Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Does Dabo Swinney get on anyone else's nerves?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

He has won he Atlantic division 4 times (going for his 5th) and the ACC 2 times (going for 3rd) since 2009. That is extremely consistent and that isn't just luck.

This board confuses me. It seems like unless you are Saban and win national championships every year you aren't a good coach. What Bama is doing is out of this world and won't be replicated by anyone else until Saban leaves.

To me a good coach has his team in the hunt for the division title every year, win the conference at least every couple of them, and occasionally when the stars align have a legit shot at a natty. Dabo has done exactly that.

98% of college football programs would kill to have the kind of success Clemson has been having since he arrived.

This board confuses me. It seems like unless you are Saban and win national championships every year you aren't a good coach

Doesn't sound like you're confused
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The defense is insane... they've replaced 7 guys the past two years and still have like 5 NFL linemen.

Deshaun has been amazing, but I think you're underestimating the cultural change that's taken place.

Clemson won't 'go back to being Clemson' when Deshaun leaves any more than UW will 'go back to being UW after Browning leaves.'

I pay close attention to Clemson and their talent level is really high and their D plays well.

Without question the team isn't Bama who can just totally reload after a kid like Deshaun leaves. But to act like they are going to lose the confidence it takes to make plays in critical situations? That's goofy.

We will see. I remember UW fans saying the same about Stanford and Luck. It was bullshit for a long time.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Watson is a great QB, but clemson is far more than him.
    he doesn't carry them by any means
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

The defense is insane... they've replaced 7 guys the past two years and still have like 5 NFL linemen.

Deshaun has been amazing, but I think you're underestimating the cultural change that's taken place.

Clemson won't 'go back to being Clemson' when Deshaun leaves any more than UW will 'go back to being UW after Browning leaves.'

I pay close attention to Clemson and their talent level is really high and their D plays well.

Without question the team isn't Bama who can just totally reload after a kid like Deshaun leaves. But to act like they are going to lose the confidence it takes to make plays in critical situations? That's goofy.

We will see. I remember UW fans saying the same about Stanford and Luck. It was bullshit for a long time.
    Stanford benefited from the same shit Pac-12 that Washington is enjoying now.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Stanford lost 2 games Luck's last year.

They lost 2 games the first year without Luck.

It took 5 years before Stanford "went back to being Stanford" without Luck.

If that's what you're claiming Clemson will do without DeShaun, then maybe. It sounded like you were forecasting a much quicker and deeper dropoff.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

He has won he Atlantic division 4 times (going for his 5th) and the ACC 2 times (going for 3rd) since 2009. That is extremely consistent and that isn't just luck.

This board confuses me. It seems like unless you are Saban and win national championships every year you aren't a good coach. What Bama is doing is out of this world and won't be replicated by anyone else until Saban leaves.

To me a good coach has his team in the hunt for the division title every year, win the conference at least every couple of them, and occasionally when the stars align have a legit shot at a natty. Dabo has done exactly that.

98% of college football programs would kill to have the kind of success Clemson has been having since he arrived.

This should be stickied.

100% YES.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Stanford lost 2 games Luck's last year.

They lost 2 games the first year without Luck.

It took 5 years before Stanford "went back to being Stanford" without Luck.

If that's what you're claiming Clemson will do without DeShaun, then maybe. It sounded like you were forecasting a much quicker and deeper dropoff.
    I was really trying to say we'll find out. I think they will have a fairly steep drop, but Stanford was an example to show that you never really know.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Clemson is very good, but I do have a feeling they'll return to playing second fiddle behind FSU once Watson is gone. still a top 10 team but no longer a title contender