Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wilcox against Oregon

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
2008 BSU@UO: 37-32 Win, defense yields 464 total yards
2009 BSUvsUO: 18-9 Win, defense yields 152 total yards
2010: TennvsUO: 13-48 Loss, defense yields 447 total yards
2012: UW@UO: 21-52 loss, defense yields 497 yards

The jury is still out on this guy.

Comments

• The jury would be out if his job was based solely on defending Oregon.

I'd say he's proven he's one of the best DC's in the nation.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074
    edited October 2013
    Gladstone said:

2008 BSU@UO: 37-32 Win, defense yields 464 total yards
    2009 BSUvsUO: 18-9 Win, defense yields 152 total yards
    2010: TennvsUO: 13-48 Loss, defense yields 447 total yards
    2012: UW@UO: 21-52 loss, defense yields 497 yards

The jury is still out on this guy.

So I hear oregon racks up yArds on alot of d coordinators

Those fuckers moved the ball on Pete Carroll at sc

Come on
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,757 Swaye's Wigwam
    To his credit, Tenn fucking sucked that year, and we sucked last season. To quote Damone, "this team has some bad motherfuckers", who are now also experienced.

This is Wilcox's chance to prove he is the best DC in the country. The loss yesterday was not on the defense. Beat Oregon, people will notice.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,861 Founders Club
    I know what I saw on Saturday, and that defense is the best I've seen at Washington since the early 90s. (I'm not saying they're as good; I'm saying that they're the best since that time).
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,477
    Oregon has lost about 5 games the last 5 years, I bet most teams that played them gave up 400-600 yards.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club

I know what I saw on Saturday, and that defense is the best I've seen at Washington since the early 90s. (I'm not saying they're as good; I'm saying that they're the best since that time).

Could not agree more. Fuck Sark, but our D can ball. 284 yards to Stanford? Are you fucking kidding me? Weren't they averaging that on the ground alone this year? Our boys held up great, tackled, battled, held assignments, and ganged up on people.

This defense is, without a doubt, the best Husky D since the early 90's, and I have watched them all. Eyes don't lie, except at closing time after drinking a half rack.

Now, slowing down Oregon, the way they have going now, is a whole different beast, but I would be shocked if they plungered us for 600+ yards. Wilcox is a good DC, our position coaches are excellent, and the D plays with purpose. I love it!

Some stat nerd, what is our D ranked this year nationally? It has to be up there. They look fucking great.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    edited October 2013
    Oregon's averages those years (rounded to the nearest point/yard):

12: 51 points and 550 yards.
    10: 49 points and 537 yards.
    09: 38 points and 425 yards.
    08: 42 points and 478 yards.
    Overall average: 45 points and 498 yards.

UO's average against Wilcox: 35 points and 390 yards. So Wilcox has been 10 points and 108 yards better than average against UO. And it's actually better than that since I should have removed the Wilcox games from the season averages which would have improved Oregon's yards and ppg those seasons, but that was too much work.

We have a lot more to judge Wilcox on than his performances against Oregon, but if that's all we're looking at, he still looks pretty damn good.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

To his credit, Tenn fucking sucked that year, and we sucked last season. To quote Damone, "this team has some bad motherfuckers", who are now also experienced.

This is Wilcox's chance to prove he is the best DC in the country. The loss yesterday was not on the defense. Beat Oregon, people will notice.

Winning on Saturday won't prove he's the best DC in the country. It will move him into the top tier, at best.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,149 Founders Club
  • I gotta give credit to the DL. Going into the year that appeared to be a weakness and against the Stanford "vaunted" OL that is so great you'd expect them to play smash mouth on us.

Instead other than one drive they couldn't get their run game going. They really only had one drive on the Huskies. Special teams set up 21 points.

Then on the final position when the Huskies D had to three and out them how many times in years past would our D give up a 15 yard run right out of the gate to seal the deal? Instead on 3rd and 1 due to our great DL play they didn't play smash mouth but chose to go cute with a QB boot leg and Peters was all over it.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    I think you're overstating the DL play to call it "great". I'd say it was improved.

Regardless, I think it was a terrible call to not run right at our DL, but you're right, the improvement in the DL at least made it a consideration, whereas in year's past it would have been a gutshot run without hesitation.
  • dnc said:

I think you're overstating the DL play to call it "great". I'd say it was improved.

Regardless, I think it was a terrible call to not run right at our DL, but you're right, the improvement in the DL at least made it a consideration, whereas in year's past it would have been a gutshot run without hesitation.

I'm factoring in the opponent too. One drive they ran it up our ass but two weeks in a row now the DL did a good job. They aren't allowing any big runs(to a RB) to two good running teams.

I think Evan Hudson has improved a lot throughout the year and makes you wonder why he wasn't playing DT from day one instead of as a junior?