Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Need to find a pass rush next week

For the first time all year, UW will be going against a QB who is not a complete retard when it comes to throwing the ball. Same can be said for Darnold and Falk. As good as our secondary is, those guys will pick us apart in the mid-range game if we let them have 7-seconds to throw the ball because we're rushing 2 guys.

Comments

• Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    - Cal's OLine will help give us a pass rush.
    - Cal has not faced a secondary like ours.
    - Cal has not faced a run game like ours.
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    edited October 2016

- Cal's OLine will help give us a pass rush.
    - Cal has not faced a secondary like ours.
    - Cal has not faced a run game like ours.

Disagree on last 2. They just played SC.
    You can make an argument for 3, with Utah, USC, San Diego State, but I still think our run game is better.

USC's secondary better than UW?
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Yea Cals OLine is garbage compared to Utahs who's held our line the entire time.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    The pass rush this year has been better than usual. There really wasn't a pass rush since about the 2000 season up until lately at all, so what the fuck are you bitching about?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Gladstone said:

No more 3 man front bullshit.

I'd be surprised if we see much else.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,305
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I've wondered whether we change our pass rushing strategy depending on the QB.

Against Stanford, QB was a statue so go knock him down.

Against Oregon and Utah, QB was more dangerous running than throwing, so don't break contain and then try to sack him.

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,454
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Hansen is back you might have a game on your hands. They never reached the red zone on us but scored with the long ball.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,585
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    89ute said:

If Hansen is back you might have a game on your hands. They never reached the red zone on us but scored with the long ball.

Our secondary is a bit more stout than yours. Id be surprised if they do that.

What is more likely is Cal gets unlimited 10 yard gains on slants and curls.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    cal's defense can't stop anyone. don't need a huge passrush. Get mathis back and disrupt just enough, UW should be able to escape with a 41-27 win or something
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    dhdawg said:

cal's defense can't stop anyone. don't need a huge passrush. Get mathis back and disrupt just enough, UW should be able to escape with a 41-27 win or something

I think you just contradicted yourself. You say UW doesn't need an improved pass rush, but then you state the need to get Mathis back. Get him back and the pass rush gets markedly better.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    I was actually surprised by the Cal OL's pass protection against USC last week. USC has better talent across the bored, but Webb was rarely hit or hurried. Maybe he just has better pocket presence than Goff did, I dunno.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,947
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

For the first time all year, UW will be going against a QB who is not a complete retard when it comes to throwing the ball. Same can be said for Darnold and Falk. As good as our secondary is, those guys will pick us apart in the mid-range game if we let them have 7-seconds to throw the ball because we're rushing 2 guys.

2 guys getting held, tackled or clipped.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Passion said:

dhdawg said:

I think you just contradicted yourself. You say UW doesn't need an improved pass rush, but then you state the need to get Mathis back. Get him back and the pass rush gets markedly better.
    that's not what I said. Don't need a huge pass rush, but it needs to be better than no passrush, which is what UW had this week
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    I don't see why you assholes are so touchy about my comment and buried my post. The pass rush has been lousy since Neuheisel started the practice of recruiting based on last name. If it was a name like Falahalawallawalla from Papua New Guinea you were on scholarship. But the fact is what is needed are big fucking mean black guys. Until you do that the pass rush is still going to be disappointing. But, this year has been better than usual. For years that has been utterly stagnant!!!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,798
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

I don't see why you assholes are so touchy about my comment and buried my post. The pass rush has been lousy since Neuheisel started the practice of recruiting based on last name. If it was a name like Falahalawallawalla from Papua New Guinea you were on scholarship. But the fact is what is needed are big fucking mean black guys. Until you do that the pass rush is still going to be disappointing. But, this year has been better than usual. For years that has been utterly stagnant!!!

Levi says hi!
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,556
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You mean it's difficult to get pressure on a real OL without sending linebackers?