Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wilner: Best Analyst of Pac 12 Football

BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
edited November 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
I did not move No. 7 Washington into the vacancy, however. Instead, Colorado jumped four positions, and over the Huskies, into the six hole after its victory over Washington State.

The Buffaloes have a better resume than UW at the moment:

They have played a tougher overall schedule.

Both teams have lost to USC, but CU’s defeat came in a close game in the Coliseum, wheras UW was beaten soundly at home by the Trojans.

CU’s other loss came in Ann Arbor, in a close game for three quarters, while Washington has no equivalent non-conference game: The Huskies played a string of cupcakes.

That contributes to Colorado’s significant edge in SOS.

Both teams have beaten Stanford. The Huskies did it handily at home; the Buffs in a close game on the road — slight edge to UW there.

BUT:

Based on Saturday’s results, Colorado’s best league win, over Washington State, trumps Washington’s best league win, at Utah.

The Utes’ home loss to Oregon de-values Washington’s win in Salt Lake City, which could have significant playoff consequences for the Huskies two weeks from now.

(Add the fact that Utah has also lost to Cal, and the Utes no longer qualify as a quality win for anyone.)
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/20/my-ap-top-25-football-ballot-no-changes-to-the-top-five-louisville-falls-colorado-jumps-washington-utah-and-west-virginia-vanish-and-more/

Comments

• CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

So what's go to happen to Wilner whenUW beats WSU and Utah beats Colorado? Will his head explode?

People who use transtive property to compare football teams needs to die in a fucking fire.

Or, at a minimum, UW drops the cuogs and curb stomps the Buffs?

He fades away until his next line of uninformed bullshit next season.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    If UW and Colorado both win we can see who is better on the field (novel concept) ...

I don't give 2 shits about Wilner's opinion through using BS logic ... just look at the teams and compare based on performance ...

It's why the CFP needs to go to 8 and move subjective judgement further down the line ... win your conference and you are in period no questions asked ... allow wild card entries to cover non P5 schools and deserving at larges ... reality is if you have 3+ losses you can't blame anybody but yourself ... 2 losses and you can't say that you are unquestionably deserving
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Meek said:

Just stop talking about Wilner. He moved Texas from unranked all the fucking way up to #2 when Texas beat Notre Dame at a neutral site after week 1. He watches no games outside Cal/Stanford so he has no idea what he's talking about. Doesn't consider injuries, dominance, nothing. He is un in formed dot com.

I had no idea he moved Texas up to #2. That is unforgiveable.
    Tequilla said:

If UW and Colorado both win we can see who is better on the field (novel concept) ...

I don't give 2 shits about Wilner's opinion through using BS logic ... just look at the teams and compare based on performance ...

It's why the CFP needs to go to 8 and move subjective judgement further down the line ... win your conference and you are in period no questions asked ... allow wild card entries to cover non P5 schools and deserving at larges ... reality is if you have 3+ losses you can't blame anybody but yourself ... 2 losses and you can't say that you are unquestionably deserving

I agree with this, but the maddening aspect of college football is also why it's fun.

8 would be better, but every game having extreme importance makes college football. Hindering that even a little bit could diminish the sport.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    whatever. Who cares. I think his logic is dumb, but if both teams are good enough it'll be decided on the field anyway in 2 weeks
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,337 Founders Club
    He has an axe to grind for some reason, but who cares.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Tequilla said:

I agree with this, but the maddening aspect of college football is also why it's fun.

8 would be better, but every game having extreme importance makes college football. Hindering that even a little bit could diminish the sport.
    You mean like the week were 2, 3, and 4 all lost and they still control their own playoff destiny? Or do you mean the Iron Bowl where Bama could lose and stay at #1?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    dhdawg said:

Washington State is not a quality win.

• AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840

Okay, I haven't given a shit about Wilner until now, but he needs to DIAFF for this dumb shit.

When will these fucks learn comparing scores is retarded? Teams are not the same week to week. See USC. Is it possible that USC has gotten better Wilner since beating Colorado?

Using his logic, I could say we are 33 points better than Colorado because we beat Stanford by 38 while Colorado only won by 5. We beat Oregon by 49, they beat Oregon by 3. Therefore, we are way better than Colorado.

He should just come out and say that he is either trolling Husky fans or just plain dumb.

Actually comparing scores is one of the best ways to understand relative strength of programs. The problem is that ALL of the scores of ALL games need to be compared. This is not something a guy can do in his head.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter
    Lipo. He could be right.

Stanford may be our only win where the team is still in the top 25 after this weekend. Good thing they have to play the games.
    edited November 2016

Tequilla said:

You mean like the week were 2, 3, and 4 all lost and they still control their own playoff destiny? Or do you mean the Iron Bowl where Bama could lose and stay at #1?
    I mean like Ohio State losing to Michigan State last year. Or Michigan - Ohio State this year. Fuck, you're annoying.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Colorado beats Utah and they will enter P12ch in top 10.

UW beats WSU and Top 10 Colorado, SOS is skewed right at the end. We will be in the Playoff.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Here's his Week 1 AP rationale:

blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2016/09/06/ap-top-25-football-ballot-6/

The first in-season ballot of 2016 is below. It plays off my preseason ballot, which was a projection of how everything will shake out, and makes adjustments based on results where applicable.

There have been several major changes, but the ballot cannot be wholly results-oriented because not every team played a meaningful opponent.

In those instances, preseason guesswork unfortunately remains. Ohio State and Michigan are two prominent examples: My sense is that both teams deserve placement near the top of the ballot, although Bowling Green and Hawaii hardly provided resistance.

It will be several weeks before we have enough quality games to compile a ballot that’s completely based on results. But because of the stellar opening weekend, we’re further along in the process than usual.

*** In my view, Alabama’s victory over USC was the most impressive win of the weekend. As a result, the Crimson Tide jumped into the No. 1 spot, replacing Ohio State (my pick to win the national title, and hence my preseason No. 1).

But that could very well be a temporary position for the Tide — it depends, to some extent, on USC’s performance. If the Trojans stumble again, it would devalue Alabama’s win and force a reassessment.

*** You’ll note that the top-eight teams on the ballot all played marquee opponents, not cupcakes. The rankings are based on my view of the quality of the individual win — Alabama over USC being the best, followed closely by Texas over Notre Dame.

(Yes, I gave serious consideration to putting the Longhorns in the top spot. To use my own example: You might think Ohio State is better than Texas, but there’s no way to argue that Ohio State has a better result than Texas.)

*** I went back and forth on Florida State and Clemson, finally settling on the Seminoles in the No. 3 spot. Admittedly, that’s a guess, because we don’t know which opponent, Ole Miss or Auburn, is better at this point.

*** The exception to the run of winners at the top of the ballot is Notre Dame, which lost in double OT at Texas but nonetheless deserves a lofty position — in my view, that was a high-quality game matching two very good teams.

Losing on the road in 2OT to a quality opponent is not grounds for removing the Irish from the top portion of the ballot, when only a handful of teams can claim victories over a quality opponent.