Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Doog Football?

TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
For certain I will be labeled a doog again for this post, but....... well, fuckit:

After watching the replay of Saturday's win over Arizona 31-13, I can only conclude that the 2013 Huskies are improving and that I believe cannot be disputed. On a nasty wet and windy day/evening in a crucial Pac-12 opener, UW made few mistakes or errors and even the penalties were significantly reduced.

For the second game this season (Illinois being the other), the passing part of Sark's offense struggled some in the first half and the coach's adjustment had the Huskies pounding the ball on the ground more until weather conditions improved into the second half. This seems to be a refreshing change from Sark's offensive strategy of previous seasons when the passing game not connecting meant throwing more incompletions until something worked.

It's only four games into the season, but the OL is obviously performing better in both pass protection blocking as well as run blocking, and seems to be a decent rotation of a couple of backup interior linemen with the five starters. Welcome to bigtime collegiate football! The OL can get better and that appears to be a possibility now as the season progresses.

Bishop Sankey is great as everybody knows and his backups are improved, especially Callier who if he's not careful will become a real threat when he get's the opportunity to give Sankey a breather. KP appears to have his game back and I'm sure the improved OL play is the major reason, but also the WR corp is improved. Could it be that the changes Sark made in the offensive position coaching at QB, RB, and WR are paying off?

A certain overrated TE largely hasn't shown up yet in four games and if he doesn't get his game turned on soon, the other TE's on UW's roster should get more PT. They appear cabable of blocking, running routes, getting open, and catching passes as well or better than the big future all-pro. Perhaps the TD he scored against Arizona will light his fire and he'll show up big next Saturday.

The Husky Defense? What can be said except that without a strong DL and with a LB corp that at times seems to disappear, Husky defenders are so far getting the job done against offenses that in the first four games obviously had weaknesses to exploit. Wilcox has some young talented very athletic defenders running around having fun and thus far keeping the other guy's score down even while still struggling at times to get out of drives.

The two interceptions against Arizona's rookie QB were obviously crucial, but when was the last time we watched a Husky free safety make a read to get in position for picking off an overthrown enemy pass early in a game? And you could just smell that our CB(Peters) was going to jump that wideout route for the pick late in the game.

the Husky Defense for whatever reason is so much better than it was not so long ago way back in 2011 when it was just about the worst in major college football. Never forget the Alamo, but are we ready for what the kid defenders will do if and when a Husky style defensive front shows-up to excite us again?

I assume we've all noticed how much better the kicking game has gotten. The punting against Arizona was a field position weapon and has our FG kicker missed yet./

Stanford is likely going to very tough on us down in Palo Alto on Saturday and there's little chance of sneaking up on the Tree to stealing a spray like the Huskies did last year. However, I will not be shocked if it's a close hard fought battle. As long as Stanford and that other ultra-rich small town team continue on top, the Pac-12 will never again be a marquee football conference. The worm must turn someday.

Comments

• TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

Doog

Thanks. Since I unsubscribed and don't have a search engine deep enough for dm.c, I must be a doog without portfolio.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    tl;draa but I did accidentally see this paragraph
    I assume we've all noticed how much better the kicking game has gotten. The punting against Arizona was a field position weapon and has our FG kicker missed yet.
    good poont
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    Not sure I agree with all of the post, but it's nice to read something of substance rather the one line zingers and inside jokes.

Most of what you said appears to be accurate with two exceptions:
    1- Way too soon to give the O line a passing grade. The lack of penalities from them against AZ is a huge improvement, however.

2- I'm not sold on the defense. Better? Yes, but how could they get any worse? If AZ had an average QB this would have been a close game.

And yes, Jenkins leaves much to be desired.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Not sure I agree with all of the post, but it's nice to read something of substance rather the one line zingers and inside jokes.

1- Way too soon to give the O line a passing grade. The lack of penalities from them against AZ is a huge improvement, however.

2- I'm not sold on the defense. Better? Yes, but how could they get any worse? If AZ had an average QB this would have been a close game.

Says the cheerleader.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,929

agreed re ASJ, but come the fuck on, Hartivgson and Hudson, who is now on the D line, are not taking PT away from him. you have a kid with that kind of talent who has proven it in the recent past, you keep going to him until he gets outta whatever funk he's in.

you can't teach 6'6" and a wingspan like a pterodactyl.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,272 Founders Club

agreed re ASJ, but come the fuck on, Hartivgson and Hudson, who is now on the D line, are not taking PT away from him. you have a kid with that kind of talent who has proven it in the recent past, you keep going to him until he gets outta whatever funk he's in.

Kavario Middelton says hello.
    Doesn't look much like a Husky Heritage Tyee to me, but I could be mistaken. What's that thing attached lazily to his left wrist? Could it be something he scavaged from the Clink?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Tailgater said:

Doesn't look much like a Husky Heritage Tyee to me, but I could be mistaken. What's that thing attached lazily to his left wrist? Could it be something he scavaged from the Clink?

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-vs-stanford/2013/9/28/4782200/wsu-vs-stanford-popcorn-guy-gif-fan

I was thinking of PT for Joshua Perkins and David Ajami. Hudson is playing a lot on the DL, but I'd swear I saw #80 out there lined up at TE once in a 2-TE set. At present, I don't see how the Husky offense shouldn't try to get along without #88, unless he picks his game up several notches.