Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

State of the Bored Address

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

1. When I have put ads on here, people complain that I sold out

2. Soon after, we get flagged repeatedly for bad language, and the ads get pulled (as happened with Google advertising).

This is a big fucking problem. Not number 1. Fuck anyone who thinks you are selling out trying to break even in year 4 of a website you have sunk thousands of your own dollars into. I mean seriously, fuck them.

Number 2 is the issue. If you take away all the cursing and buffoonery this place becomes like neutering the Thunder Dome by making it gay only. Not just normal gays either, but the really fruity ones. Would kill the entire site mojo. Could you get creative and put most of the boreds behind a wall (like Wigwam), and leave a couple of clean boards visible to everyone? Call it the Freebird bored or some shit...I am just trying to think outside the box, but the need to be "clean" presents real problems for money generation.

I think Coke (and others) are really onto something with the social media thing. This site is really no different from ShaggyBevo or Tigerdroppings....but they have HUGE traffic and member bases. There is a market for this kind of hijinks. One of our core problems is that Texas and LSU are simply much, much better football programs than our shit show. People from all over the country follow them religiously. UW, not so much. Thanks sloppy tits. That said, with proper "marketing" on social media, there is no reason we couldn't pull a larger swath of people who are just football fans looking for a fun time. This could be the faggy Pac-12 equivalent of those. I really believe that. There is nothing else like this site for football on the West Coast. Market the shit out of it. Use social media all stars like Grundle, Coke, etc. If they can get us 50 new contributors in a year, that is better than any financial donation they could have made.

My fucking fingers hurt and I am making @Tequilla blush.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,413 Founders Club

Few things real quick:

- Request volunteers to join a small team to help take some moderator duties off your plate.
    - Add some additional revenue streams to the site.
    - You must branch out into social media to bring in new poasters.
    - More articles is a good idea, content drives traffic. You should guest write on other sports sites/blogs in exchange for them linking back to HH.

Not sure what all they do, but TigerDroppings is just as politically incorrect as HH and they have way more members and traffic. Maybe you could reach out to their admin for advice?

And before anyone gives me crap, yes I will donate this year!

I haven't ever spoken with the Tiger Droppings folks, but I did consult with the owner of Shaggy Bevo when I was in the process of creating Hardcore Husky. He was helpful.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,413 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

I'll get around to tossing $25 your way. Other message boreds are fully free and make their money through ads. We're* creating free content after all. Or stealing it. same same.

Maybe become an Amazon affiliate? I'd do all my shopping through a link here to support the sight.

I had an Amazon affiliate thing up for 2+ months and not many clicked through.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Swaye said:

1. When I have put ads on here, people complain that I sold out

2. Soon after, we get flagged repeatedly for bad language, and the ads get pulled (as happened with Google advertising).

This is a big fucking problem. Not number 1. Fuck anyone who thinks you are selling out trying to break even in year 4 of a website you have sunk thousands of your own dollars into. I mean seriously, fuck them.

Number 2 is the issue. If you take away all the cursing and buffoonery this place becomes like neutering the Thunder Dome by making it gay only. Not just normal gays either, but the really fruity ones. Would kill the entire site mojo. Could you get creative and put most of the boreds behind a wall (like Wigwam), and leave a couple of clean boards visible to everyone? Call it the Freebird bored or some shit...I am just trying to think outside the box, but the need to be "clean" presents real problems for money generation.

I think Coke (and others) are really onto something with the social media thing. This site is really no different from ShaggyBevo or Tigerdroppings....but they have HUGE traffic and member bases. There is a market for this kind of hijinks. One of our core problems is that Texas and LSU are simply much, much better football programs than our shit show. People from all over the country follow them religiously. UW, not so much. Thanks sloppy tits. That said, with proper "marketing" on social media, there is no reason we couldn't pull a larger swath of people who are just football fans looking for a fun time. This could be the faggy Pac-12 equivalent of those. I really believe that. There is nothing else like this site for football on the West Coast. Market the shit out of it. Use social media all stars like Grundle, Coke, etc. If they can get us 50 new contributors in a year, that is better than any financial donation they could have made.

My fucking fingers hurt and I am making @Tequilla blush.
    That is part of the reasoning behind our Tennessee Volunteer podcast that will soon debut. It is one of several tools to help spread the word across the country.

I don't like the idea of watering down a board for mass public consumption. It takes away from what and who we are. But I appreciate what you're driving at, which is to think outside the box.

Considering the tepid nature of Husky Football, it is amazing the following and traffic we have here.

Hardcore Husky is going to succeed one way or another. We will figure it out as we go along.
    I hadn't thought about using the Vols as an approach to expand the base (i.e. when I just PM'ed you). Let me think on that. It shouldn't take long. I am not known as a deep thinker.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,601 Standard Supporter

whlinder said:

I'll get around to tossing $25 your way. Other message boreds are fully free and make their money through ads. We're* creating free content after all. Or stealing it. same same.

