Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question for the recruiting experts

2»

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Who is this Sacramento DE that is allegedly visiting next month? Can never have too many pass-rushers:

washington.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Visits

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1292
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HFNY said:

Who is this Sacramento DE that is allegedly visiting next month? Can never have too many pass-rushers:

Let me see if that's actually still happening. That kid is unreal.
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited October 2016

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

Kids we would take no matter what (that we could at least get to visit):
    RB Stephen Carr (USC commit - rumor is, he will trip here).

Really? Ahmed is way better than him IMO and Wedington is just as good
    Have you watched Carr's tape? Might as well make the soundtrack "U Can't Touch This" because he's elusive as fuck. Ahmed and Wedington might be faster but they aren't even close to Carr when it comes to making guys miss. 5 stars for a reason.
    Ahmed's tape is much better IMO. Just as elusive but with much better speed and acceleration
    He's like 40 pounds lighter. And Carr is crazy elusive.

Listen - I *LOVE* Ahmed. I think he will be like Taj Griffin or Byron Marshall. But Carr is like Royce Freeman.
    The highest Carr is listed as is 203, the highest Ahmed is listed as is 191. There is maybe a 15lbs difference not 40 lol.

Griffin and Marshall are midgets who are more quick than fast, Ahmed is almost 6'0 with legit burner speed like Chris Johnson.
    Chris Johnson? Fucking Christ.

Carr is ~210 now and Ahmed is ~185. But, in projecting... Ahmed will probably end up around 195/200 whereas Carr will probably end up around 230 (if all goes well), but you're right that Ahmed was heavier than I remembered (I thought he was 170).

If you watch Carr's film and can't figure out why we'd want him (and are trying like hell to pry him away from USC) then mazel tov.

Ahmed is crazy fucking quick, and fast as shit. There's no disagreement on how good Ahmed is. I love him.

But both Wedington and Ahmed are not reasons why you wouldn't take Carr. Carr is a Royce Freeman type and you can move Ahmed and/or Wedington to DB if you have to.

No one in the country besides you would pass on Carr. So, I guess you can take some solace in that you are a maverick.

I love Ahmed on offense personally, but if you are looking to even out skill sets, he is somewhat redundant with McGrew and Carr is completely different than McGrew (sort of like DAT vs. Freeman).

I would happily take Carr, though—even though in spirit I see where you're coming from. In general teams never pass on a player of his caliber. And we are definitely recruiting him.
    Where are you getting this disparity in weight from? No one list them being 25lbs apart. If anything there is a bigger difference in weight between Carr and Freeman(who aren't very similar)
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Looks like that's super old. He's committed to Miami sadly.
  • Options
    KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

Have you watched Carr's tape? Might as well make the soundtrack "U Can't Touch This" because he's elusive as fuck. Ahmed and Wedington might be faster but they aren't even close to Carr when it comes to making guys miss. 5 stars for a reason.
    Ahmed's tape is much better IMO. Just as elusive but with much better speed and acceleration

Listen - I *LOVE* Ahmed. I think he will be like Taj Griffin or Byron Marshall. But Carr is like Royce Freeman.
    The highest Carr is listed as is 203, the highest Ahmed is listed as is 191. There is maybe a 15lbs difference not 40 lol.

Griffin and Marshall are midgets who are more quick than fast, Ahmed is almost 6'0 with legit burner speed like Chris Johnson.

Carr is ~210 now and Ahmed is ~185. But, in projecting... Ahmed will probably end up around 195/200 whereas Carr will probably end up around 230 (if all goes well), but you're right that Ahmed was heavier than I remembered (I thought he was 170).

If you watch Carr's film and can't figure out why we'd want him (and are trying like hell to pry him away from USC) then mazel tov.

Ahmed is crazy fucking quick, and fast as shit. There's no disagreement on how good Ahmed is. I love him.

But both Wedington and Ahmed are not reasons why you wouldn't take Carr. Carr is a Royce Freeman type and you can move Ahmed and/or Wedington to DB if you have to.

No one in the country besides you would pass on Carr. So, I guess you can take some solace in that you are a maverick.

I love Ahmed on offense personally, but if you are looking to even out skill sets, he is somewhat redundant with McGrew and Carr is completely different than McGrew (sort of like DAT vs. Freeman).

I would happily take Carr, though—even though in spirit I see where you're coming from. In general teams never pass on a player of his caliber. And we are definitely recruiting him.
    Where are you getting this disparity in weight from? No one list them being 25lbs apart. If anything there is a bigger difference in weight between Carr and Freeman(who aren't very similar)
    So, you think kids' frames don't affect how big they get in college? I'm sure you're right.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

So, you think kids' frames don't affect how big they get in college? I'm sure you're right.
    Freeman's frame was much bigger than Carr's.

Ahmed's frame and skillset is Chris Johnson, Joe Mcknight or CJ Spiller.

Carr reminds of Paul Perkins from UCLA or Richard from Arizona St not a special athlete but runs hard and well rounded skills. I see Wedington in this mold too
  • Options
    KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

Carr reminds of Paul Perkins from UCLA or Richard from Arizona St not a special athlete but runs hard and well rounded skills. I see Wedington in this mold too
    Carr looks like a kid to me who will play (eventually) at 225 and has special lateral quickness for his size. Royce Freeman is one comparison, but there are more I could make, obviously; we don't need to get insane about particular people.

