Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Doogs ... turn away

TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,840 Swaye's Wigwam
... after re-watching the Stanford game, I am more convinced than ever that UW is going to get butt abused tomorrow.

When Stanford wanted to move the ball down the field, it did. UW's defense is not all that, yet. And we know how shitty the Huskies defend Oregon.

I love Price, but his receivers don't help him at critical times. And Sankey can't score eight TDs.

UW's special teams are a mess. Against Oregon, that's probably all the Ducks need to win.

The definition of insanity applies here to anyone who thinks Washington will win tomorrow.

And fuck you, I am not going to LIFPO.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    TheHB said:

... after re-watching the Stanford game, I am more convinced than ever that UW is going to get butt abused tomorrow.

When Stanford wanted to move the ball down the field, it did. UW's defense is not all that, yet. And we know how shitty the Huskies defend Oregon.

I love Price, but his receivers don't help him at critical times. And Sankey can't score eight TDs.

UW's special teams are a mess. Against Oregon, that's probably all the Ducks need to win.

The definition of insanity applies here to anyone who thinks Washington will win tomorrow.

Agree with the rest but totally disagree with this. "When they wanted to move the ball down field?" You can't honestly think they only wanted to move the ball on 3 out of 14 drives or whatever it was. Did they move it some? Sure. Will UO? Absolutely. But UW's defense shut down Stanford far more often than not, despite having terrible field position all game.

The defense may not yet be great but it's very good.

• TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,840 Swaye's Wigwam
    When Stanford was up by 10 with a little over 5 minutes to play, what did they do? They ran the ball three straight plays -- and almost got a fucking first down. If they had thrown the ball, they probably get the first down.

Stanford's play-calling changed every time UW got within 3 points vs. what they did when they were up by 10. It was a cat playing with a mouse.

Stanford was playing it extremely close to the vest. They knew UW would Sark all over themselves eventually. And that almost screwed them, which would have made Shaw look very Sark-like ... but in the end, Shaw is a better coach. Game over.

The defense is OK, but not as good as everyone seems to think. And that's certainly not going to fly against Oregon.

Admitting you have some pretty good players is one thing. Claiming UW has one of the best defenses in all of the land is another.

Just watch the game again. When Stanford wanted to go downfield, it had little trouble doing so. When it was more worried about running clock, it just ran the ball and didn't seem too concerned with getting first downs. Of course, a first down would have been nice and crisp, but until the last drive, Stanford wasn't in danger ... and of course, we know how that ended.
  • Stanford wanted to move the ball on their last drive up only 3. One first down they ice the game, if they go three and out they are putting their struggling defense back on the field again.

UW's defense stepped up, I get being negative but some of you guys are a bit over the top when it comes to this defense so far.
    Blind squirrel. Nuts.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Stanford wanted to move the ball on their last drive up only 3. One first down they ice the game, if they go three and out they are putting their struggling defense back on the field again.

UW's defense stepped up, I get being negative but some of you guys are a bit over the top when it comes to this defense so far.

Shaw got SteveSarkisianFuckingCuteAndStupid on that third and 1 call AND Hogan missed an easy cutback for the first down.
    TheHB said:

When Stanford was up by 10 with a little over 5 minutes to play, what did they do? They ran the ball three straight plays -- and almost got a fucking first down. If they had thrown the ball, they probably get the first down.

Stanford's play-calling changed every time UW got within 3 points vs. what they did when they were up by 10. It was a cat playing with a mouse.

Stanford was playing it extremely close to the vest. They knew UW would Sark all over themselves eventually. And that almost screwed them, which would have made Shaw look very Sark-like ... but in the end, Shaw is a better coach. Game over.

The defense is OK, but not as good as everyone seems to think. And that's certainly not going to fly against Oregon.

I like to say the team that went 12-20 for 100 yards through the air (and 29.9 QBR) wasn't throwing the ball because they didn't want to move the ball.

Stanford wasn't throwing because they couldn't throw.

hth

Stanford wanted to move the ball on their last drive up only 3. One first down they ice the game, if they go three and out they are putting their struggling defense back on the field again.

Shaw got SteveSarkisianFuckingCuteAndStupid on that third and 1 call AND Hogan missed an easy cutback for the first down.
    Agreed. But saying the Tree was stupid is different than saying they were just trying to grind clock. They wanted to move the ball, they were just too stupid to run it effectively and the UW pass defense was too good for them to throw it effectively.

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,383 Swaye's Wigwam
    ....when they wanted to move the ball down the field they did???? Who the fuck doesn't want to move the ball down the field on every possession??
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    HuskyJW said:

....when they wanted to move the ball down the field they did???? Who the fuck doesn't want to move the ball down the field on every possession??

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074
    TheHB said:

stoopid. I get the whole, "when that team is focused" shit. I get it. Sometimes teams play below their capability and, when they focus, take it up another level.

Stanford/UW wasn't that. If losing your #5 ranking doesn't get you focused during a game that was never out of either team's reach, then you aren't able to focus.

But, to at least help your point a little, it wasn't just UW's D. It was a combination of improvement on the D side of the ball PLUS Stanford's terribly predictable play calling. You know what's fucking coming all the time. Or at least you know it's going to be one of, at most, three things. How Washington does defending Oregon has little to do with how Washington did defending Stanford. Hell, they defended Stanford last year, albeit with Nunes, with a much shittier version of their D, and still got plungered by Oregon.

I think that's what you mean to write/??

And that is the problem with "smash mouth/old school" football everyone wants. you gotta have the horses to do it, because everyone knows what's coming. you have to be able to out-execute and out-athlete the other guy, which is fucking hard to do. Jimmy Johnson ran his offenses just like this. Awesome O lines with a solid running game and a sure handed, strong receiver and an accurate quarterback. You knew what Dallas was going to do, it just didn't matter because they did anyway. But even Jimmy used to say in interviews, "everyone wants to play this way. it's just that not everyone has the personnel to do it." that is the deal with Furd, and when their personnel aren't that much better than yours, you'll play with them.
    My poont was that Stanford was focused on running clock ... not scoring points ... when they led by 10. Scoring would have been a byproduct, but Shaw was very Sark-like in that he was trying to keep UW off the field. Watch the game again. If you honestly think UW was winning the line of scrimmage -- or whatever cliché you want to use to indicate which team was "in charge," then you need to DIAFF because you are inhaling oxygen the worthy among us can use.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

HuskyJW said:

Needs more Top-Pot doughnuts to take seriously.