Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Shaw is a liar

2»

Comments

• Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,952
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2013
    Tailgater said:

Your_Mom said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HeH-cNIcDs

And pointing it out doesn't make anybody a doog.

Sark should have won that game, and the fake injuries aren't the reason he lost.

But that doesn't change the fact that Stanford has done it before, and it is poor sportsmanship.

In this clip, Stanford is called out by the announcers on national TV for doing it.

Shaw is a liar.

Fake injuries are traditional in college football going way back in my knowledge to the late 1940's. Mostly in the past, such tactic was used to stop the clock when a team is trying to score late in a game or before halftime and is out of or low on timeouts. Rules have been passed to prevent this and we don't see it much any more. One thing that helped with clock management and helped the fake injuries on offense go away was stopping the clock to more the sticks on first downs.

The most infamous example of faking injuries was in 1948 or 1949(?) when Notre Dame used it to beat a great Army team on a last minute drive and touchdown to end the game. The Irish were coached by the legendary Frank Leahy I believe. We didn't have TV in Boise yet, but ND games were broadcast nationally every Saturday and I as an 8 or 9 year old at the time always listened to the play-by-play. I was 8 or 9 years old and as I recall, an Irish player probably a lineman would fake injury on just about every down and stay down until carried off the field while the ND offense huddled and got ready in position on the line to snap the ball when the clock started. The injured Irish players would each stay on the sideline for one or two plays before coming back in to be injured and carried off again. The tactic worked for a score and a major ND win over Army and I haven't had an ounce of respect for Irish football since. I still remember the disgust I had listening to that game even though I was very young and just getting interested in football.

What Stanford is doing is obviously different and done for a different reason than in the past and I suspect other teams will do the same or are doing it now. Rules will have to be changed to either slow the hurry-up offenses down or prevent the fake injuries by not allowing the injured players to return to the field until say...... after the ball changes possession. It's unfortunate, but football coaches will do just about anything to win if they are allowed to and if you don't believe that, just think about the much bigger problem football at all levels is now having with spearing and the resulting injuries. A lot of that dirty play doesn't happen unless it's coached or allowed by coaches at all levels, even in pee-wee ball.

agreed tailgater.

Recent examples include Belich(c)k/the Patriots, the Jets, and the head hunting Saints ( they weren't trying to get a direct competitive advantage but we're trying to knock people out of the game).

Then you have the SI Okie State article that everyone seems to be ignoring ( more of an off the field competitive advantage).

Add to that most of the rest of college football...

Most of these coaches will try to get away with whatever they can... I don't know if Shaw & Hart told them to do it, but they definitely turned the other way.
  • Options
    Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic
    priapism said:
    One would think that a player and coach from a team of Stanford's calibre wouldn't forget which knee his fake injury was on.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Your_Mom said:

priapism said:

Shaw finally ends this debate about whether or not Skov had injury:
    L

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Stanford-coach-clarifies-Shayne-Skov-s-knee-injury-4882418.php

One would think that a player and coach from a team of Stanford's calibre wouldn't forget which knee his fake injury was on.
    Is this worse than having a fake girlfriend die?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Shaw is a fine, upstanding, completely honest citizen whose words you should implicitly trust.