Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Doc Rivers

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Stevens is outcoaching Budenholtzer big time right now. When Stevens put Smart on Milsap Atlanta didn't have an answer. They just looked totally confused at what to do. Then when you look at the steaming pile of shit that was drawn up at the end of regulation in Game 4 and it's hard for me to say he's an elite coach. He's very good. But not elite.

We'll see where Thibs ends up in the next few years in Minnesota. I really feel like he's in a better position there compared to Chicago.

SVG is a really good coach ... not sure if he's elite ... but he's very good.

I absolutely agree with Walton likely being a very good coach. One of the things that you see as a trait with the very good coaches is that while it's very clear that they know their stuff, they maintain their poise, and are undeniably truthful to their team.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Popovich
    Kerr
    Carlisle
    Spoelstra
    Stephens

Would probably be my top 5, those there's a few guys I wouldn't argue against too hard in those last 2 spots.

If you're gonna have Stephens on the list, you gotta have Stotts above him IMO. Portland has 2 good players and the rest are cast offs that he directed to a 5 spot in the West and a possible 2nd rd date with the Warriors. He's the coach of the year and it's not close. Carlisle has had 1 playoff run tot he championship. Other than that they don't get past the 2nd rd.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

dnc said:

Popovich
    Kerr
    Carlisle
    Spoelstra
    Stephens

Would probably be my top 5, those there's a few guys I wouldn't argue against too hard in those last 2 spots.

If you're gonna have Stephens on the list, you gotta have Stotts above him IMO. Portland has 2 good players and the rest are cast offs that he directed to a 5 spot in the West and a possible 2nd rd date with the Warriors. He's the coach of the year and it's not close. Carlisle has had 1 playoff run tot he championship. Other than that they don't get past the 2nd rd.
    Disagree
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2016
    salemcoog said:

dnc said:

Popovich
    Kerr
    Carlisle
    Spoelstra
    Stephens

Portland's 2 good players is more than anyone thought Boston had.

I think Stotts is probably pretty good but he still has a career losing record. Stotts has 0 championships in 8 seasons, Carlisle has 1 in 14 seasons. Stotts has never gone further than the conference semifinals (which he made once), Carlisle has gone at least that far 6 times and past them 3 times.

I understand Stotts has overachieved, but it's not like Carlisle's had stocked rosters either. I'd take him over Stotts. Stotts is probably around number 10.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2016
    dnc said:

Popovich
    Kerr
    Carlisle
    Spoelstra
    Stephens

I'd add Terry Stotts on the list as well. He took a team of Lillard, Mccollum, and a bunch of rejects, and turned them into a 5 seed.

In Stott's defense, he did have a 6 year break between Milwaukee and Portland. Maybe 6 years of perspective changed him...
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So who is the tallest midget?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Popovich, Kerr, Carlisle and Spoelstra have rings so they're not midgets. So I guess it's Stevens.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Popovich, Kerr, Carlisle and Spoelstra have rings so they're not midgets. So I guess it's Stevens.
    It's hard IMO to adequately judge Spoelstra at this point ... we really need to understand what he's able to get out of a team that wasn't stacked. Losing to Charlotte would be a real mark against IMO.

Even with Pat Riley, I don't think I would have given him the credit that he deserves if he didn't go on to have success with the Knicks (playing a completely different style) and with Miami (with even less talent).
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 2016
    pretty serviceable, top half of the league PG back in the day

I don't really follow the NBA closely enough to judge him much, but the Clips seems like they're slight underachievers. They're usually the fourth seed and they never make the conference finals. Maybe Balmer drops the ax. He had the big three plus Rondo in Bawston. Shit, FM Bill could win 60 gaymes with that.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    People here use to suck off Doc similar to Todd Graham.
  • Options
    I think Doc is as bad as many here make him out to be ... he probably is in a bit over his head as Head Coach AND GM ... but whatever on that.

They aren't beating anybody in a series when they lose both Griffin and Paul ... particularly Paul.

I do think it's a mistake by GM Doc to say that he's not open to trading any of his Big 3 ... but whatever on that as well.

The one that I'll definitely throw on him is blowing the series last year to Houston up 3-1 ... that was terrible.