Wedington is not nearly as quick laterally as Carr. He's a one-foot and go guy.

I think your characterization of Marshall etc as guys who are more quick than fast is crazy. Marshall hit 10.8 in HS and other Ducks did that or better too (DAT, Barner, James). Marshall is 5-10 207, so he's not a midget and he was quick as shit. So, yeah, I don't see how Salvon isn't pretty similar to him (other than 2 inches of height.

With Chris Johnson, you are talking about someone that ran a 10.46 in his junior year of HS (Salvon, by comparison topped out at 11.03 this past spring following his Jr year); and a half second discrepancy at that point in time is huge. I just don't get that comparison.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Why do you think Carr can put on 20+ lbs and keep his lateral quickness(which is good but definitely not special IMO)?

Ahmed's relatively slow 100m time(Gilchrist and Wedington have faster PRs) likely indicates he's either not focused on track or his school doesn't have high level coaches.
  • Options
    KobeStan said:

Why do you think Carr can put on 20+ lbs and keep his lateral quickness(which is good but definitely not special IMO)?

Ahmed's relatively slow 100m time(Gilchrist and Wedington have faster PRs) likely indicates he's either not focused on track or his school doesn't have high level coaches.

1a) Because that's what backs do all the fucking time.
    1b) I'm sorry you don't think his lateral quickness is special, you should complain to Bonapha, not me.

and

2) ...but still!!!!!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    KobeStan said:

The 20 pounds that he's going to put on will be done under the advisement of a (high level) S&C program (if he came to UW) and will likely be all muscle that can be translated to explosive movements ...

Quickness is based on a combination of high end reaction combined with explosive movements ... some of that can be taught or gained over time ... but those with elite levels are those that are just born with it because it is second nature to them.

Assuming that he's not adding 20 pounds in the wrong places, his quickness will still be there.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Tequilla said:

KobeStan said:

The 20 pounds that he's going to put on will be done under the advisement of a (high level) S&C program (if he came to UW) and will likely be all muscle that can be translated to explosive movements ...

Quickness is based on a combination of high end reaction combined with explosive movements ... some of that can be taught or gained over time ... but those with elite levels are those that are just born with it because it is second nature to them.

Assuming that he's not adding 20 pounds in the wrong places, his quickness will still be there.
    Why not just stick to short and concise? Your last point says it all.

Do you hate your thumbs?
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

5. Orlando Umama, "You are a warm body and you prefer Utah over us, but we can still delude ourselves."

Man, I love this guy. His film is awesome. Just mauls and buries everyone in his path. I would be okay if we got him for one of our interior OL spots.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5260957/5721d9f690eead5d90e2bc24

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    MisterEm said:

Tequilla said:

KobeStan said:

Why not just stick to short and concise? Your last point says it all.

Do you hate your thumbs?
    Probably because I'm multitasking and just letting my thoughts go without editing
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2016

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

Carr looks like a kid to me who will play (eventually) at 225 and has special lateral quickness for his size. Royce Freeman is one comparison, but there are more I could make, obviously; we don't need to get insane about particular people.

I think your characterization of Marshall etc as guys who are more quick than fast is crazy. Marshall hit 10.8 in HS and other Ducks did that or better too (DAT, Barner, James). Marshall is 5-10 207, so he's not a midget and he was quick as shit. So, yeah, I don't see how Salvon isn't pretty similar to him (other than 2 inches of height.

With Chris Johnson, you are talking about someone that ran a 10.46 in his junior year of HS (Salvon, by comparison topped out at 11.03 this past spring following his Jr year); and a half second discrepancy at that point in time is huge. I just don't get that comparison.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. I look at his film and I see a kid that runs 10.7 - easy. If his best time is 11.03, something is wrong.
  • Options
    Passion said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

KobeStan said:

NEsnake12 said:

KobeStan said:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I look at his film and I see a kid that runs 10.7 - easy. If his best time is 11.03, something is wrong.
    Yeah I think he must not take track seriously or his school doesn't have real coaches. Ahmed ran the fastest 40 time at the Opening this year which featured several guys with sub 11 second 100m times
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    SWEATPANTS BONER! If he commits the sweatpants come off.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

Sounds like Jaelan Phillips will visit after the season. Roofie confirmed it. One of the guys DDY mentioned as hyper long shots who we're still after.

This kid is one of the best OLB prospects I've ever watched on film. Don't watch his film.

http://247sports.com/Article/5-star-noticing-Huskies-success-48392211

He would be nice to have lined up opposite Onwuzurike for 3 seasons.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    NEsnake12 said:

Sounds like Jaelan Phillips will visit after the season. Roofie confirmed it. One of the guys DDY mentioned as hyper long shots who we're still after.

This kid is one of the best OLB prospects I've ever watched on film. Don't watch his film.

http://247sports.com/Article/5-star-noticing-Huskies-success-48392211

He didn't say anything about taking an official visit in that article, though the title would suggest he did