Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

In "lol, no" news for today...

Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
edited August 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Was sexting with @CokeGreaterThanPepsi and noticed that UCLA had not sold out a home game since 1988 (when they played SC whose fans are in the same city).

To be clear, the metro pop of LA is 13 mil. Seattle 4 mil.

Also, another great UCLA moment... in '88 they were ranked first with a clear shot at the Natty (their first in what would've been 32 years at that point!), the eventual #1 pick and Heisman favorite (Troy Donahue)... and they lost to WSU at home.

A couple weeks later, they lost to USC at home. That was their last Rose Bowl sell-out. And Barry Sanders won the Heisman.

Best QB ever at UCLA was named Troy.

Welcome to UCLA football.

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,533
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And yet Mora was celebrating in our empty fucking stadium like it was 2014, because it was.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's hard to sell out a stadium with a capacity in the 95-100k range ...

But seriously, that's beyond shocking. I'd have maybe believed the numbers IF you said it was for non-USC games ... but including USC??? Wow, just wow.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited August 2016
    Tequilla said:

But seriously, that's beyond shocking. I'd have maybe believed the numbers IF you said it was for non-USC games ... but including USC??? Wow, just wow.

It's not hard if you're in... KNOXVILLE, TN! They seem to do it regularly. Same with Ann Arbor, Meetchicken.

The funny thing was I was browsing through their attendance and sometimes was like, 'oh, they finally sold it out against Tennessee! Oh... wait that was an away game. Oh, there's one against Mich... no, that was away, too.'

The population of the entire state of TENN is 6.5mil. Michigan is 10mil. LA's metro area is 13mil.

Also: there are currently 43k UCLA students. 28k at UTK.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    It's also 26+ miles from campus to the Rose Bowl. Google Maps says it takes 31 minutes. Sure, at 3am.

If UCLA had a 90K stadium near/on campus like USC instead of a lousy place to try to drive to on a Saturday like bumfuck Pasadena, they'd have had several sellouts since 1988.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    BearsWiin said:

It's also 26+ miles from campus to the Rose Bowl. Google Maps says it takes 31 minutes. Sure, at 3am.

If UCLA had a 90K stadium near/on campus like USC instead of a lousy place to try to drive to on a Saturday like bumfuck Pasadena, they'd have had several sellouts since 1988.

Disagree
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

It's not hard if you're in... KNOXVILLE, TN! They seem to do it regularly. Same with Ann Arbor, Meetchicken.

The funny thing was I was browsing through their attendance and sometimes was like, 'oh, they finally sold it out against Tennessee! Oh... wait that was an away game. Oh, there's one against Mich... no, that was away, too.'

The population of the entire state of TENN is 6.5mil. Michigan is 10mil. LA's metro area is 13mil.

Also: there are currently 43k UCLA students. 28k at UTK.
    I only voted you down instead of giving you a WTF because of the quality of your research.

If you couldn't tell that my first statement regarding the capacity was a whoosh ... you should pour yourself another drink
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Riveting.

Chinteresting
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The 88 bRuins were unbeaten heading into the coogit game thanks to a horrible call against our DAWGS
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    edited August 2016
    1998 >>> 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtw1UvQ2oJ4

(This was also the game where Reuben Droughns broke his leg)
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    We've also led the conference in attendance the past few years, but still...
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

We've also led the conference in attendance the past few years, but still...

NOC
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    UCLA is a fag school. lulz
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

What the fuck Tequilla. I listened to your podcast you sound like a good guy but WTF.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Swaye said:

UCLA is a fag school. lulz

With fag posters
    They are the Washington of the South