Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW OL -- reason for optimism?

Comments

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    2 of the 21 OL who received 1st team, 2nd team or HM recognition were underclassmen. 1 was a true sophomore (Mama) and 1 was a redshirt sophomore (Madison), both of whom were HM. Dawgs started a True Freshman and a RS Freshman at OT, backed up by a RS Sophomore.

At the Guard/Center position, it was a RS Soph (Shelton), RS Freshman (Boomer), RS Junior (Brostek), and RS Senior (Tufunga).

Dawgs in 1991/1992 OL:

SR, Ed Cunningham 3rd Round Pick in 1992
    SR, Siupeli Malamala 3rd Round Pick in 1992
    JR, Lincoln Kennedy, JR 1st Round Pick in 1993
    SR, Kris Rongren, 11th Round Pick in 1992
    Not sure who the other Guard was (Kaligis?)

Developing OL talent and depth takes more than a couple of years, regardless of whether or not the ADD dumbfucks on this bored see that or not. The OL will be better, but in my opinion, not at a natty level. But getting closer.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I expect that the UW will have at least one member of the OL at least make honorable mention this year ... I would expect that we'll have at least 2 get recognition.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

AEB said:

I'm as optimistic on next year as the next Doog, but when I put the Molly down I realize the OL is still too young. If they're top 3, great. However, nothing last year would suggest they're top 3 in '16. Put another way, the DL had their way in the Spring.

DL will arguably be the best in the conference ... it will help to build up the OL on a daily basis.

The OL doesn't have to be the best in the conference or really even Top 3. The offense doesn't need to be that either. It needs to be upper half and then everything upwards from that is gravy.
    House Money POTD
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

AEB said:

I'm as optimistic on next year as the next Doog, but when I put the Molly down I realize the OL is still too young. If they're top 3, great. However, nothing last year would suggest they're top 3 in '16. Put another way, the DL had their way in the Spring.

For the 15th year in a row

^ should be the new HHB motto lol
    OKG
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

I expect that the UW will have at least one member of the OL at least make honorable mention this year ... I would expect that we'll have at least 2 get recognition.

By day's end, your poast will probably be festooned with WTF's... but I do think your point is reasonable.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

We fucking suck. We Lost to Cal. We'll always lose to Cal

fixed
  • Options
    Sark never lost to Cal.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Sark never lost to Cal.

The Wazzu and (unranked) Oregon State team he lost to were worse than Cal
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,470
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sark never lost to Cal.

The Wazzu and (unranked) Oregon State team he lost to were worse than Cal
    WHOOOOOSH

5-4 > 4-5
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I think you have to look at the UW offense last year as the kids getting some baptism by fire in the first half of the season and then performing relatively well over the second half of the season.

The hardest spot for freshman to come in and play is on the lines and we asked Adams to play LT as a true Frosh and McGary to play over there as a true frosh. If you go back and look at the Boise game last year, the lines clearly struggled with not only the physicality but also the general speed of the game. The ability to run the ball during the 2nd half of the season was visible in basically every single game but against Boise a 5 yard run was massive.

Over the second part of the season there was far more balance in both the run and pass game and the amount of pressure on Browning went significantly down as he was getting better protection.

The OL doesn't need to be the best in the conference for us to win the North. What it needs to be is growing off of what it did the 2nd half of last year and ensure that the offense can put up 30+ points on a regular basis and in particular getting into the upper 20's and low 30's against the Stanford, Oregon, and USC trio and then allowing the defense to do their thing.

You mean the last 5 games in which you predicted we'd go 4-1 at worst? Relatively well compared to that benchmark?

Keep moving the goalposts.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Not a single one of those guys made all conference OR honorable mention even though plenty of game tape exists. This is a concern with a young QB and RB

So the standard now for 3 OL that were in one form or another freshman last year that since they didn't make the all conference team (or honorable mention) that hey must not be very good?

Some are looking for anything possible to discredit this team heading into the year.
    Step back from the ledge, man!

Don't twist.

5 guys with game tape + 3 years (+) in the program x zero in the top 20 in the conference = a concern... an unknown... a space where doogism can grow like mold if left unchecked... Not, the end the the world.

I'm doogin for 1st place PacN... or did you forget?

BTW, Leach had 2 "young" OL Pac HM ... that apparently, are not too young... One of them from Kennedy Catholic. Peterman fucked that one up. Even at BSU he should have had that kid in his sights.
    #mylancers
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Not a single one of those guys made all conference OR honorable mention even though plenty of game tape exists. This is a concern with a young QB and RB

So the standard now for 3 OL that were in one form or another freshman last year that since they didn't make the all conference team (or honorable mention) that hey must not be very good?

Some are looking for anything possible to discredit this team heading into the year.
    Some realize this team and program fucking suck until proven otherwise.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The OL should be decent, but I doubt they are too 3. They are a middle of the conference unit. Imo, they are a year away from vein genuinely good.

If Browning and the OL aren't top 3 in the conference, this team will be the same as it has always been.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Hot take: If Adams can stay healthy, he could win the Morris Trophy. This year. He's already twice (half?) the player Banner is.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I need to start marking threads where the usual suspects go full nega
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I need to start marking threads where the usual suspects go full nega

Take the gloves off first.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

By day's end, your poast will probably be festooned with WTF's... but I do think your point is reasonable.
    I need to know what the fuck festooned means before judging this post.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,470
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I need to start mixing bleach in with my liquid courage