Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPNU just replayed UW vs. stanford 2012.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
Man, neither offense looked good, but stanford's defense was very good. They just had a couple of breakdowns, and we made them pay.

Both offenses are much improved this year, but stanford clearly should be favored this year. Their QB (hogan) is ten-times better than the guy that UW played against last year (nunez).

Here comes the Broken Record: We didn't put nunez under a ton of pressure last year, but luckily for us we didn't have to because the guy was awful. This year is different. My gut tells me that stanford does a good job protecting hogan from our undersized DEs, and he completes passes down the field.

Meanwhile, stanford's defense will press our outside WRs in order to take away our quick passing game. And when Price tries to drop back and throw long, he will get pummeled.

I think stanford wins. Don't know the score.

Comments

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159
    I remember the Stanford receivers dropping a couple sure touchdowns as well. It was a big win on paper but our performance didn't instill a lot of confidence in me.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club
    Agree, completely.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    It was obvious Nunes' performance really sucked that night. What gets lost in the story was that the Dawgs held them to 2.3 avg. and 65 rushing yards. No other team (Wisconsin, ND, Oregon, etc) came close to that number.

I would rather see them make the Tree beat them over the top then sit back in some soft D and get blasted by Gaffney all day. Have Peters lock onto Montgomery, stuff the box and take your chances from there.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

It was obvious Nunes' performance really sucked that night. What gets lost in the story was that the Dawgs held them to 2.3 avg. and 65 rushing yards. No other team (Wisconsin, ND, Oregon, etc) came close to that number.

I would rather see them make the Tree beat them over the top then sit back in some soft D and get blasted by Gaffney all day. Have Peters lock onto Montgomery, stuff the box and take your chances from there.

Thing is, I don't think we can stop their run game even if we load the box. Not having Tokolahi really is going to play a big role in this game.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

It's a lot easier to stop the run when you don't fear the passing game at all.

Will not be the case today.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,156 Founders Club
    I like the Huskies in that 2012 game
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

Thing is, I don't think we can stop their run game even if we load the box. Not having Tokolahi really is going to play a big role in this game.
    Yes, that is HUGE. Burning Tokolahi's redshirt was criminal.

Even more criminal is that there aren't more Tokolahis and Sheltons on the roster.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

I remember the Stanford receivers dropping a couple sure touchdowns as well. It was a big win on paper but our performance didn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Agree. It instilled no confidence. We had an OL that couldn't block for shit and got very little pass rush. We all knew Oregon was going to plunger rape us the next week.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Wilcox dialed up a 4-4 defense to take away Stanford's ground game in '12. Gotta go heavy again (Cree?) to have a chance, and just live with fact that Hogan's gonna complete some passes. Gaffney scares me a lot more than their WRs do, and corners are a relative strength for UW.

Press, blitz, and hold your breath.
  • jmc84jmc84 Member Posts: 499

Dropped Pass is our best defensive player.
    That guy was clutch against Illinoise too. Hopefully he brings a crisp performance tonight.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    TTJ said:

Wilcox dialed up a 4-4 defense to take away Stanford's ground game in '12. Gotta go heavy again (Cree?) to have a chance, and just live with fact that Hogan's gonna complete some passes. Gaffney scares me a lot more than their WRs do, and corners are a relative strength for UW.

Press, blitz, and hold your breath.

Gaffney is only averaging 4.4 yards per carry in the first two Pac 12 games. He's good, but the Stanford running game isn't necessarily explosive. He honestly does not scare me too much. Getting pressure on Hogan is a bigger worry of mine. They might not have great WR's, but if we don't get pressure on Hogan, he will complete passes and run for key first downs.

I am more worried about if our offense can do anything against their dominant defense. I also am worried about us imploding with poor special teams, fumbles, pick 6's, which is basically what we always do against good teams on the road.

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    It was the perfect storm for us last year

- Home Game
    - Stanford WR's dipping their gloves in Crisco pre game
    - Bette Midler at QB

I will give credit to Wilcox a little bit but Stanford beat themselves badly. Every player on that roster should have had their scholarship pulled at halftime.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

It was the perfect storm for us last year

- Home Game
    - Stanford WR's dipping their gloves in Crisco pre game
    - Bette Midler at QB

I will give credit to Wilcox a little bit but Stanford beat themselves badly. Every player on that roster should have had their scholarship pulled at halftime.

You gotta give them a lot of credit for holding the Tree to 65 yards rushing. Teams just don't do that to Stanford with their Oline. And it doesn't matter what their passing game does, they still have the ability to shove it down your throat.

They hung 65 pts on UW with Holt's D sitting back and Luck threw it only 21 times.

Chances are you are going to lose either way, so I would try to take away what a team does REALLY well (Run) and make them beat me with what they do FARELY (pass) well.