Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Woof

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

#BrowningSirmonBuffer

This is FS. Browning and Sirmon are three years apart and of course Browning didn't redshirt. So they may not even overlap at all.

We need to hit on our QB this year. Relying on the freshman Messiah to come in and save the day is not a reliable strategy.
    I agree with you, but browning will be here through the 2018 season.

Sirmon will get on campus in January of 2018, redshirt that year and be ready hopefully as a RS-frosh in 2019.

Like I said, I agree that this QB recruiting stuff is bullshit but it's not like we'd have a true frosh we need to rely on.
    Browning staying and Sirmon making it to campus are both more likely than not but neither is 100% certain either.
    If anything, this commitment gives Sirmon even more reason to come here since the starting job should be his pretty early on. Bridge-Gadd and Haener are now just insurance policies.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The '17 QB was always going to be an ins policy. DBG will be decent, and will nicely bridge Browning to Sirmon. Recruits watch each other, look at depth charts, want early PT. There are better indictments of Smith than this recruiting cycle.
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    I actually like this guy. Insurance policy yes, but you never know
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    None of this matters unless we win big this year.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2016
    chuck said:

Some people are a little too caught up in stars and offers. Watch the film. He's not an NFL prospect (small), but he's mobile, has a solid arm, solid mechanics, and looks pretty fucking good all around. Guys like this can tear it up in college. I don't give a fuck if we never recruit another NFL QB as long as he finds someone that can throw the ball to the guys in black and lavender and khaki and white.

One thing I like about his film over almost all HS QB films I've seen is how often he throws the ball hard. Too much touch pass shit going on in most QB films. Most any hack can throw it up for wide open receivers to run under, or swerve to, or stop for etc. All those lobs don't tell you if they have the knack for hitting a guy in stride when the defense forces you to throw hard.

Great thanks for the scouting report.

If Smith stumbled into a diamond in the rough again this year then great.

The concern is that this makes two years in a row that Smith had no discernible plan for recruiting the QB position and offered and missed on nearly every big prospect on the west coast.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TTJ said:

The '17 QB was always going to be an ins policy. DBG will be decent, and will nicely bridge Browning to Sirmon. Recruits watch each other, look at depth charts, want early PT. There are better indictments of Smith than this recruiting cycle.

Recruits also watch who their coaches are going to be.

I could list a litany of examples of highly coveted QB recruits committing to programs with more crowded depth charts than UW. Elite schools with elite coaching staffs take an elite QB prospect every year. A good recruiter can always sell an opportunity no matter how small.

When we ended up with Derrick Brown in 2011 it was OK because we had Montana from 2010 and Lindquist coming in behind (and later Cyler.) Where would the program be if we had signed Mariota or Hundley? Probably still 7-6 but fuck....
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer

I don't actually care about how good the kid is, I just want Smith fired

Interesting that this offer went out while Tedford was in town ....
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Some people are a little too caught up in stars and offers. Watch the film. He's not an NFL prospect (small), but he's mobile, has a solid arm, solid mechanics, and looks pretty fucking good all around. Guys like this can tear it up in college. I don't give a fuck if we never recruit another NFL QB as long as he finds someone that can throw the ball to the guys in black and lavender and khaki and white.

One thing I like about his film over almost all HS QB films I've seen is how often he throws the ball hard. Too much touch pass shit going on in most QB films. Most any hack can throw it up for wide open receivers to run under, or swerve to, or stop for etc. All those lobs don't tell you if they have the knack for hitting a guy in stride when the defense forces you to throw hard.

The concern is that this makes two years in a row that Smith had no discernible plan for recruiting the QB position and offered and missed on nearly every big prospect on the west coast.
    Fuck you it wasn't a scouting report. Just my quick assessment and an attempt at objectivity to temper the uproar that occurs every time someone that USC didn't offer commits to UW.

But you're absolutely right about Smith. No argument from me there. He's a liability in every aspect.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Fuck you it wasn't a scouting report. Just my quick assessment and an attempt at objectivity to temper the uproar that occurs every time someone that USC didn't offer commits to UW.

But you're absolutely right about Smith. No argument from me there. He's a liability in every aspect.
    Didn't mean to be in sarcasm mode sorry chuck. Your observations are appreciated.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Just watched the film and can say, coach Pete definitely got the next Kellen Moore. Slightly undersized, accurate passer, cerebral.

#obligatory
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Didn't mean to be in sarcasm mode sorry chuck. Your observations are appreciated.
    Haha no worries. The fuck you wasn't really called for. Except that posting on this site does actually call for for it. Pretty sure it's in the rules.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AEB said:

Just watched the film and can say, coach Pete definitely got the next Kellen Moore. Slightly undersized, accurate passer, cerebral.

#obligatory

If he came in a darker shade, he'd be the next Keith Price
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

AEB said:

#obligatory

If he came in a darker shade, he'd be the next Keith Price
    I thought of Price too, but then realized that's impossible. He looks like QB with some athleticism, rather than an athlete learning to play QB. More of a cerebral, lunch pail, gym rat type. Plus something else was just different about him that I couldn't put my finger on.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    AEB said:

#obligatory

Is he a guy that you'd let your daughter date? A real film-room junkie with so many intangibles?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It doesn't matter what Smith thinks ... I'd be shocked if he ever coached this kid or Sirmon
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795

I could list a litany of examples of highly coveted QB recruits committing to programs with more crowded depth charts than UW. Elite schools with elite coaching staffs take an elite QB prospect every year. A good recruiter can always sell an opportunity no matter how small.

When we ended up with Derrick Brown in 2011 it was OK because we had Montana from 2010 and Lindquist coming in behind (and later Cyler.) Where would the program be if we had signed Mariota or Hundley? Probably still 7-6 but fuck....

And if UW didn't have Browning, it probably would have landed Eason. And then maybe missed on Sirmon down the line.

Look, it'd be great if UW was one of those programs that could sign a 5-star QB every single year. It's not -- not yet, anyway.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

TTJ said:

"Elite" QB recruits are a fantasy born in the heads of experts like Barton, Grinnolds, Fetters, etc. then repeated by lazy bloggers until they've convinced themselves of their genius.

Montana, Lindquist, Miles, Brown... NONE of them were elite. NONE of them were even mediocre. ALL of them stole a spot on the roster and held the team back.
  • Options
    TTJ said:

And if UW didn't have Browning, it probably would have landed Eason. And then maybe missed on Sirmon down the line.

Look, it'd be great if UW was one of those programs that could sign a 5-star QB every single year. It's not -- not yet, anyway.
    Probably not and probably not but anyways....

There is a wide chasm between landing 5* QBs every single year and whiffing on your top 8-10 targets not once but two years in a row.