 and rush 4, it could play right into Colorado's hands
    Actually completely disagree ...

Sefo is not a technically gifted passer ... he's ok with the intermediate and short stuff. A lot of what they do comes back to some RPO's and getting the ball out of their WRs with numbers. The WR screen game in those instances typically don't work well against us.

The biggest thing that I've seen in their passing game that is making me feel very bullish on this game is that their WRs really don't do a good job of extending plays and giving Sefo options when the original routes break down. That combined with Sefo having very, very poor footwork tells me that there could be some opportunities for us to create turnovers.

Our defense is largely predicated on not only stopping the run, but forcing teams to throw the ball short where we tackle immediately. You can't win football games when your only offense is throwing short because eventually we squeeze those routes away as well (ask the Coug).

Where rushing 4 and dropping 7 becomes more of an issue is when you're playing a QB that is as talented as guy like Deshaun Watson who will eventually pick you apart or a mobile QB like JT Barrett or Jalen Hurts where if you lose contain with your 4 man rush and allow them to get out and run they can compromise your defense. Sefo doesn't have the arm/accuracy of a Watson and he's nowhere close to the runner that Barrett or Hurts is.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,105
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Sefo is not a technically gifted passer ... he's ok with the intermediate and short stuff. A lot of what they do comes back to some RPO's and getting the ball out of their WRs with numbers. The WR screen game in those instances typically don't work well against us.

The biggest thing that I've seen in their passing game that is making me feel very bullish on this game is that their WRs really don't do a good job of extending plays and giving Sefo options when the original routes break down. That combined with Sefo having very, very poor footwork tells me that there could be some opportunities for us to create turnovers.

Our defense is largely predicated on not only stopping the run, but forcing teams to throw the ball short where we tackle immediately. You can't win football games when your only offense is throwing short because eventually we squeeze those routes away as well (ask the Coug).

Where rushing 4 and dropping 7 becomes more of an issue is when you're playing a QB that is as talented as guy like Deshaun Watson who will eventually pick you apart or a mobile QB like JT Barrett or Jalen Hurts where if you lose contain with your 4 man rush and allow them to get out and run they can compromise your defense. Sefo doesn't have the arm/accuracy of a Watson and he's nowhere close to the runner that Barrett or Hurts is.
    I get what you're saying, but the intermediate and short stuff is exactly how USC moved the ball on us, when we were reticent to bring extra pressure against Darnold.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I'm convinced that if we had really gone after Darnold then UW wins that game at home.

Defense did its part.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I get what you're saying, but the intermediate and short stuff is exactly how USC moved the ball on us, when we were reticent to bring extra pressure against Darnold.
    USC beat us in the intermediate pass areas and downfield between the hash marks.
    Even then, that game was lost by the gameplan, not the defense
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I'm convinced that if we had really gone after Darnold then UW wins that game at home.

I don't know if we would have won the game. But I totally agree we should have blitzed early and often. Even WSU last week we didn't blitz enough. Against USC I felt it was stubbornness that we didn't blitz. As in we thought we could eventually get pressure. Last week I felt it was because we were winning badly so didn't want to tip our hands to Colorado that we were going to blitz.

But..... We needed to do way more on offense against USC to win. The running east to west stuff was bullshit. We should have just run up the middle all game.

And Jake needs to recognize the man to man coverage earlier and throw the ball while Ross and Pettis are still in his range.
  • Options
    RingerRinger Member Posts: 16
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment 5 Up Votes
    On paper, the Huskies should win this one. Speaking as a Buffs fan, the worst disparity between the teams is in the WA kick and punt return talent vs. the CO kick and punt teams. That being said, these Buffs have some talent, a ton of heart, lots of experience, great coaching, and sort of a "team of destiny" vibe. This will be a great game.
  • Options
    RingerRinger Member Posts: 16
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment 5 Up Votes

Ringer said:

On paper, the Huskies should win this one. Speaking as a Buffs fan, the worst disparity between the teams is in the WA kick and punt return talent vs. the CO kick and punt teams. That being said, these Buffs have some talent, a ton of heart, lots of experience, great coaching, and sort of a "team of destiny" vibe. This will be a great game.

Team of Destiny? Good Christ!
    Perhaps I went too far with that "team of destiny" hyperbole. But a team which recently went 2-25 in the PAC 12 over several years and is now poised (with a few minor breaks in tomorrow's game) to at least win the PAC 12 and go to the Rose Bowl has a certain, shall we say, [cue French accent] je ne sais quoi, oui?