Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big 12 to not add any new teams for now

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The Big 12 is fine in its current state as long as Texas and Oklahoma are making comparable money to the major schools in the other P5 conferences. When they don't, that's when you will see everything go tits up.

The assumption that it's an automatic that it will be the Okie schools + Texas + Texas Tech is a little too flawed IMO because Tech really doesn't bring much to the table. Tech's really not good at anything and is far from being in any kind of geographic market.

Even if you assume that it's those 4 schools going in other directions, each conference needs to still add teams to get to the totals that are required for 16 in each ... Big 10, ACC, and SEC all need 2 each. Big 10 will be taking Kansas and ??? (maybe Kansas State). ACC will likely finally get around to taking UConn and ???. SEC would likely take someone from Texas (likely TCU if they don't go West to the PAC) and who knows who else.

The idea that some probably would have that TCU is screwed in a reorganization is not paying attention. The athletic programs in key sports are very good (football is football, baseball has been to the College World Series 3 straight years, basketball just hired Jamie Dixon). The location is strong located in the DFW market. Academics are respected. They will be going somewhere. To me it is a stronger pull than Texas Tech ... most Tech alums don't give a shit ...
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Then the SEC jumps even further ahead of the rest.

I don't see how, especially when the new media/technology landscape may favor the top programs even more so than now. I can foresee an SEC breakup due to a shrinking TV $ pot and/or the big schools trying to get a bigger share of said pot. Heck, the whole conference model may DIAF.

Exactly... the new distribution models for TV favor the networks and not the traditional sat and cable carriers.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    2001400ex said:

The longhorn TV deal is what's killing the conference. Don't be surprised if Oklahoma, oklahoma st, Texas tech, to jump ship to the PAC 12. The PAC 12 will then court Houston to pressure Texas into dropping their network and join the PAC 12 before the rug goes out on them.

Then Oregon, Washington, and California schools make the west division. Then the others make of the east. It makes too much sense though. Watch our commissioner screw it up.

It should have gone this route a few years ago when it was last discussed and Texas wanted their own network. The 4 team playoff should create the need for 4 16 team super conferences. Then it's really an 8 team playoff because the 4 conference championships effectively are an additional playoff game.

That will never happen because it will render the polls useless. And the selection committee full of important people like Ty will be rendered useless.

The current model is doing to change already. DirecTV has already stated they are going away from dishes and boxes to the internet in 4 years. I think we'll be paying for a conglomerate of channels through the internet soon.
    Way to plagiarize my shit fuck-O.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    The funny thing is if the cable bubble bursts the PAC-12 is actually in a great spot, in fact, they might be rooting for it.

About the only good thing Scott has done was make sure the conference has full ownership of its network. It sucks for right now because they can't get into as many households without the cable companies backing it; but if shit hits the fan the conference could make SERIOUS money with 100% ownership.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

I don't see how, especially when the new media/technology landscape may favor the top programs even more so than now. I can foresee an SEC breakup due to a shrinking TV $ pot and/or the big schools trying to get a bigger share of said pot. Heck, the whole conference model may DIAF.

Those purple pills must be some good shit.
    No, he's right that the big schools in each conference could decide to opt out into a sort of Premier League for cfb.
    And the conference model potentially falling apart means schools might leave the SEC for the B12 how exactly?
    Read for comprehension next time.
    Mosster47 said:

I'll solve this whole thing here really quick.

TV subscription is dying and will soon be completely dead. However, each individual network will have either a sole streaming option or will out together packages with the other networks they own. The same number of eyes or even more will he watching on a screen. The way it gets to that screen means fuck-all.

Here is how you solve everything in the current landscape. You split the country into four zones east to west, then make a north and south. You make the playoff eight teams. Each region has 16 teams. If you want to have a soccer style relegation so be it, it won't happen, but pretend if you want.

The winner of the North & South of each region makes the playoff.

The big boys are all together, the mid majors can create their own thing that will absolutely be watched, especially the post season, and FCS stays irrelevant.

Plagiarisms my shit fucko.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

The funny thing is if the cable bubble bursts the PAC-12 is actually in a great spot, in fact, they might be rooting for it.

About the only good thing Scott has done was make sure the conference has full ownership of its network. It sucks for right now because they can't get into as many households without the cable companies backing it; but if shit hits the fan the conference could make SERIOUS money with 100% ownership.

You have to have a desirable product to make SERIOUS money.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited October 2016

How do you explain the rise in Reality TV programming?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708

Those purple pills must be some good shit.
    No, he's right that the big schools in each conference could decide to opt out into a sort of Premier League for cfb.
    And the conference model potentially falling apart means schools might leave the SEC for the B12 how exactly?
    Read for comprehension next time.
    Mosster47 said:

I'll solve this whole thing here really quick.

TV subscription is dying and will soon be completely dead. However, each individual network will have either a sole streaming option or will out together packages with the other networks they own. The same number of eyes or even more will he watching on a screen. The way it gets to that screen means fuck-all.

Here is how you solve everything in the current landscape. You split the country into four zones east to west, then make a north and south. You make the playoff eight teams. Each region has 16 teams. If you want to have a soccer style relegation so be it, it won't happen, but pretend if you want.

The winner of the North & South of each region makes the playoff.

The big boys are all together, the mid majors can create their own thing that will absolutely be watched, especially the post season, and FCS stays irrelevant.

Plagiarisms my shit fucko.
    You are out of your element Donnie.

Purple Pills argued that the Big12 could poach from the SEC. Because the conference model might fall apart.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,818
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Baseman said:

How do you explain the rise in Reality TV programming?
    People desire bullshit in this country.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Tequilla said:

The Big 12 is fine in its current state as long as Texas and Oklahoma are making comparable money to the major schools in the other P5 conferences. When they don't, that's when you will see everything go tits up.

The assumption that it's an automatic that it will be the Okie schools + Texas + Texas Tech is a little too flawed IMO because Tech really doesn't bring much to the table. Tech's really not good at anything and is far from being in any kind of geographic market.

Even if you assume that it's those 4 schools going in other directions, each conference needs to still add teams to get to the totals that are required for 16 in each ... Big 10, ACC, and SEC all need 2 each. Big 10 will be taking Kansas and ??? (maybe Kansas State). ACC will likely finally get around to taking UConn and ???. SEC would likely take someone from Texas (likely TCU if they don't go West to the PAC) and who knows who else.

The idea that some probably would have that TCU is screwed in a reorganization is not paying attention. The athletic programs in key sports are very good (football is football, baseball has been to the College World Series 3 straight years, basketball just hired Jamie Dixon). The location is strong located in the DFW market. Academics are respected. They will be going somewhere. To me it is a stronger pull than Texas Tech ... most Tech alums don't give a shit ...

You are seriously delusional if you think TBU is going to end up in the SEC.

If the colleges aren't going to spin football off into a quasi NFL I hope they go back to the historical conference model.

Revenue share between conferences and do shit regionally. Put in an eight team playoff and blammo, there's your product.