Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why Washington never was, or ever will be, a real football school

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
edited September 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Same As It Ever Was

In 1908, Gil Dobie took over a beleaguered Husky squad. Fresh off a a lackluster 4-4-2 record the year before ( a familiar song to most of you fucktards) Dobie's 8-0 record the year before at North Dakota State, his first year ever as a head coach, brought excitement to Montlake.

Dobie wasted no time. "I dont need any extra time to get my guys in there," Dobie allegedly told a booster back then. Dobie delivered as a OUR Huskies went 6-0-1 in his first year at the helm.

Gil Dobie: Kicked ass. Didn't take names.

Dobie made no excuses and didnt fuck around, "You guys are going to get your butts kicked on Saturday," hed often be heard yelling at his players during practice. "They'll use you for tackling dummies."

Dobie, one of his players said, "wasn't there to make friends, he was there to win." And win he did. Dobie's UW teams never lost - ever. Between ought-8 and 1916 Washington went 59-0, including 43 shutouts. Over this period, Dobie's stingey defenses allowed just 1.9 points per game. He reached 100 wins faster than any coach- ever (in only 108 games)

Dobie's teams didn't pass much - 'fuck no' he reportedly told an assistant coach who suggested an exotic play where an end would motion across the field, stop behind another end as the ball was snapped, with the quarterback slinging the ball to the end behind the other as the end in front shielded his man.

No sir, Dobie's boys ran the ball. They ran and they ran some more. His offensive philosophy? "I don't believe in having a whole lot of plays," he said. "A dozen or so are enough. Players should be kept in good mental condition. I send my boys into a game thinking they have a fine chance of being whipped and only a small chance of winning. That makes them fight." (Hi Pete/J. Smith)

Upper campus, however, didn't appreciate coach 'Doab's' winning ways. Dobie, according to them, wasn't a molder of men. Then President Henry Suzzallo forced him to resign in 1916, saying this, "Mr. Dobie will not be with us next year...The chief function of the university is to train character. Mr. Dobie failed to perform to his full share of that responsibility on the football field. Therefore we do not wish him to return next year."

Further, “It has become quite apparent that Mr. Dobie and I disagree as to the functions of a university coach. He has not accepted in practice the obligation to be a vigorous moral force as well as an excellent technical instructor. In such a disagreement it is natural that we cannot utilize Mr. Dobie. Every part of the university organization must cooperate toward one end, character building.”

The administration made an example of Dobie. Long before blacks were allowed to play, well before gays and lesbians were embraced, Trans folks welcomed, Washington blazed a trail, promoting diversity.

Over the past 100 years, these values have endured. In 1992, despite a successful run and a program that was the envy of the Pac-10 and SEC ('sup Boobs!) Washington pulled the rug on then coach Don James, orchestrated by UW President William 'Willie Gerbs' Gurburding.

As Washington moved into the 21st century it held true to its values, " Everything Over Football."

Lorenzo Romar, though short on wins and NCAA tourney success certainty upholds meets the 'chief function' of a 'university' coach is to "train character"

Former Head Football Tyrone Willingham, disappointed in the wins and loss column, but was recognized in the Seattle community, Gass and Groz radio show, and Seattle Times as a strong and 'vigorous moral force.' Today, current head coach Chris Peterman and his well respected staff are widely considered " excellent technical instructors"

Be sure, should Washington recapture that old Dobie Magic and win, the University's strong morals, traditions, and values will steadfastly uphold "vigorous morals" and "character building", even if it means sacrificing wins.

Comments