Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Coaching is everything.

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Everything!

All of the doog excuses I see on various boards drive me nuts. Excuses are for losers. It’s clear why we haven’t won since 2000. Bad coaches. The end. Did you know Oklahoma went through four coaches in nine years until they found Stoops? Notre Dame went through lowly Davie, Willingham, and Weis until they landed Brian Kelly. Despite all of its inherent advantages in location, tradition, and culture -- USC was awful in the years before Carrol and awful after him. Why has Miami been bad recently? Alabama was bad before Saban and went through three coaches in ten years. The difference between UW and all those programs is that people accepted the fucking doog excuses: he needs more time. Buy into the system. The culture of college football has changed. Be happy we're even in the conversation.

I always respected ND for firing Willingham knowing full well the PC backlash would be enormous. He was the only coach in their history who couldn't recruit and was famous for disappearing on golf courses for hours on end. One story in particular: they had a top recruit waiting in Willingham's office for six fucking hours and their AD had to personally go to the golf course and drag Willignham back to campus.

VTech was a perennial doormat until Beamer arrived. Jim Harbaugh turned a bunch of soft, finesse Stanford kids into the meanest, toughest SOBs in the land. Those Stanford teams were on par with Willingham's UW squads before Harbaugh arrived.

With the exception of Frank Beamer, every current top CFB coach (source: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-09/college-football-coach-rankings-nick-saban-chris-petersen-urban-meyer-les-miles) proved they were tier 1 by their fourth year. I measured tier 1 by BCS bowl and/or national championship and/or conference championship and/or .700% winning.

I hope I am proven wrong, but Sark would be a huge outlier if he managed to turn us into a consistent BCS-contending team.

Comments

• Options
    Sark won't ever turn us into that because he doesn't recruit or develop lineman worth a shit.

You are right coaching is everything. Look at Florida with Spurrier then with Zook then back with Meyer to now.

Granted some schools have more built in advantages than others but UW should never have had the decade we just had.

If UW hired a top notch coach with our resources, talent and advantages we'd be in the RB within 3 years I truly believe that.

Doogs need to wake up and realize its all coaching. Sark is average, Ty was a bum, so was Gilby yet they were in denial the entire time.

• Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

Everything!

All of the doog excuses I see on various boards drive me nuts. Excuses are for losers. It’s clear why we haven’t won since 2000. Bad coaches. The end. Did you know Oklahoma went through four coaches in nine years until they found Stoops? Notre Dame went through lowly Davie, Willingham, and Weis until they landed Brian Kelly. Despite all of its inherent advantages in location, tradition, and culture -- USC was awful in the years before Carrol and awful after him. Why has Miami been bad recently? Alabama was bad before Saban and went through three coaches in ten years. The difference between UW and all those programs is that people accepted the fucking doog excuses: he needs more time. Buy into the system. The culture of college football has changed. Be happy we're even in the conversation.

I always respected ND for firing Willingham knowing full well the PC backlash would be enormous. He was the only coach in their history who couldn't recruit and was famous for disappearing on golf courses for hours on end. One story in particular: they had a top recruit waiting in Willingham's office for six fucking hours and their AD had to personally go to the golf course and drag Willignham back to campus.

VTech was a perennial doormat until Beamer arrived. Jim Harbaugh turned a bunch of soft, finesse Stanford kids into the meanest, toughest SOBs in the land. Those Stanford teams were on par with Willingham's UW squads before Harbaugh arrived.

With the exception of Frank Beamer, every current top CFB coach (source: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-09/college-football-coach-rankings-nick-saban-chris-petersen-urban-meyer-les-miles) proved they were tier 1 by their fourth year. I measured tier 1 by BCS bowl and/or national championship and/or conference championship and/or .700% winning.

I hope I am proven wrong, but Sark would be a huge outlier if he managed to turn us into a consistent BCS-contending team.

Thank you captain fucking obvious. Some good points but year 5, not 4 is a standard measure, unless you coach at ND, Michigan, Texas and Georgia, and a. few others
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Gladstone said:

Everything!

Thank you captain fucking obvious. Some good points but year 5, not 4 is a standard measure, unless you coach at ND, Michigan, Texas and Georgia, and a. few others
    Three years is enough. We went through all this in 2007.
  • Options
    If by year three the coach hasn't established himself it's time to move on.

If by year five you are still wondering if your coach is the guy then he should have been fired two years earlier.

