Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Game rewatch observances

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
Most of this will fall under the water is wet variety, but some things that stuck out:

-- Shelton is a goddamn beast. He clogs up the middle better than any DT in recent UW memory. He engages two blockers on pretty much every play, allowing our LBs free to roam and make plays. On the rare occasion they didn't double team Shelton, he blew entire plays up by himself. I've seen some complain that he takes the occasional play off but I didn't see it here. Run stuffer is going to be his NFL calling card and he is putting on a display these days. Shelton and our LBs are what give me vague hope for the Tree game, which leads me to...

-- LB play is phenomenal. Shaq over-pursued a few times, but you'd rather make a mistake going 100mph then to stand idle and do nothing. They aren't as big as the Tree LB core but they're faster and more athletic. Stanford is going to run directly at these guys and I think we'll do OK against the run on Saturday. I really do.

-- Sark has made some adjustments in the red zone. I noticed he brought #80 Hudson back from defense in to be a 3rd TE on a few RZ plays. During our first 3rd quarter touchdown, he lined up as the 2nd TE on the right side and he fucking destroyed the Arizona OLB. Completely tanked and planted him into the ground. Also saw Psalm Wooching. Hooray for a little bit of smashmouth. It was nice to see us huddle up here in the RZ. Sark took a lot of crap for his pussy RZ playcalling against Illinois, when he was at the 8 yard line and kept calling pussy 5 yard WR out routes. This time he fed Sankey and scored the TD. So, credit there.

-- I am softening up my stance on the first half offensive playcalling a little bit. I've heard from many people now, people I trust, about how abhorrent the weather was. That doesn't excuse shit like throwing the ball on 3rd and 2/3/4 when you have literally the best RB in college football in your backfield. In a torrential downpour. With a OL that is suited to road grading. Christ. But I think Sark trusted his defense not to fuck his lead up, and he played it safe. 20-30mph gusts with constant wind directional change is nothing to scoff at. Bubble screens to Mickens and especially Ross would have been risky given how difficult it waI s for Price to grip the ball (per his post-game conference report) and the proclivity of fumbling in the rain. I can live with it I guess. All the same, we obviously cannot afford to wait until the 3rd quarter to go off on Stanford. This has happened against every team with a pulse we've played thus far.

-- Against every team we play, Sankey will be arguably the best player on the field. Awesome to see him emerge. If he can somehow carry us to a victory on the Farm, he'll start to (deservingly so) begin to get Heisman hype.

-- ASJ's blocking looks improved over last year. Granted his blocking sucked last year, but he was shoving guys aside last Saturday.

-- I really like our WRs. Kasen is the physical one. Ross the burner. Mickens the slippery slot guy. Smith the jack-of-all-trades.

-- Callier looks better now than he did pre-ACL.

-- RichRod is an emo toolbag.

-- Besides the OL, the most pleasant surprise of the year IMO is the secondary play. This Saturday will be a very interesting test to see just how good these guys are. I expect us to leave them on an island as we focus on stopping their run game. I'm excited to see how that match up against Montgomery and that big white TE looking motherfucker.

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    edited October 2013
    Montgomery is bigger then half the husky defense. That isn't a shot against the D just that Monty is a large individual.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Keith price is the best player on the field. Enough said on that.
  • Gladstone said:

Most of this will fall under the water is wet variety, but some things that stuck out:

-- Shelton is a goddamn beast. He clogs up the middle better than any DT in recent UW memory. He engages two blockers on pretty much every play, allowing our LBs free to roam and make plays. On the rare occasion they didn't double team Shelton, he blew entire plays up by himself. I've seen some complain that he takes the occasional play off but I didn't see it here. Run stuffer is going to be his NFL calling card and he is putting on a display these days. Shelton and our LBs are what give me vague hope for the Tree game, which leads me to...

-- LB play is phenomenal. Shaq over-pursued a few times, but you'd rather make a mistake going 100mph then to stand idle and do nothing. They aren't as big as the Tree LB core but they're faster and more athletic. Stanford is going to run directly at these guys and I think we'll do OK against the run on Saturday. I really do.

-- Sark has made some adjustments in the red zone. I noticed he brought #80 Hudson back from defense in to be a 3rd TE on a few RZ plays. During our first 3rd quarter touchdown, he lined up as the 2nd TE on the right side and he fucking destroyed the Arizona OLB. Completely tanked and planted him into the ground. Also saw Psalm Wooching. Hooray for a little bit of smashmouth. It was nice to see us huddle up here in the RZ. Sark took a lot of crap for his pussy RZ playcalling against Illinois, when he was at the 8 yard line and kept calling pussy 5 yard WR out routes. This time he fed Sankey and scored the TD. So, credit there.

