Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW OL -- reason for optimism?

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Projected starters:

LT 72 Adams, Trey SO
LG 52 Eldrenkamp, Jake SR
OC 79 Shelton, Coleman JR
RG 75 Sosebee, Jesse RS SO
RT 58 McGary, Kaleb RS SO

2nd string:

LT 71 James, Matt RS SO
LG 67 Kneip, Michael SR
OC 60 Brostek, Shane SR
RG 59 Roberts, Henry RS FR
RT 73 Kirkland, Andrew JR

Unquestionably there's solid experience, depth and talent. Probably the best in 12+ years. What are your expectations for this group? Top 3 in conference in rushing + protection? In another thread I saw some posters state that OL is the biggest question mark going into the season. I don't see it. Unless Strausser is a complete bust in the Cozzetto mold -- and he isn't (on the field, anyway) -- this unit should be a strength.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Top 3 in conference definitely. Great defense, plus very good OL = don't fuck this up Pete.
  • Options
    MikeMonanMikeMonan Member Posts: 57
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2016
    The O Line looked good during lean and mean during spring practice. All have served the time needed in the weight room!

None got any post season awards due to the lack of domination of the defense. Their play was pretty solid for their experience.

Coach Stausser is a good coach, he will have them ready to play. They had a few injuries during the spring so some others got some good reps.

Should be able to lead the way to another 1000yds+ Rusher

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Not a single one of those guys made all conference OR honorable mention even though plenty of game tape exists. This is a concern with a young QB and RB

So the standard now for 3 OL that were in one form or another freshman last year that since they didn't make the all conference team (or honorable mention) that hey must not be very good?

Some are looking for anything possible to discredit this team heading into the year.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    MikeMonan said:

The O Line looked good during lean and mean during spring practice. All have served the time needed in the weight room!

None got any post season awards due to the lack of domination of the defense. Their play was pretty solid for their experience.

Coach Stausser is a good coach, he will have them ready to play. They had a few injuries during the spring so some others got some good reps.

Should be able to lead the way to another 1000yds+ Rusher

Good stuff. I hope you're right.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,488
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How many Top 5 draft picks??
  • Options
    I think you have to look at the UW offense last year as the kids getting some baptism by fire in the first half of the season and then performing relatively well over the second half of the season.

The hardest spot for freshman to come in and play is on the lines and we asked Adams to play LT as a true Frosh and McGary to play over there as a true frosh. If you go back and look at the Boise game last year, the lines clearly struggled with not only the physicality but also the general speed of the game. The ability to run the ball during the 2nd half of the season was visible in basically every single game but against Boise a 5 yard run was massive.

Over the second part of the season there was far more balance in both the run and pass game and the amount of pressure on Browning went significantly down as he was getting better protection.

The OL doesn't need to be the best in the conference for us to win the North. What it needs to be is growing off of what it did the 2nd half of last year and ensure that the offense can put up 30+ points on a regular basis and in particular getting into the upper 20's and low 30's against the Stanford, Oregon, and USC trio and then allowing the defense to do their thing.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Hmm not sure I agree Teq. Let's look at the second half of last year:

The only games where I'd say the offense performed at or near its full potential were Arizona and Southern Miss. Remember, three of the TDs against WSU were by our* defense. Our* offense consistently shat all over itself that game. As did our* ST -- remember all those missed FGs?

Stanford game was a disgrace, backup or no.
    Arizona we seem to always slaughter at home regardless of circumstance.
    Utah the O horrendously underperformed.
    ASU was the most frustrating offensive game I've probably ever seen, so no.
    Oregon State is Oregon State.

There have been many studies that highlight how important combined starts along the OL is towards a team's offensive success. That alone warrants some degree of optimism for sure. I think the latter half of 2015 was less our* offense coming together and more the competition getting worse and Jake not being a shellshocked 18 year old.
  • Options
    The part that I feel like you are underestimating is the impact of what a young offense is going to make plenty of ... and that's mistakes. The sign of an experienced team, player, etc. is that they have the ability to execute the nuances of the game. For an offense, that's converting on 3rd down and converting drives into points notably TDs.

The production of the offense in the last 6 games of the year was strong ... I don't really pay too much attention to the Stanford game as that was the big outlier last year for obvious reasons.

Offensive yards (total, rush, pass) in each game:

Arizona: 468, 201, 267
    Utah: 381, 124, 257
    Arizona St: 547, 142, 405
    Oregon St: 482, 271, 211
    Washington St: 443, 240, 203
    Southern Miss: 580, 296, 284

By far the best defense that we played of that bunch was Utah and we put up 381 on them in a game if I recall correctly was played in some rain and wasn't the best of weather games. If this team puts up over 400 yards of offense consistently this year, then I would expect that we're going to see a team that wins 10+ games.

The problem was finishing drives and turnovers (see ASU) ... but the ability to produce is there. They just need to clean things up (read: grow up a bit) and they'll be fine.
  • Options

We fucking suck.

Go back to drinking your 15 minutes to make cocktails that nobody has ever heard of
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm as optimistic on next year as the next Doog, but when I put the Molly down I realize the OL is still too young. If they're top 3, great. However, nothing last year would suggest they're top 3 in '16. Put another way, the DL had their way in the Spring.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    PurpleJ said:

How many Top 5 draft picks??

The O/U is 5
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    AEB said:

I'm as optimistic on next year as the next Doog, but when I put the Molly down I realize the OL is still too young. If they're top 3, great. However, nothing last year would suggest they're top 3 in '16. Put another way, the DL had their way in the Spring.

For the 15th year in a row
  • Options
    AEB said:

DL will arguably be the best in the conference ... it will help to build up the OL on a daily basis.

The OL doesn't have to be the best in the conference or really even Top 3. The offense doesn't need to be that either. It needs to be upper half and then everything upwards from that is gravy.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Tequilla said:

Not a single one of those guys made all conference OR honorable mention even though plenty of game tape exists. This is a concern with a young QB and RB

So the standard now for 3 OL that were in one form or another freshman last year that since they didn't make the all conference team (or honorable mention) that hey must not be very good?

Some are looking for anything possible to discredit this team heading into the year.
    Step back from the ledge, man!

Don't twist.

5 guys with game tape + 3 years (+) in the program x zero in the top 20 in the conference = a concern... an unknown... a space where doogism can grow like mold if left unchecked... Not, the end the the world.

I'm doogin for 1st place PacN... or did you forget?

BTW, Leach had 2 "young" OL Pac HM ... that apparently, are not too young... One of them from Kennedy Catholic. Peterman fucked that one up. Even at BSU he should have had that kid in his sights.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

We fucking suck.

No, they're just another year away. Like always.