Maybe become an Amazon affiliate? I'd do all my shopping through a link here to support the sight.

I had an Amazon affiliate thing up for 2+ months and not many clicked through.
    Hmm. We? suck then. I can't recall that... maybe it needs more FREE PUB?
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,601 Standard Supporter
    Also, 27 poasts and no one has asked "When does Sven get put in charge?"
  • section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    We can all tell 2 friends about this site....
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,498 Swaye's Wigwam
    The Tennessee thing makes no sense at all
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,526 Founders Club
    2 cents:

The social media thing is a good idea. There are a few Pac 12 and UW Fagbook groups that would be receptive to this kind of site. I don't know Twitters quite as much, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to create a buzz. If you could get a person with a lot of followers to retweet things, that would help. I don't know shit about Instantgram or whatever it's called (I refuse to sign up), but there are a lot of Millenials on it. It's mostly pictures I believe, but post some funny pictures with jokes of UW failures or something.

Opposing fans are a slippery slope. I've interacted with Duck and WSU fans for way over a decade. Both fan bases are full of mouth breathing idiots, especially Oregon's. Many people here seem to almost like Oregon, or they do like Oregon, so maybe they wouldn't troll this place very hard. I don't know. Any other fans are probably harmless. This place can be pretty idiotic and repetitive in some ways, but there are a lot of intelligent people overall. It is a respite from pussified America where the p.c. police will turn you in to HR and fat ass Amy Schumer does fucking beer ads talking about trannies.

I think this place has probably hit about the limit of the internet HHB/high expectation crowd, so other fans might be the way to go.

I was on a board from about 2004 to 2011 and it was sort of similar to here. I think it was a little more restrictive, but there were similar jokes and it wasn't mainstream. The owner was just kind of like, "Hey...operating costs are this...can you pitch in?" I did a couple of times, but the site was just the same 100 regulars saying the same things over and over. He didn't really have much of a vision for it, so it just got stale. Recognizing issues like that now is good, as opposed to two or three years from now when numbers decline. He never posted any articles or did any podcasts, so those are good things to create buzz.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

2 cents:

The social media thing is a good idea. There are a few Pac 12 and UW Fagbook groups that would be receptive to this kind of site. I don't know Twitters quite as much, but it probably wouldn't be that hard to create a buzz. If you could get a person with a lot of followers to retweet things, that would help. I don't know shit about Instantgram or whatever it's called (I refuse to sign up), but there are a lot of Millenials on it. It's mostly pictures I believe, but post some funny pictures with jokes of UW failures or something.

Opposing fans are a slippery slope. I've interacted with Duck and WSU fans for way over a decade. Both fan bases are full of mouth breathing idiots, especially Oregon's. Many people here seem to almost like Oregon, or they do like Oregon, so maybe they wouldn't troll this place very hard. I don't know. Any other fans are probably harmless. This place can be pretty idiotic and repetitive in some ways, but there are a lot of intelligent people overall. It is a respite from pussified America where the p.c. police will turn you in to HR and fat ass Amy Schumer does fucking beer ads talking about trannies.

I think this place has probably hit about the limit of the internet HHB/high expectation crowd, so other fans might be the way to go.

I was on a board from about 2004 to 2011 and it was sort of similar to here. I think it was a little more restrictive, but there were similar jokes and it wasn't mainstream. The owner was just kind of like, "Hey...operating costs are this...can you pitch in?" I did a couple of times, but the site was just the same 100 regulars saying the same things over and over. He didn't really have much of a vision for it, so it just got stale. Recognizing issues like that now is good, as opposed to two or three years from now when numbers decline. He never posted any articles or did any podcasts, so those are good things to create buzz.

Doog poast.

Doog poaster.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    Market the site as a pac 12 shit-throwing bored, paywall the uncensored boreds, problem solved

LOL at FMB about the cuouug and duck fans. Try living with and working with these people on a regular basis. I actually love that the huskies are the evil, hated program down here among all these quooks, cuoiogs, and beaver-believer faggots.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    haie said:

Market the site as a pac 12 shit-throwing bored, paywall the uncensored boreds, problem solved

LOL at FMB about the cuouug and duck fans. Try living with and working with these people on a regular basis. I actually love that the huskies are the evil, hated program down here among all these quooks, cuoiogs, and beaver-believer faggots.

Holy doog.

Maybe Derek should just shut this shitshow down.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    The problem with this site becoming a hub for all Pac 12 fans is the "College Football" board moves too slowly. There isn't enough activity to draw fans from other sites.

Combining the main UW board with the rest of college football could help, but non-UW threads could get drowned out in the noise. Still, I think you should combine them until the non-UW talk gets popular enough to warrant its own board.

*bored
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Hmmmm...puppy forced to hightail it the fuck out and donations plummet. Coincidence? Yeah and so is
    The dawgs being ranked 14th under Petersen.