-- I am softening up my stance on the first half offensive playcalling a little bit. I've heard from many people now, people I trust, about how abhorrent the weather was. That doesn't excuse shit like throwing the ball on 3rd and 2/3/4 when you have literally the best RB in college football in your backfield. In a torrential downpour. With a OL that is suited to road grading. Christ. But I think Sark trusted his defense not to fuck his lead up, and he played it safe. 20-30mph gusts with constant wind directional change is nothing to scoff at. Bubble screens to Mickens and especially Ross would have been risky given how difficult it waI s for Price to grip the ball (per his post-game conference report) and the proclivity of fumbling in the rain. I can live with it I guess. All the same, we obviously cannot afford to wait until the 3rd quarter to go off on Stanford. This has happened against every team with a pulse we've played thus far.

-- Against every team we play, Sankey will be arguably the best player on the field. Awesome to see him emerge. If he can somehow carry us to a victory on the Farm, he'll start to (deservingly so) begin to get Heisman hype.

-- ASJ's blocking looks improved over last year. Granted his blocking sucked last year, but he was shoving guys aside last Saturday.

-- I really like our WRs. Kasen is the physical one. Ross the burner. Mickens the slippery slot guy. Smith the jack-of-all-trades.

-- Besides the OL, the most pleasant surprise of the year IMO is the secondary play. This Saturday will be a very interesting test to see just how good these guys are. I expect us to leave them on an island as we focus on stopping their run game. I'm excited to see how that match up against Montgomery and that big white TE looking motherfucker.

Who the fuck has time to read all this shit?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Oh yeah, Damone I agree that Price is a goddamn stud. I loved the play where Price beautifully escaped the pressure and managed to dump it off to Callier on a big 3rd down screen.Sankey is approaching a pretty special status though.

And also, our last TD drive was the best of the Sark era. All smashmouth runs against a stacked box. The doog in me wants to say that was a turning point in Sark's playcalling, but the realist in me knows it was more likely an aberration.
    edited October 2013

Gladstone said:

All of this forum can't be a self-referential circle jerk, can it? Bah
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

huh?

• Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

You seem upset. Perhaps a long walk on the beech with your wife, girlfriend, husband, boyfriend or dog will help you gain some much needed perspective.
    Leave my boyfriend out of this.
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    Gladstone said:

It was nice to see us huddle up here in the RZ. Sark took a lot of crap for his pussy RZ playcalling against Illinois, when he was at the 8 yard line and kept calling pussy 5 yard WR out routes. This time he fed Sankey and scored the TD. So, credit there.

They average a weight of 332 lbs across the line, they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. These boys have the attitude and are ready to rumble.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    I like the Huskies this week. That was a good win. No need to spin. Something good is going on with this team. I stopped rooting for Arizona in the third quarter.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Gladstone said:

agree
    Gladstone said:

Oh yeah, Damone I agree that Price is a goddamn stud. I loved the play where Price beautifully escaped the pressure and managed to dump it off to Callier on a big 3rd down screen.Sankey is approaching a pretty special status though.

And also, our last TD drive was the best of the Sark era. All smashmouth runs against a stacked box. The doog in me wants to say that was a turning point in Sark's playcalling, but the realist in me knows it was more likely an aberration.

Long post superiority guy.

I like the Huskies this week. That was a good win. No need to spin. Something good is going on with this team. I stopped rooting for Arizona in the third quarter.

I would have fired Rich Rod ( I like to call him that) at halftime.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

I like to call him Dick Rod... You know? Because his name is Richard, which is often shortened to Dick, which makes it really funny that his last name is shortened to Rod. Hence, Dick Rod.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

Doogs gonna doog. :)

I hope you're right, but between the mistakes they've been making, Sark's track record on the road, and the physical mismatches, I'm not seeing it. When Stanford is paying attention to what they're doing, they really do look legit, while the Huskies still look like they've got to settle down, become more consistent and improve their execution.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

I like to call him Dick Rod... You know? Because his name is Richard, which is often shortened to Dick, which makes it really funny that his last name is shortened to Rod. Hence, Dick Rod.
    The way he appeared to go-off on his rookie QB in front of the TV cameras, I prefer to call him Richard Cranial. Could RC be a Stoops cousin? Naw.... he's too calm.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,157 Founders Club
    Tailgater said:

The way he appeared to go-off on his rookie QB in front of the TV cameras, I prefer to call him Richard Cranial. Could RC be a Stoops cousin? Naw.... he's too calm.

Arizona did seem to get in the game for awhile after he did that. Its a fine line I guess. In 2013 it seems shocking. In 1973 its routine
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,971 Swaye's Wigwam
    Dick Rod's QB threw a duck across his body, right into a sea of purple, on the play where I really saw him flip out. I Guess the coach should have told him what a good try it was. Instead, he did what a coach above the junior high level might be expected to do, and said "if...(bunch of words) then DON'T....FUCKING....THROW IT!" Those last words were real easy to read on TV.

It seemed like pretty reasonable coaching of a highly paid athlete to me. This was the play that effectively ended any threat of a comeback for Arizona after all.