Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

General Thoughts

1. It was wet

2. Defense played very physical, especially the middle of the line. Any time you can hold Carey to 4.4 avg with a long carry of 13 yards it is a good night. Every game (except Stanford) last year he had at least 1 carry of 15 yards or more. Decker is pretty bad, but the secondary was all over their receivers and their was not much room to throw the ball. I hope we go down to Stanford, fill up the box, put Peters on Montgomery and make Hogan beat us over the top.

3. Keith Price played like a SR QB. The numbers might not show it, but he did not let the mistakes get into his head and he did a great job managing the game when it counted.

4. Sankey is still a major stud. I usually get fired up by big hits on D, but I think he delivered some of the biggest blows of the night.

5. Glad to see we actually went to a "big" package in the RZ.

6. How many pts have we left on the field in the 1st 4 games? I like the run/pass mix, but something is just not clicking with this unit.
I know the conditions were terrible, but we only got 1 ball to Mickens/Ross, and the slot guys have been a huge part of the offense in the first 3 games.

Just like the Illinois game, I feel a little dirty after this win.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I feel a little less dirty after each win, but the season starts next week. Hopefully, it does not end where it starts.
  • 1. It was wet

2. Defense played very physical, especially the middle of the line. Any time you can hold Carey to 4.4 avg with a long carry of 13 yards it is a good night. Every game (except Stanford) last year he had at least 1 carry of 15 yards or more. Decker is pretty bad, but the secondary was all over their receivers and their was not much room to throw the ball. I hope we go down to Stanford, fill up the box, put Peters on Montgomery and make Hogan beat us over the top.

3. Keith Price played like a SR QB. The numbers might not show it, but he did not let the mistakes get into his head and he did a great job managing the game when it counted.

4. Sankey is still a major stud. I usually get fired up by big hits on D, but I think he delivered some of the biggest blows of the night.

6. How many pts have we left on the field in the 1st 4 games? I like the run/pass mix, but something is just not clicking with this unit.
    I know the conditions were terrible, but we only got 1 ball to Mickens/Ross, and the slot guys have been a huge part of the offense in the first 3 games.

Sark gets in his own way. I'll give him credit his recruits look to be paying off as this team looks really talented.

Still don't think he can lead this team to 10 wins. I hope I'm wrong. We'll find out a lot about this team in the next three games.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,108

1. It was wet

This is the elephant in the room and why the hurry up offense under Sark is truly a gimmick, unlike with Oregon. I just checked the Oregon stats. Mariota has barely over 100 yards passing and is at 45% completions and they have one RB (Marshall) who is over 100 yards. And yet they have 55 fucking points. Sark's team can put up 600 all purpose yards and barely get to 30 points.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    To all the people that say just ENJOY 4-0, if UW loses 5 or 6 games you won't even remember 4-0 happened. You are pouring gasoline over your head instead.
    jecornel said:

To all the people that say just ENJOY 4-0, if UW loses 5 or 6 games you won't even remember 4-0 happened. You are pouring gasoline over your head instead.

You act like 4-0 never happened.

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

1. It was wet

This is the elephant in the room and why the hurry up offense under Sark is truly a gimmick, unlike with Oregon. I just checked the Oregon stats. Mariota has barely over 100 yards passing and is at 45% completions and they have one RB (Marshall) who is over 100 yards. And yet they have 55 fucking points. Sark's team can put up 600 all purpose yards and barely get to 30 points.
    The lack of points is very frustrating. This may be Oregon's best overall team and I think they will crush us.

For some reason I have not given up the Stanford game. I will be pissed if we sit back in a soft D and let them run the ball. I would rather they go out on their sword by stacking the box then let Hogan try and beat us. Outside of beating up on the Coogs, Hogan has been at best a good game manager.
  • I think 4-0 is a good thing(water is wet I know) because it's going to raise expectations.

I don't see how Sark can survive going 7-6 after a 4-0 start. I think even the Doogs would want him gone.

I'm going to wait and see the next three weeks. Sark in the past would lose these next three games with 2-3 plunger rapings.

Hopefully this year is different.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Here's my general thoughts....

Stanford is really fucking good and looks like UW from the early 90s. That doesn't bode well for UW next week. Arizona game was meaningless. We'll struggle to put up more than 20 on Stanford.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

1. It was wet

The lack of points is very frustrating. This may be Oregon's best overall team and I think they will crush us.

For some reason I have not given up the Stanford game. I will be pissed if we sit back in a soft D and let them run the ball. I would rather they go out on their sword by stacking the box then let Hogan try and beat us. Outside of beating up on the Coogs, Hogan has been at best a good game manager.
    Ho. Lee. Shit.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Good stuff Irish. My problem with Price is, as a senior QB you must sustain drives too. Its good to throw the ball away if everything breaks down, but Price HAS to make things happen on 3rd down too. That one 3rd where he immediately threw in the grass was awful.

Against Oregon that's 7 points the other way. Sustaining drives and scoring IS FUCKING CRUCIAL. Oregon would have beat us by 40 points today. If Price wants to win the North, he NEEDS to create plays where there are none on his 2nd read.

I'm very worried about this inconsistent offense. Oregon, Stanford score almost every drive . We score a td at a 30% clip (rough estimate) Price NEEDS to keep drives alive. We get in a fired-up hurry to go three and out

Good stuff Irish. My problem with Price is, as a senior QB you must sustain drives too. Its good to throw the ball away if everything breaks down, but Price HAS to make things happen on 3rd down too. That one 3rd where he immediately threw in the grass was awful.

Against Oregon that's 7 points the other way. Sustaining drives and scoring IS FUCKING CRUCIAL. Oregon would have beat us by 40 points today. If Price wants to win the North, he NEEDS to create plays where there are none on his 2nd read.

I'm very worried about this inconsistent offense. Oregon, Stanford score almost every drive . We score a td at a 30% clip (rough estimate) Price NEEDS to keep drives alive. We get in a fired-up hurry to go three and out

+1.

Price just doesn't have any improvisational skills anymore. If you'd have told me that after 2011 I would have never believed you.
  • Good stuff Irish. My problem with Price is, as a senior QB you must sustain drives too. Its good to throw the ball away if everything breaks down, but Price HAS to make things happen on 3rd down too. That one 3rd where he immediately threw in the grass was awful.

You mean when Sark called a fucktarded WR screen to Kevin Smith and AZ sniffed it out so Price did the smart thing by throwing it into the grass?

Price isn't the problem and played really well in the second half. This is a game UW probably loses if let's say Locker was the QB.
    And I forgot, Coons gets the S/T game ball.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Arizona's punter would have taken it, but he couldn't hold on to it.

That guy was a one man dreckfest.
  • Coons hit a 40 yarder in a rain storm and then had one great punt after another pinning them down there one resulted in two points for the Huskies.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I can't remember a punter having as good of day as Coons. All 5 punts inside the 20, at least 3 inside the 10.
    edited September 2013

Arizona's punter would have taken it, but he couldn't hold on to it.

That guy was a one man dreckfest.
    So much for Rich Rod soaking his, oops, I mean the practice balls in water all week.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    dnc said:

Price just doesn't have any improvisational skills anymore.

UW's first TD yesterday was a very nice improvisational play.