Did some of you guys learn nothing from the Ty experience?!
  • Options

Sark won't ever turn us into that because he doesn't recruit or develop lineman worth a shit.

You are right coaching is everything. Look at Florida with Spurrier then with Zook then back with Meyer to now.

Granted some schools have more built in advantages than others but UW should never have had the decade we just had.

If UW hired a top notch coach with our resources, talent and advantages we'd be in the RB within 3 years I truly believe that.

Doogs need to wake up and realize its all coaching. Sark is average, Ty was a bum, so was Gilby yet they were in denial the entire time.

Gilbertson should have been given an interim job. That's what real football schools like Ohio State do. We never should have hired notre shame's leftovers either. And that black cunt who shaved het head in protest after Notre Dame fired Tytanic must feel pretty f****** stupid now.
    Real football schools would have "supported" Rick to get through that 2003 team that had some predicting a Rose Bowl. Then fire him after the year to hire a good coach.

Gilby should have been an interim and his last game should have been the Apple Cup.

The Ty era should have never happened and definitely not given a fourth year.

Hiring a guy who was only a coordinator for two years as head coach should have never happened.

He should have never seen a year five probably not seen a year four either.

So many fuck ups this program has made in the past decade and is still making.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,208
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Gilbertson should have been given an interim job. That's what real football schools like Ohio State do. We never should have hired notre shame's leftovers either. And that black cunt who shaved het head in protest after Notre Dame fired Tytanic must feel pretty f****** stupid now.
    Real football schools would have "supported" Rick to get through that 2003 team that had some predicting a Rose Bowl. Then fire him after the year to hire a good coach.

Gilby should have been an interim and his last game should have been the Apple Cup.

Hiring a guy who was only a coordinator for two years as head coach should have never happened.

Word to your moms
  • Options

IrishDoog voted this comment down because he was a big fan of the Ty era.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Gladstone said:

Everything!

You don't understand the challenge we have with our high academic standards. All of the schools you mentioned, save for Stanford, are inferior to UW academically. We have to maintain that and maintain our tradition of class. We can't just bring in every yahoo who can run fast and jump high. This is UW. Think Virginia, Duke, Stanford, Michigan ... we're like that. We could be as good as any program in the country, but we're an academic institution first.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,322
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You would have fired Frank Beamer!!!!!
  • Options

IrishDoog voted this comment down because he was a big fan of the Ty era.
    Irish was a Tybot you can tell. Tybot's always expose themselves.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I wonder if fans, especially doogs, would be satisfied with a Beameresque level of success at UW:

2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3
    8-4
    10-2
    10-2
    7-5
    9-3
    11-1
    11-1
    8-4
    10-4
    8-5
    10-3
    11-2
    10-3
    11-3
    10-4
    10-3
    11-3
    11-3
    7-6

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,322
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The doogz love Beamer
  • Options
    Frank Beamer is Mike Bellotti. Whole lot of slightly above average with one blip of greatness.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    13 years out of 26 with 10+ wins. Compared to Sark , fucker looks like Bear Bryant. Sad huh?
  • Options
    Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic
    How much does Haurbaugh earn? Let's throw 10M a year at him.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Gladstone said:

Everything!

Three years is enough. We went through all this in 2007.

agreed. Take this fucking shit to the dead horses bored. I'm trying to figure out how to get EA over to chow down on some oyster stew......

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,832
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

I wonder if fans, especially doogs, would be satisfied with a Beameresque level of success at UW:

2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3
    8-4
    10-2
    10-2
    7-5
    9-3
    11-1
    11-1
    8-4
    10-4
    8-5
    10-3
    11-2
    10-3
    11-3
    10-4
    10-3
    11-3
    11-3
    7-6

over the past 20 years he's way better than warshington's coaches...so if the question was would I take Beamer over having one semi decent coach, two average ones and two bad ones, sure, Beamer looks pretty good, even though there was a loss to a FCS school thrown in there.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Agree with Bill. Beamer never really got over the hump, but winning 10+ for 8 straight years is pretty impressive. He's definitely too good to fire, but I would understand some Hokie fans being upset about always being good, but not great.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Beamer's big issue the last decade is winning games that matter. He has made some decent bowels, but I only recall him winning the Orange once, in like 07 or 08 - correct me if I am wrong. He has made some big bowels, but usually gets plungered when he gets there.