Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Love Timu's comment.

UW’s John Timu: ‘We know how to be average, and that’s what we’re trying to avoid’

You certainly do, John. In fairness, I think Timu has really improved under Peter Sirmon and Wilcox. Some other positions on the team? Not so much.

Link: blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/?from=stnv2

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    "We know how to be average."

I could see that replacing "Retake Montlake" soon!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109
    LBs and secondary have improved greatly with the new staff. D line not so much. Frankly I haven't seen anything in recruiting or on field play that has come anywhere close to warranting the Tosh Lupoi mythos
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    ^ Sadly, I agree. Timu's improvement has been one of the cooler storylines on this team. The DL continues to underwhelm. I pray Shelton can stay healthy because without him we'd be seriously fucked.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Gladstone said:

^ Sadly, I agree. Timu's improvement has been one of the cooler storylines on this team. The DL continues to underwhelm. I pray Shelton can stay healthy because without him we'd be seriously fucked.

no shit?
  • chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627

LBs and secondary have improved greatly with the new staff. D line not so much. Frankly I haven't seen anything in recruiting or on field play that has come anywhere close to warranting the Tosh Lupoi mythos

Uh, last year's DL class was bananas. Not sure how that didn't live up to your expectations.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Why should we believe anything that is said. Just play. Results will speak for themselves. You can go back years and find quotes about how things chnaged, how they "get it", how losing is unacceptable, etc.

Here is a great one from Sept 2011:
    "I trust Nick Holt," Sarkisian said. "I believe in Nick Holt. I believe in our defensive staff. They are tremendous coaches. I've seen them coach for years. And we will get better."
    No one in the program has any credibility. Shut up and play.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Uh, last year's DL class was bananas. Not sure how that didn't live up to your expectations.

Yep, even without Hall, it was the best DL class I can remember getting. I think the DL is improved this year as well with Kikaha back.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

It was light on the interior DLs. We need a young Danny Shelton coming up the ranks, and we don't have him. Elijah Qualls is the only interior guy we got, and the jury is out on him. We should be bringing in 2 quality interior DLs per year.
  • Why should we believe anything that is said. Just play. Results will speak for themselves. You can go back years and find quotes about how things chnaged, how they "get it", how losing is unacceptable, etc.

"I trust Nick Holt," Sarkisian said. "I believe in Nick Holt. I believe in our defensive staff. They are tremendous coaches. I've seen them coach for years. And we will get better."

It's a shame our media never holds these guys to those statements. Like when Holt was fired, someone ask Sark "just three months ago you said he was a tremendous and you believed in them. What changed in only three months?"
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club

Why should we believe anything that is said. Just play. Results will speak for themselves. You can go back years and find quotes about how things chnaged, how they "get it", how losing is unacceptable, etc.

It's a shame our media never holds these guys to those statements. Like when Holt was fired, someone ask Sark "just three months ago you said he was a tremendous and you believed in them. What changed in only three months?"

The media is pathetic in that regard. In NY, Boston, Philly, Chicago etc. they actually ask tough questions. Here Softy asks Sark mindless softballs and tells his audience what a great guy Gilbertson was and how we should forget 2004.

Divish Seems like a frat boy who's in his eighth yr. of college, brah. He plays around on Twitter, Alex Akita is his bff, and he wears those douchey untucked dress shirts and other metrosexual apparel.

Maybe Jude is actually good, but probably not.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109

I didn't say that last years class, sucked,in fact, it was a very solid class but it was nowhere near what many expected when we brought in "the best recruiter in the country". Let's take an objective look at the "recruiting" that went on.

1) our top commit, Daeshon Hall, jumped ship at the last minute after being a commit for months and months, having ties to Seattle, and having an uncle who is a Husky Legend
    2) Our top target, Vanderdoes, chose to go elsewhere. Not saying this means Tosh sucks at recruiting, just "being in the running" is not why we brought him in
    3) Marcus Farria and Joe Mathis are VERY good prospects that many other teams wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole due to grade issues. Farria's only other commitable offer was to Arizona, while Mathis's only other commitable offer was to Utah. Again, very good pickups but doogs like to say "Mathis picked UW over Alabama and Farria picked UW over Notre Dame". Not anywhere near the reality of things
    4) Andrew Basham had offers from no one and will never play a down for UW. If he does, the team GPA will drop by a whole point.
    5) The legendary "St. T*** D** M*******" (Sorry I can't stoop to the level of idiocy to actually type that our). The two best players decommitted, one's scholarship was dropped because he sucked, and one was Basham.

To reiterate, I'm not saying Tosh sucks at recruiting and I know he had a hand with some of the other players we brought in but that's pretty average work when you come in as highly touted as a recruiter as he did. I think he's finding it a lot harder to recruit at UW than he did at Cal.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I didn't say that last years class, sucked,in fact, it was a very solid class but it was nowhere near what many expected when we brought in "the best recruiter in the country". Let's take an objective look at the "recruiting" that went on.

1) our top commit, Daeshon Hall, jumped ship at the last minute after being a commit for months and months, having ties to Seattle, and having an uncle who is a Husky Legend
    2) Our top target, Vanderdoes, chose to go elsewhere. Not saying this means Tosh sucks at recruiting, just "being in the running" is not why we brought him in
    3) Marcus Farria and Joe Mathis are VERY good prospects that many other teams wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole due to grade issues. Farria's only other commitable offer was to Arizona, while Mathis's only other commitable offer was to Utah. Again, very good pickups but doogs like to say "Mathis picked UW over Alabama and Farria picked UW over Notre Dame". Not anywhere near the reality of things
    4) Andrew Basham had offers from no one and will never play a down for UW. If he does, the team GPA will drop by a whole point.
    5) The legendary "St. T*** D** M*******" (Sorry I can't stoop to the level of idiocy to actually type that our). The two best players decommitted, one's scholarship was dropped because he sucked, and one was Basham.

To reiterate, I'm not saying Tosh sucks at recruiting and I know he had a hand with some of the other players we brought in but that's pretty average work when you come in as highly touted as a recruiter as he did. I think he's finding it a lot harder to recruit at UW than he did at Cal.

I have no qualms with Tosh the recruiter. That DL class was far and away above any we've had in years before he arrived. I noticed you didn't mention Qualls at all. I also question where you got the idea Mathis had no other committable offers but Utah. Farria was definitely a massive grade risk.

Tosh the recruiter delivered last year IMO. Tosh the coach still has a lot to prove.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Timu is a stud.

Tosh has been average at best in recruiting when you compare it to the "hype".

I do subscribe to the "must get" philosophy and Hall was an MG.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2013
    Good post DNC. Tosh's recruiting has already paid dividends. I know Wilcox played a large role in Shaq's recruiting, but I don't know if he leaves Cal if Tosh stayed. I think we needed the abundance of Wilcox and Tosh to get him to UW. Now, it is time to see if Tosh can coach the DL. The truth is, if he pulls in DL classes like last year's every year, he doesn't need to be much better than average. Losing Hall sucked, obviously Vanderdoes is a beast, but we haven't had a DL class as good as last year's for a very long time.

I know some teams backed off Mathis, but I doubt only Utah would take him. That seems like a stretch. Also, who gives a fuck if Basham drops our team GPA? We need big DT's, and he fits the bill. It doesn't seem like we will ever see him, but he didn't have no offers. He was a decent regional recruit who didn't get much attention because of grades. Talent wise, he was a nice prospect.
  • Tosh landed us Shaq but you are right bout.

Tosh like every other UW coach is more sizzle than steak. Hi Kim!