Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The long con

Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
edited September 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Here's a twisted take to consider. Sark's comments after each game, especially the last, reminded me of the movie The Music Man and Professor Harold Hill's "Think System" for learning music. Here is a brief summary, for which the parallels to Coach Sark and his "Expect to Win" mantra are apparent:

The Music Man stars Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill, a traveling con-man who coerces parents into buying musical instruments and uniforms, by telling them he's starting a boys' marching band in the town of River City, Iowa. Hill has no musical training. He's famous for his success as a salesperson, albeit a criminal one; he's charismatic, and seductive, and a good dancer. Shirley Jones co-stars as Marian Paroo, also known as Marian the Librarian. Marian, an equally good dancer, is suspicious of Professor Hill from the start. She suspects he's up to no good, while the rest of the town eats up everything he tells them.

Sark has always insisted the team is close, now more so than ever. The belief system is all Sark has. Is the belief system enough now? That is, has Sark assembled enough talent and coaching personnel that there is sufficient substance there to give life to the belief? If they believe it, really believe it, is it possible the team achieves more than the lack of discipline, incompetent head coaching, softness, and weak lines suggest is attainable?

Stranger things have happened. If Sark somehow pulls off 10 or more regular season wins in 2013, I will be surprised. But, I think I will also be unsatisfied. He is out of character with UW football tradition. He seems to be running a con on the Husky faithful, and too many are still "eating up everything he tells them."

Comments

• jmc84jmc84 Member Posts: 499
    Take this to the broadway musical bored.
  • fadawgfadawg Member Posts: 7

Here's a twisted take to consider. Sark's comments after each game, especially the last, reminded me of the movie The Music Man and Professor Harold Hill's "Think System" for learning music. Here is a brief summary, for which the parallels to Coach Sark and his "Expect to Win" mantra are apparent:

The Music Man stars Robert Preston as Professor Harold Hill, a traveling con-man who coerces parents into buying musical instruments and uniforms, by telling them he's starting a boys' marching band in the town of River City, Iowa. Hill has no musical training. He's famous for his success as a salesperson, albeit a criminal one; he's charismatic, and seductive, and a good dancer. Shirley Jones co-stars as Marian Paroo, also known as Marian the Librarian. Marian, an equally good dancer, is suspicious of Professor Hill from the start. She suspects he's up to no good, while the rest of the town eats up everything he tells them.

Sark has always insisted the team is close, now more so than ever. The belief system is all Sark has. Is the belief system enough now? That is, has Sark assembled enough talent and coaching personnel that there is sufficient substance there to give life to the belief? If they believe it, really believe it, is it possible the team achieves more than the lack of discipline, incompetent head coaching, softness, and weak lines suggest is attainable?

Stranger things have happened. If Sark somehow pulls off 10 or more regular season wins in 2013, I will be surprised. But, I think I will also be unsatisfied. He is out of character with UW football tradition. He seems to be running a con on the Husky faithful, and too many are still "eating up everything he tells them."

That statement pretty much sums it all up.......
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Marion the Barbarian > Marian the Librarian

Simple fact
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,670 Founders Club
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Disagree.
    dnc said:

Simple fact

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Yeah, but we need to wait a couple more game to see if they are better than last year.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    AZDuck said:

Disagree.

dnc said:

Simple fact

Brb, JO.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

AZDuck said:

Disagree.

dnc said: