Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TSIO-Wildcat crap

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
Please make me feel better and tell me we are setting this up for when it really matters, because in the last two years we've ran it approx. 10 times and it has been stoned and a complete waste of a play 10 times.

Against the Beavs it didn't matter, next week against a fired up Utah team only getting a three versus a 7 or having to punt and pissing a series away could.

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

godawgst said:

Please make me feel better and tell me we are setting this up for when it really matters, because in the last two years we've ran it approx. 10 times and it has been stoned and a complete waste of a play 10 times.

Against the Beavs it didn't matter, next week against a fired up Utah team only getting a three versus a 7 or having to punt and pissing a series away could.

They'll run it vs Wazzu, and Gaskin will pull up and throw a TD strike to a wide open Jake Browning to win the Apple Cup.

There. Feel better?
    No because each time a db has actually covered Jake and last year the Lindquist swede package did the same thing.

My hope is Smith got over his skies during the bye-week hearing about all the great things his offense was doing and thought the 7 go-routes we called the first half would get Jake his 5 td's by half and continue his Heisman push. If your going to call your poorest game of the year so-far in conference play this one was the game to do it. Here's to Tedford slapping his pee-pee and getting him back on track next week at Utah.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,162

godawgst said:

They'll run it vs Wazzu, and Gaskin will pull up and throw a TD strike to a wide open Jake Browning to win the Apple Cup.

There. Feel better?
    No. If we need a game-winning touchdown to beat WSU, we fucking suck.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    There's probably some truth to putting some things on film to make other teams have to prepare for it ... but go back to the Stanford and Oregon game tapes and tell me how much of it you saw
    Tequilla said:

There's probably some truth to putting some things on film to make other teams have to prepare for it ... but go back to the Stanford and Oregon game tapes and tell me how much of it you saw

If I'm an opposing dc I pray we line up in it. The more the merrier.

And we did see a sister version of it versus Stanford with the swing pass to Psalm in the first qtr he dropped/Jake led him too far with.

We were first and goal from the 3 and went pass/pass/pass when Stanford hadn't stopped us for less than 2 yards on any run we had tried to that point.

That's the Smith play calling that scares the shit out of me. On occasion he wants to get cute.
    So you asked a question ... got an answer ... and apparently didn't like the answer.

Versus both Stanford and Oregon you saw it sparingly ... what you did see included a tweak off of the play trying to catch the defense in something that they haven't seen ...

Browning is a highly effective and efficient thrower ... throwing inside the 5 with him WILL happen from time to time ... it usually works just not always ... just like running up inside the 5 and running it usually works but not always ...

The offense has been very effective this year ... everybody is talking about the difference this year versus last ...
    Tequilla said:

So you asked a question ... got an answer ... and apparently didn't like the answer.

Versus both Stanford and Oregon you saw it sparingly ... what you did see included a tweak off of the play trying to catch the defense in something that they haven't seen ...

Browning is a highly effective and efficient thrower ... throwing inside the 5 with him WILL happen from time to time ... it usually works just not always ... just like running up inside the 5 and running it usually works but not always ...

The offense has been very effective this year ... everybody is talking about the difference this year versus last ...

I don't think an answer of "we run a bad play that doesn't work just to put it on tape" is your best work, but I also understand your giving your best guess as to why we run it.

I get no OC will be perfect, but wasting plays by calling things you don't have success with after there's a body of work to look at (tunnel/bubble screen packages comes to mind) makes no sense to me.

To Smith's credit he's essentially eliminated that part of the play book and I applaud him for it. I would like to see him do the same with the wildcat package especially down near the goal line which is where we have called it 90% of the time.
    The logic of Wildcat at the goal line is if you are going to run you might as well get another blocker out there

Personally the give away that you are running isn't worth the extra blocked to me
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,896 Founders Club
    I feel the last time we? ran the wildcat with any success was against USC. Smiff did get rid of the wild swede at some point during 2015 and instead went with the wild Irish (Gaskin - hi @CokeGreaterThanPepsi) which worked better.

Then again, Sark > Ty.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    We had one wildcat play that succeeded against Stanford or Oregon. Maybe a double pass to Browning and then someone downfield? I don't remember. I just remember thinking "wow, that shit worked for once".

10 percent of the tim it works, everytim.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

We had one wildcat play that succeeded against Stanford or Oregon. Maybe a double pass to Browning and then someone downfield? I don't remember. I just remember thinking "wow, that shit worked for once".

10 percent of the tim it works, everytim.

Browning took a shot against Stanford on that play and it didn't go for very far