Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

When is 284 yards of total offense surrendered NOT that impressive

MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
edited October 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
When you forget to look at how the special teams handed the offense superior field position.

Now, I do agree the defense is much improved. But lets look at how special teams may be masking any issues (especially DL).

Stanford

291 total return yards
- 99 on the opening kickoff
--------------------------
192 return yards affecting offensive field postion

UW
51 Total return yards (NOT A TYPO)

192 (SU)
- 51 (UW)
---------

141 yards Stanford gained over UW in field position due to superior special teams.

If we play devil's advocate and add this to their offensive total, here is the adjusted net offensive production with the field position advantage gained by Stanford.

+ 141
-------------
425 yards adjusted for UW's comparable field position

What's the point?

Don't blame Gaffney, Hogan or the Stanford offense for their low yardage production when they were handed the ball deep in UW territory for 5 possessions.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Serious pressing
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Stanford's offense only started two drives in UW territory:
    http://www.gohuskies.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30200&CONTENT_ID=819167 (not citrus)

They failed to get a first down on the first drive and scored rather easily on the second.

Overall, Stanford's offense was mediocre...but those two TD drives on either side of the halftime break were enough. Stanford was only 4 of 14 on third down.

NOTE: I couldn't help but facepalm when I went to UW's football page and saw this quote from Sark:

"Be relentless in your pursuit to gain a competitive edge."

FUCK
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    It's thanks for reading and I still don't see your point.

how many 3 and outs did the D cause? How many punts for Stanford?
    Hogan threw 20 passes for 100 yards.

The Tree went 4-14 on third downs and 0-1 on fourth down.

They started 12 possessions in their own territory (not counting the kneel down possession at the end) and scored 17 points on those possessions.

I'm all for contextualization, but UW's defensive effort was just as good as it looked.
    DeepSeaZ said:

It's thanks for reading and I still don't see your point.

how many 3 and outs did the D cause? How many punts for Stanford?

Three true 3 and outs.

A four and out stopped on downs.

Three other drives where Stanford punted after one first down.

That's really good defense and/or really bad offense. I'm giving most of the credit here to UW's defense.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,141 Founders Club

http://www.gohuskies.com//ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30200&CONTENT_ID=819167 (not citrus)

They failed to get a first down on the first drive and scored rather easily on the second.

Overall, Stanford's offense was mediocre...but those two TD drives on either side of the halftime break were enough. Stanford was only 4 of 14 on third down.

NOTE: I couldn't help but facepalm when I went to UW's football page and saw this quote from Sark:

FUCK

Crispened that up for you.

FUCK

Crispened that up for you.
    The fact that Sark himself actually said that shit matters, especially when he ignores competitive edges that cost him games.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,861 Founders Club

FUCK

In a TV commercial, Sark says he spends 365 days a year working to make the team better. He says it with a straight face.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Here's some more context. Gaffney averaged under 4 yards per carry. Hogan went 12-20 for 100 yards, with 39 of those coming on one play. 4.5 yards per play is pretty solid, especially against a good team. It's the lowest yards per play Stanford has had all year. The third down conversions have already been mentioned. In the third and fourth quarter when Stanford had chances to put the game out of reach, the defense stepped up and got stops. It was a good defensive performance.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    dnc said:

Serious pressing

Very much so. If I start a topic, I am pressing 100%. #SelfAwareness

Let me be more clear crisp Boobs et al., their were 5 opportunities where the Huskies special-short-bus-teams could have put the Stanford O (a) pinned deep in their own zone; or (b) at the 25 with a touchback.

Two possessions were cutesy roll-out-rugby style limp-dick punts - which Barry Sanders exploited for 30 yards on one occasion. The other 3 were kickoffs including two cutesy short kicks that resulted in an easy TD and a possession starting at the UW 19 yard line. All 5 resulted in above average field position.

The D is the best unit we have. The undisciplined offense and special teams is a concern.

MisterEm said:

dnc said:

Serious pressing

Very much so. If I start a topic, I am pressing 100%. #SelfAwareness

Let me be more clear crisp Boobs et al., their were 5 opportunities where the Huskies special-short-bus-teams could have put the Stanford O (a) pinned deep in their own zone; or (b) at the 25 with a touchback.

Two possessions were cutesy roll-out-rugby style limp-dick punts - which Barry Sanders exploited for 30 yards on one occasion. The other 3 were kickoffs including two cutesy short kicks that resulted in an easy TD and a possession starting at the UW 19 yard line. All 5 resulted in above average field position.

The D is the best unit we have. The undisciplined offense and special teams is a concern.

No argument here.
  • Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    Can we make Wilcox the coach in charge of special teams and discipline?
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    What dnc said.

Plus, with these ST gut punches, this game could easily have gotten away from the Huskies early. The defense never let up, kept the game within reach, and put the offense in position to win it in Q4.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Special teams and lack of discipline has been an issue since 2009.

#5thYearIntern
    Your_Mom said:

Can we make Wilcox the coach in charge of special teams and discipline?

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,121 Founders Club
    I saw a good defensive performance that kept the plunger out of our asses.